Do you pray every day?

For rasta it's not about praying, it's about living peace and harmony 24/7. Non violence rasta man unite

I really don’t comprehend the purpose of praying. I don’t believe in that belligerent thug from the bible; I don’t believe that God is omni-everything. For instance, what would God do if two opposing basketball teams were each coached by 2 born-again Christians, and each prayed to win. Would God throw 1 Christian under the bus, I mean there must be a winner? There’s way too many debatable points considering the bible for it to be valid, IMO.

But I do believe that praying to a higher power is healthy and sets a perspective in your life.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
I really don’t comprehend the purpose of praying. I don’t believe in that belligerent thug from the bible; I don’t believe that God is omni-everything. For instance, what would God do if two opposing basketball teams were each coached by 2 born-again Christians, and each prayed to win. Would God throw 1 Christian under the bus, I mean there must be a winner? There’s way too many debatable points considering the bible for it to be valid, IMO.

But I do believe that praying to a higher power is healthy and sets a perspective in your life.

And what makes you think God interfers in basketball games like that?

Well isn't it his responsibility to answer any prayers from his beleivers? I mean, his son states that whatever you pray for, it will be granted. He didn't put any stipulations or limits on them. So in that scenario, the winning team will swear that God granted answered their prayer, while the losing team will claim it was "personal gain" or other nonsense.

That's why I don't care for Christianity. It was imposed on blacks and it splits the white race up, and it has too many weak links to be a valid religion.

Well isn't it his responsibility to answer any prayers from his beleivers? I mean, his son states that whatever you pray for, it will be granted. He didn't put any stipulations or limits on them. So in that scenario, the winning team will swear that God granted answered their prayer, while the losing team will claim it was "personal gain" or other nonsense.

That's why I don't care for Christianity. It was imposed on blacks and it splits the white race up, and it has too many weak links to be a valid religion.

The answer is sometimes no.

Or just when you feel the need to, like if somebody is sick, or you're needing guidance.

I pray every day.

Never pray. Ever. Not even in times when most people assume I would pray.

I am not a superstitious person and I do not believe in supernatural phenomena.

---

"This I believe: I believe there is no God."

Having taken that step, it informs every moment of my life. I'm not greedy. I have love, blue skies, rainbows and Hallmark cards, and that has to be enough....

Believing there is no God means the suffering I've seen in my family, and indeed all the suffering in the world, isn't caused by an omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent force that isn't bothered to help or is just testing us, but rather something we all may be able to help others with in the future. No God means the possibility of less suffering in the future.

Believing there is no God gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O and all the other things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have.
-there are others at this link who state what they believe, and it might parallel your words...

I've never really thought of God as supernatural. He's as natural as any one of us. It's interesting how different perspectives influence people.

your god isn't a supernatural being? :lol:

Or just when you feel the need to, like if somebody is sick, or you're needing guidance.

I pray every day.

Never pray. Ever. Not even in times when most people assume I would pray.

I am not a superstitious person and I do not believe in supernatural phenomena.

---

"This I believe: I believe there is no God."

Having taken that step, it informs every moment of my life. I'm not greedy. I have love, blue skies, rainbows and Hallmark cards, and that has to be enough....

Believing there is no God means the suffering I've seen in my family, and indeed all the suffering in the world, isn't caused by an omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent force that isn't bothered to help or is just testing us, but rather something we all may be able to help others with in the future. No God means the possibility of less suffering in the future.

Believing there is no God gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O and all the other things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have.
-there are others at this link who state what they believe, and it might parallel your words...

Just something to consider. I pray, but I don't pray to a supernatural being. I pray to get my mind in a receptive state for meditation. I'm praying to the potential of all beings to awaken to Buddha nature.

prayer takes many forms. it isn't so much about the prayer as it is about to whom or what the prayers are directed.

I do not pray...and it appears that both bad things and good things happen to those I care about at the same rate as when I did pray.

Instead, I focus my mental energy on the things that I can actively change. For instance, rather than attending a prayer service for an ill family member, I would spend several hours researching what forms of nutrition are best for combating the illness in question, and purchasing those items for said relative.

If, after I die, some God asks me why I never phoned, I'll explain that I was too busy attempting to fix his mistakes.

Last edited:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N95bxwTR2SI]YouTube - Alan Jackson-What a friend we have in Jesus[/ame]

Some days, through out the day.

Thats one of the problems today, people taking bits and pieces of text from the bible. You didn't give vthe complete verse John 14:13: “And whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.”

The answer is sometimes no.

Not according to Jesus. He says WHATEVER you pray for, it will be granted; like God's a genie or something. You wouldn't be disagreeing with Jesus would you?

Thats one of the problems today, people taking bits and pieces of text from the bible. You didn't give vthe complete verse John 14:13: “And whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.”

The main and sole reason why people believe in a God. The bible IS the rule of authority for Christians. They believe their diety spoke to ancient tribals, hence it is the word of God. It was written and intended for the uneducated masses, and was put together and composed by man, not God. Whether Christians claim it was inspired by God is irrelevant, I could very well write a book about how Superman exists, and claim I was inspired by God to write it and be right in saying so. But I will say that Christians' heart is in the right place, as I think it is healthy to beleive in something greater that yourself, I think they're just a little misguided, that's all.

The main and sole reason why people believe in a God. The bible IS the rule of authority for Christians. They believe their diety spoke to ancient tribals, hence it is the word of God. It was written and intended for the uneducated masses, and was put together and composed by man, not God. Whether Christians claim it was inspired by God is irrelevant, I could very well write a book about how Superman exists, and claim I was inspired by God to write it and be right in saying so. But I will say that Christians' heart is in the right place, as I think it is healthy to beleive in something greater that yourself, I think they're just a little misguided, that's all.

I bet it wouldn't survive the way the bible has.

I bet it wouldn't survive the way the bible has.

It all depends on what the future holds. Let's use a "hypothetical" and say that there's a nuclear war and all of humanity is wiped out. Now in 10,000 or so years people once again begin to re-populate earth. They are digging and find my Superman book that claims that God inspired me to write it. In that case, it very well can reach the popularity of the bible, hell it CAN be the bible. But in today's world, you're right, it wouldn't survive like the bible.

But I so despise when Christians quote passages from the bible to show that God exists. In the same fashion, I could quote Stan Lee comics and show that Spiderman exists. The bible was written by many different authors, consisting of many different books. All of it was distorted by men based on their ideas and prejudices at the time. Half of the horse manure in the bible is meant to reinforce the idea of how you must worship God, he basically wrote a 2,000 page book about himself, in order to brag about himself. The mere fact that anybody can find obvious contradictions in it, is enough reason for me to discount it.

New Topics

Forum List

Back