Do you pay attention to media polls? If so, why?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BasicGreatGuy, Aug 10, 2009.

1. BasicGreatGuy

BasicGreatGuy Aut libertas aut mors

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +427
    Are you one to pay attention to media polls? If so, why? What is the purpose? In my opinion, media polls are nothing but attempts by the political hacks and media at large, to try and herd the political sheep into the corner they want them in. Do you want your employee basing their actions on media polls?

2. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,428
    Never. Not only do I not pay attention, when I receive polling calls or mailings I read or listen to the questions, determine their intent (based on what is being asked and how it is phrased) then skew my response to skew the results as much as possible. Now if it is ligitimate polling I answer honestly.

3. BasicGreatGuy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +427
    You start your response with "never," and then half-way through the post, you speak of participation. Can't have it both ways. ;)

I see so many on various forums paying attention to polls and debating the results thereof, as if we are to govern ourselves by polls.

When you give polls meaning and base your action on them, you are in effect giving the media and political hacks what they want. You are telling them that public opinion means more than the letter of the law.

** I was using "you" in a general and plural sense. I was not singling you out.

4. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,104
    Yes, to some extent.

Generally, media polls are a fairly accurate reflection of the popular mood. It helps shape legislation.

5. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Which explains why legislation keeps getting screwed up.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If9EWDB_zK4]YouTube - Penn and Teller Defend Ron Paul vs. Luntz and Fox News[/ame]

6. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,428
    You start your response with "never," and then half-way through the post, you speak of participation. Can't have it both ways.

I see so many on various forums paying attention to polls and debating the results thereof, as if we are to govern ourselves by polls.

When you give polls meaning and base your action on them, you are in effect giving the media and political hacks what they want. You are telling them that public opinion means more than the letter of the law.

** I was using "you" in a general and plural sense. I was not singling you out.

Oops, I sould have clarified. 'Never' was a joke. And yes, I understood the "you" usage.;)

7. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    The only polls I pay attention to have to do with really important issues, like who has the best pizza in town.

8. BasicGreatGuy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +427
    lol There is validity in that response. :cool: That is called wisdom.

9. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    All wisdom can be found in truly good pepperoni. ;)

But seriously? There are issues where people's opinions matter. Like good pizza. Then there are issues where one should never, ever make a decision under the influence of other people's opinions. Like politics. Listen to different sides, seek out different angles, sure. But if you're sitting on the bandwagon at the end of the day just because all the cool kids are there, all it means is you can't think for yourself. Polls are enablers, I despise them.

10. BasicGreatGuy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +427
    The popular mood of group X should be used to create and pass legislation, regardless of whether or not said mood (read: sentiment) is congruent with the state of federal Constitution?

Do you normally base your actions on the popular mood of others? If the popular mood of X group said they feel like their is no hope left for the Republic, and they are going to drink the laced Kool-Aid, you think that that is poll is accurate of the whole, and should be used to shape legislation?

Is the Constitution our compass or our feelings with media polls?