Do you pay attention to media polls? If so, why?

BasicGreatGuy

Aut libertas aut mors
Aug 2, 2009
Atlanta
Are you one to pay attention to media polls? If so, why? What is the purpose? In my opinion, media polls are nothing but attempts by the political hacks and media at large, to try and herd the political sheep into the corner they want them in. Do you want your employee basing their actions on media polls?

Never. Not only do I not pay attention, when I receive polling calls or mailings I read or listen to the questions, determine their intent (based on what is being asked and how it is phrased) then skew my response to skew the results as much as possible. Now if it is ligitimate polling I answer honestly.

Never. Not only do I not pay attention, when I receive polling calls or mailings I read or listen to the questions, determine their intent (based on what is being asked and how it is phrased) then skew my response to skew the results as much as possible. Now if it is ligitimate polling I answer honestly.

You start your response with "never," and then half-way through the post, you speak of participation. Can't have it both ways. ;)

I see so many on various forums paying attention to polls and debating the results thereof, as if we are to govern ourselves by polls.

When you give polls meaning and base your action on them, you are in effect giving the media and political hacks what they want. You are telling them that public opinion means more than the letter of the law.

** I was using "you" in a general and plural sense. I was not singling you out.

Yes, to some extent.

Generally, media polls are a fairly accurate reflection of the popular mood. It helps shape legislation.

Which explains why legislation keeps getting screwed up.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If9EWDB_zK4]YouTube - Penn and Teller Defend Ron Paul vs. Luntz and Fox News[/ame]

You start your response with "never," and then half-way through the post, you speak of participation. Can't have it both ways.

I see so many on various forums paying attention to polls and debating the results thereof, as if we are to govern ourselves by polls.

When you give polls meaning and base your action on them, you are in effect giving the media and political hacks what they want. You are telling them that public opinion means more than the letter of the law.

** I was using "you" in a general and plural sense. I was not singling you out.

Oops, I sould have clarified. 'Never' was a joke. And yes, I understood the "you" usage.;)

The only polls I pay attention to have to do with really important issues, like who has the best pizza in town.

The only polls I pay attention to have to do with really important issues, like who has the best pizza in town.

lol There is validity in that response. :cool: That is called wisdom.

All wisdom can be found in truly good pepperoni. ;)

But seriously? There are issues where people's opinions matter. Like good pizza. Then there are issues where one should never, ever make a decision under the influence of other people's opinions. Like politics. Listen to different sides, seek out different angles, sure. But if you're sitting on the bandwagon at the end of the day just because all the cool kids are there, all it means is you can't think for yourself. Polls are enablers, I despise them.

Yes, to some extent.

Generally, media polls are a fairly accurate reflection of the popular mood. It helps shape legislation.

The popular mood of group X should be used to create and pass legislation, regardless of whether or not said mood (read: sentiment) is congruent with the state of federal Constitution?

Do you normally base your actions on the popular mood of others? If the popular mood of X group said they feel like their is no hope left for the Republic, and they are going to drink the laced Kool-Aid, you think that that is poll is accurate of the whole, and should be used to shape legislation?

Is the Constitution our compass or our feelings with media polls?

very few objective polls...most polls are commissioned by someone wanting to promote an agenda..that is why the poll questioned are worded as they are..it is simply another proganda tool....

But seriously? There are issues where people's opinions matter. Like good pizza. Then there are issues where one should never, ever make a decision under the influence of other people's opinions. Like politics. Listen to different sides, seek out different angles, sure. But if you're sitting on the bandwagon at the end of the day just because all the cool kids are there, all it means is you can't think for yourself. Polls are enablers, I despise them.

I agree. I see it as willing manipulation as well. It is a shame that so many who like to think of themselves a politically astute, are some of the worst offenders, when it comes to the sheep poll herding. They don't even seem to realize they are being manipulated.

very few objective polls...most polls are commissioned by someone wanting to promote an agenda..that is why the poll questioned are worded as they are..it is simply another proganda tool....

That is true. The big media outlets along with the political talking heads like Rush, Sean, Neal etc. are the worst offenders. Instead of shunning the garbage, they use them as part of their talking points.

The popular mood of group X should be used to create and pass legislation, regardless of whether or not said mood (read: sentiment) is congruent with the state of federal Constitution?

Do you normally base your actions on the popular mood of others? If the popular mood of X group said they feel like their is no hope left for the Republic, and they are going to drink the laced Kool-Aid, you think that that is poll is accurate of the whole, and should be used to shape legislation?

Do I normally base my actions based on the popular mood of others? If it effects politics, then if politics effects the economy, it effects the capital markets, and therefore it effects me.

Politicians are effected by polls. It is important to pay attention to polls if you follow the political process. And since the political process effects the economy, then polls are of interest to me.

Do I normally base my actions based on the popular mood of others? If it effects politics, then if politics effects the economy, it effects the capital markets, and therefore it effects me.

Politicians are effected by polls. It is important to pay attention to polls if you follow the political process. And since the political process effects the economy, then polls are of interest to me.

Politicians who base their actions on polls, are political whores. Their actions should be based on the Constitution, not the mental masturbation sighs of Suzy and John Q. Public, who just participated in a political poll.

I am not talking about being obtuse just so you can say you were the only one being obtuse. I am talking about standing on principle, instead of popular opinion. You want mob rule?

I agree. I see it as willing manipulation as well. It is a shame that so many who like to think of themselves a politically astute, are some of the worst offenders, when it comes to the sheep poll herding. They don't even seem to realize they are being manipulated.

How many times a day are we subtly reminded to conform to the herd? Whether its an ad for toothpaste, a history class or a political poll, the messages are so pervasive I'm not sure any of us are completely aware of all the ways we're manipulated. We're too accustomed to it.

Politicians who base their actions on polls, are political whores. Their actions should be based on the Constitution, not the mental masturbation sighs of Suzy and John Q. Public, who just participated in a political poll.

I am not talking about being obtuse just so you can say you were the only one being obtuse. I am talking about standing on principle, instead of popular opinion. You want mob rule?

You asked in the OP if people pay attention to polls and why. You didn't ask about principal or philosophy or law.

Forum List

Back