Do You Parrot Your Favorite Commentators?

Are You a Parrot of Your Favorite Commentators?

• Total voters

BakshisMouse

Rookie
Jun 28, 2011
I parrot my favorite commentators. I freely admit it.

Skip the following italicized paragraphs for the short version.
While taking an introductory economics class, I did a research project on different economic views. At this time, I was a fan of Neal Boortz’s radio show, and generally agreed with libertarian economic thinking. I thought I would do a report Keynesianism, just to see if I could find anything that could re-enforce my views. I heard about how Paul Krugman was the biggest Keynesian around, so I gave his blog a read.

My project, a powerpoint, got a good grade, but now that I look back on it, it missed the whole point of Keynesianism. However, Paul Krugman so intrigued me that I searched out similar views. He and people of similar minds so convinced me to his side, and they so educated me on economic and finance issues, that their influence is one of the reasons I am pursuing a degree in finance at college.

So I parrot Paul Krugman, Brad DeLong and Mark Thoma. I’ll even parrot Republican economists if the occasion arises. The late Milton Friedman was obviously right about a lot of things. Greg Mankiw clearly has a thinking head on his shoulders. (By the way, Mankiw was Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers to Bush Jr. and he is a current adviser to Mitt Romney. He even wrote the textbook my class used.)

I came to parrot these people on my own. These people’s views were not forced upon me.

However, the main point of this thread is to find out about the members of this board. Are they willing to admit they parrot their favorite commentators? If they are, are they willing to discuss how they came upon their favorite sources?

If you doubt this subject’s relevance to today’s issues, google “political socialization”.

Note 1: The posters who choose the option of “No” should have to explain why they think they are not parrots. If they don’t, they’re at risk of being branded dishonest hacks.

Note 2: Any poster who snipes at another poster for his or her favorite commentators to parrot from without voting in this poll is automatically branded as a dishonest hack.

Last edited:
I do not parrot. However, I have learned a great deal from several commentators especially my favorite commentator, Mark Levin.

I always get a "thrill up my leg" when I hear him articulating something I have been saying or thinking. Granted, he does it in a more precise fashion. But still. Any time I see that happening, I feel like I am getting pretty solid with the underlying political philosophy.

I don't parrot anyone because I rarely pay attention to any talking head. The answer is no in my case, I can't remember the last time watched any of them.

• Banned
I do not parrot. However, I have learned a great deal from several commentators especially my favorite commentator, Mark Levin.

I always get a "thrill up my leg" when I hear him articulating something I have been saying or thinking. Granted, he does it in a more precise fashion. But still. Any time I see that happening, I feel like I am getting pretty solid with the underlying political philosophy.

That's semantics, in my opinion, but it's a pretty honest answer.

I guess I'm not exactly a parrot if I can phrase my opinions in different wordings from the original, but I still depend quite heavily on my sources.

I do not read/watch anyone's blog or web site or show or whatever, unless someone posts a link to a blog/web site/etc to support their particular argument, so it is not possible for me to parrot anyone.

I can usually tell when someone is parroting a party line when I hear the same defective memes being posted over and over and over by more than one poster. That's always fun. Sort of like chopping the heads off a Hydra. As soon as you delouse one partisan hack, two more spring up to replace them.

• Banned
I take inspiration from the commentators I like, no question about it. Do I parrot? I don't think so, only because I don't agree 100% with 100% of what they say.

I certainly also don't agree with everything all of my sources say. I have sources that say opposite things on the same issues, so how could I, anyway?

But does that alone make my thoughts my own?

I often agree with different commentators when I listen. I don't repeat what they say and usually have no trouble putting my feelings in my own words. I form opinions based on what I see politicians doing or saying. My opinion of different people or politicians come from my observations of them, not a talk show host, reporter or commentator.

I'd say most of my posts are disagreeing with something I have heard or read rather than merely agreeing with something and echoing another person.

I hate when people constantly ask for links. I think the assumption is that posters must have just read or heard something and that is why they are posting it, when really they are just stating their opinion that has been formed over many years. There are no links to one's own opinion and when a poster brings up something from years ago that they remember, the other posters can look it up just as easily. I think asking for links is a diversion because when I do find links, it seems to be a conversation killer.

Even when I post an article, I add my own two cents. My opinion is mine and mine alone, though we have to understand that many others have come to the same conclusions as we have. We also learn from each other because posters will often expand on what you've said or have a unique perspective to consider. That doesn't mean people are parroting anyone, it just means they are on the same page.

Last edited:
I often agree with different commentators when I listen. I don't repeat what they say and usually have no trouble putting my feelings in my own words. I form opinions based on what I see politicians doing or saying. My opinion of different people or politicians come from my observations of them, not a talk show host, reporter or commentator.

I'd say most of my posts are disagreeing with something I have heard or read rather than merely agreeing with something and echoing another person.

I hate when people constantly ask for links. I think the assumption is that posters must have just read or heard something and that is why they are posting it, when really they are just stating their opinion that has been formed over many years. There are no links to one's own opinion and when a poster brings up something from years ago that they remember, the other posters can look it up just as easily. I think asking for links is a diversion because when I do find links, it seems to be a conversation killer.

Even when I post an article, I add my own two cents. My opinion is mine and mine alone, though we have to understand that many others have come to the same conclusions as we have. We also learn from each other because posters will often expand on what you said or have a unique perspective to consider. That doesn't mean people are parroting anyone, it just means they are on the same page.

Everything you say is correct, in my opinion, except for a few qualifications on the bolded.

Asking for confirmation of basic facts with links should always be accepted. However, to start a he-said-she-said game is stupid in the first place.

Even when I post an article, I add my own two cents. My opinion is mine and mine alone, though we have to understand that many others have come to the same conclusions as we have. We also learn from each other because posters will often expand on what you said or have a unique perspective to consider. That doesn't mean people are parroting anyone, it just means they are on the same page.

Everything you say is correct, in my opinion, except for a few qualifications on the bolded.

Asking for confirmation of basic facts with links should always be accepted. However, to start a he-said-she-said game is stupid in the first place.

Perhaps I should clarify. I get asked for links for things that I believe are fairly well known. I provide a link if I stumble across an interesting article, though with the mistrust of many sources, the links get ridiculed when provided anyway. It is debatable what constitutes a valid source. I love to come back with a HuffnPufff link when possible just so the left can't attack the source. I don't usually get a response when I do that. When I post other sources, I still get no comment on the substance of the article, just the usual dismissal of the source, with a few insults thrown in for good measure. I would say this happens the majority of time I am asked for a link to back up my opinion. They don't really want me to validate my opinion.

Last edited:
Perhaps I should clarify. I get asked for links for things that I believe are fairly well known. I provide a link if I stumble across an interesting article, though with the mistrust of many sources, the links get ridiculed when provided anyway. It is debatable what constitutes a valid source. I love to come back with a HuffnPufff link when possible just so the left can't attack the source. I don't usually get a response when I do that. When I post other sources, I still get no comment on the substance of the article, just the usual dismissal of the source, with a few insults thrown in for good measure. I would say this happens the majority of time I am asked for a link to back up my opinion. They don't really want me to validate my opinion.

Attacking the source publication is always, always! sure proof that you are a dishonest hack.

On the other hand, categorically dismissing what some individuals say as untrue, while not the best way to go about life, in all practicality saves you much time without depriving yourself of informed, strong opinions.

There are catch phrases and subjects of conversation (talking points) that must be repeated in order to refine the understanding by both sides of what is being said. Though these repetitions of words or phrases may seem to qualify as parroting, I believe they merely represent our common goal of being clearly understood by those that read or hear what we say. Topics of interest change continually, bringing up new conversations that become temporarily attached to the list of hot topics...making it seem as if EVERYBODY is parroting when in fact it is only that there is obvious benefit in adherence to a defined vocabulary.

This leaves francoHFW as the only one who voted no and still has not explained his choice.

I do not parrot my favorite commentators. My favorite commentators echo me. That's why they are my favorite commentators.

You took the words right off my keyboard... I started listening to some of the bigger names when I heard them parrot the thoughts I had in my head regarding a particular subject. The more this happens, the more I listen to said hacks shows...

Most are better at articulating thoughts better than I, but then thats why they get paid the big bucks right?

Forum List

Back