Do you make more than $71,206 per year?

Do you make more than $71,206 per year?

• Yes

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 51.7%

• Total voters
The average federal worker's pay is $71,206.

Do you make more than this?

Note, do not include, say, your spouses pay. For example, if you make $50,000/year and your spouse makes $50,000/year, your answer would be 'No' (since you make less than $71,206/year).

This poll is private. Thank you for playing.

USATODAY.com

I work for the federal government and I make twice that. I am also highly educated and have thirty years experience. Most in the private sector with similar responsibilities would not take my job because they would take a cut in pay and benefits.
The federal government has contracted out all lower paying jobs. It was part of the competition initiatives in place since Reagan.
80% of the people I work with have at least 20 years experience and advanced degrees.
Lots of people have advanced degrees and comparable experience. They still don't make that much. Of course, many make more.

So you make twice that average amount, what are your degrees in?

Actually, I worked in a government lab and they paid far below what I would make at a private lab. Far below. And I don't think this number is correct. I didn't make anywhere close to that. Like maybe 1/3 of that.

Thank you for bringing up that point. The reality is that someone who earns six figures from a government job could most likely make multiples of that number in the private sector.

What do you base that on?

Nope.

I didn't make anywhere near that when I worked for the gov't either.

I'm what you call an underachiever.

How dare you! Putting your country first! :eek:

Especially when working at Blackwater could make you more than General Petraeus who himself makes $180,000 a year.

I made around 150k a year until I retired. I would have made much less if I had worked for a government agency. I operated a business and employed another engineer, a geologist and 7 technicians as well as 2 office people.
I paid my employees well, a couple of my techs made 70k a year.....but they worked their ass off to do it.
it's the only way to keep the best help.

The average federal worker's pay is $71,206.

Do you make more than this?

Note, do not include, say, your spouses pay. For example, if you make $50,000/year and your spouse makes $50,000/year, your answer would be 'No' (since you make less than $71,206/year).

This poll is private. Thank you for playing.

USATODAY.com

Wonder if this is gross or net? And I wonder how much it would be if you totaled that benefits package,, sick pay, vacation pay and TAX FREE CADILLAC health insurance.. I bet it come close to 100 grand.. and many of them are on here bitching about AMerica all day long.. oh well Perfect people and all that.. :eusa_whistle:

Actually, I worked in a government lab and they paid far below what I would make at a private lab. Far below. And I don't think this number is correct. I didn't make anywhere close to that. Like maybe 1/3 of that.

Thank you for bringing up that point. The reality is that someone who earns six figures from a government job could most likely make multiples of that number in the private sector.

What do you base that on?

life experience. I know what attorneys make in the private sector and I know what attorneys and judges make in the public sector. The average first year associate at a white shoe firm makes more than the judge he isn't even capable of arguing before.

On the other hand, it's a lifestyle choice. You get to have a real life as opposed to one that's work only.

Nope.

I didn't make anywhere near that when I worked for the gov't either.

I'm what you call an underachiever.

Good for you! Your taxes get to pay for these government employees who make more than you. I hope you either have or plan on having a lot of kids to support government employees in the future. The government's growth will continue to outpace the private sector.

A very old thread. Xsited you are missed. Anyways I digress. I make over $100K. Give or take the year and side work I get, I pull in around $115-$130K annually. I Chicago honestly that puts you middle class. Between property taxes, inflation, cost of food, housing and other fees I honestly don't know how a family can survive in Chicago on less than $100K!

Ooops!

Looks like I only have $65,000 in my wallet today...I could have sworn I had $85,000.

I guess that extra $20,000 either ended up in my pocket yesterday (thus in the wash)...or maybe it fell out as I was walking.

Either way, it's not worth my time to go searching.
OK.. I'm not sure I would agree because:
A) The highest denomination in circulation is a $100.00
B) $65,000 would be 650 $100 bills.
C) 100 bills take up one inch in height.
D) 650 bills would be 6 1/2 inches.
Are you telling me you walk around with a billfold with 6 1/2 inches of $100 bills?
Doesn't make sense.
I mean what a way to get mugged!

The government is set up so that pay isn't too high or too low from the lowest paid to the highest paid. I know people in government that make over 90 grand a year and have a high school diploma. At the other end of the spectrum, the very educated make about the same. So....lawyers and doctors make less than they would in the private sector, while secretaries and janitors make more.

Mark

My friends dad worked for the Government and made more than 71,000 when he retired. He also had a BA and a Masters, plus he worked for the Government for 30 + years. While working for the government, he also was transfered to four different cities.
And?

The fact is many federal workers fair much better than their private sector counterparts.
It is not just their wages that are above market rate. The benefits package and the pension program is also superior.
http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/salary-tables/pdf/2014/GS.pdf
So please. Spare us the "poor abused government worker" routine. No one is listening.
BTW, the above is the general schedule. There are other schedules which are based on location.
For example, a federal worker in Dallas makes 20% more than the general schedule.
The same worker in Denver gets a 22.67% bump. In Boston, it's almost 25% above general.Then there is the special schedule. This is for overseas work such as security.
I have an acquaintance through a friend who is a former Navy Seal. He does security for foreign dignitaries. His schedule is much higher than the general rate.
Face it, government work in general is more lucrative than private sector work.
It just is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back