~Do You Look At Prices First??~

Dabs

~Unpredictable~
May 13, 2011
~Tennessee~
When you go to a store to purchase something, do you automatically look at the price tag first??
Or do you know exactly what it is you're getting, so you spot it and toss it into the buggy??

Of course, this goes for the average every day items....such as cereal, or a box of cookies...or paper towels, etc........this wouldn't work for buying a house or car.

I was curious as to how many really take a gander at the price tag first......and if the price is somewhat higher than you expect.....do you sorta go "Whoaaaa"...and stand there and think for a moment whether you need it or not ~LoL~

I know what i need or want....and i always check the prices first. I have to....can't afford the expensive "name brand" stuff usually, and most of the non-name brand stuff is usually just as good!

When you go to a store to purchase something, do you automatically look at the price tag first??
Or do you know exactly what it is you're getting, so you spot it and toss it into the buggy??

Of course, this goes for the average every day items....such as cereal, or a box of cookies...or paper towels, etc........this wouldn't work for buying a house or car.

I was curious as to how many really take a gander at the price tag first......and if the price is somewhat higher than you expect.....do you sorta go "Whoaaaa"...and stand there and think for a moment whether you need it or not ~LoL~

Hell no! I light my cee-gars with century notes. That price checking crap is for the 99%.

Only time I don't check the price is when the Mrs says she wants something. There's cost and then there's COST if you get my drift.

yup, I don't get enough shopping money not to check the price. I also stick to a list. I hate shopping so the less time i'm doing it the happier I am.

Last edited:
I can vividly remember the days where we checked the pennies....... I can remember buying tonights dinner with loose change wishing payday was tomorrow instead of the day after. But these days, I seldom bother looking at the price unless it's a high value item, appliances TV's Phone system etc...

In the grocery store i don't bother, just add it up and swipe my check card.......

I balance the check book at the end of the month.........

I do all the grocery shopping for my family and I always check prices. My wife tells me my nickname should be BOGO. I always get the best possible sales price but I never compromise on quality. As a result of my careful shopping, I get boneless pork chops for $1.79/lb; boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $1.99/lb; sirloin steak for $2.99/lb and ground chuck for $2.19/lb.

Fortunately, where I live we have a number of grocery stores: Winn Dixie, Save-A-Lot, Harvey's (formerly Food Lion), Spires (an AGI store), Publix and Walmart. I generally don't have to wait more than a week or two before each of the meats I like is on sale at one store or the other. This also applies to canned goods, produce and all other groceries.

Don't be afraid to cut your own meat. I can get boneless pork chops for $1.79 because that is what Save-A-Lot charged for a whole pork loin. I cut my own chops which I prefer since I can get them the thickness that I want (I usually cut half the loin into chops and save the other half for a roast). . When I want sirloin steaks, I wait until they're on sale and then I get an additional discount by buying the whole top sirloin and cutting the steaks myself. You can save a lot of cash if you buy a few good knives and learn how to use them. Also, get a grinder. I very seldom see ground chuck or ground round on a BOGO sale, but I often see chuck and round roasts on BOGO, so I buy the roasts and grind them myself.

Some good knives, a grinder and a lot of freezer bags have saved me a fortune in groceries.

Yes, i look at prices.

For instance, I was standing in the Scotch aisle of the liquor store the other day and sitting on the shelf was a $30 bottle of Scotch. On the next shelf up was a $56 bottle of Scotch. I assumed the lesser priced bottle was of poor quality and purchased the $68 bottle of Scotch that was sitting next to the $56 bottle.

Depends, small items...no I really don't look at prices - I buy what it is I want.
I choose based on these criteria - in this order:

1) Quality and value.
2) Made in America. (close second to above)
3) Who is selling it.
4) Price

I will price compare some things at the grocery. Say the small package is $1 and the double sized package is $1.50... ill get the larger package.

Otherwise, no. I know what i need or want and toss it in. The only time i ask for a price is at my silver dealer in NYC. Not asking for a price there could get you into serious bucks.

I most generally know the "round about cost" of most items by now....so if I have to go to the store and run in "right quick"...to grab a few items, such as paper towels, toilet tissue, soda.....I never look at price....just grab it and go.

I do not check food prices on certain favorite items, but do on everything else.

Well I did when I actually went shopping ;)

I always price compare. It is a sport to me. Seriously.

In fact, I store prices in my phone. I store the prices for identical items in every store in my geographical area. This helped me to realize one particular chain was overpriced on everything they sell and so I stopped shopping there years ago.

It is funny you bring this up because I just updated my price list today.

I can even tell you how much prices have changed in the past couple years.

Examples:

12 rolls of toilet paper cost $3.99 in June 2009. And the rolls had 300 sheets per roll.

Today, 12 rolls of toilet paper cost $4.89. And the rolls are 200 sheets now.

A package of 6 bars of Dove soap cost $3.99 in October 2009.

Today, the same package costs $7.99.

Dove soap has literally doubled in price.

A 2 lb box of Krusteaz pancake mix cost $1.82 in August 2010.

Today, the same box costs $3.28.

A box of Quaker instant oatmeal cost $1.99 in January 2010.

Today, the same box costs $2.75.

I have a very long list of dozens of items, and the only thing I found which went down in price since two years ago is V-8 juice.

A 64 oz bottle of V-8 juice sold for $4.29 in January 2010.

Today, the same bottle costs $3.67.

Last edited:
This one store I was talking about that is overpriced on everything cracks me up. They will sell yogurt for, like, 60 cents apiece. Then they will put them on sale for 50 cents, and you will see housewives filling their carts with the yogurt since it is on sale.

And yet the normal price at the grocery store one mile away for the identical brand is 40 cents.

:lol:

My mother was a couponaholic. She would drive 10 miles one way to use a coupon worth 35 cents. When she went shopping she would drive at least 60 miles going to 5 different stores. It took her a solid 8 hours. Her total savings from the coupons was normally around $25. Couldn't make her understand that her time was worth more than that.

Forum List

Back