Do You Like What You Do? ..Or Not?

HUGGY

I Post Because I Care
Mar 24, 2009
Seattle at large...Ballard lately
Me...I like what I do..It is challenging .. I invent things..mostly tools or systems that make a job easier or faster. The building I prototype in reminds one of "Thunderdome". It is an odd collection of artists in glass, metals and machine shops spread out at various levels up down and sideways over most of a city block. It is never boring...everyone is a character.

What do you do? Do you enjoy your occupation?

I love teaching, I love my subject area and the kids. Now my school? Some of the people, yes, others not so much. Still and all, probably the same wherever one works.

First, I'm going to tell you what I used to do.
I spent over 20 years working in warehousing and distribution. I know that's sound boring and mundane, but I loved it. Most of that 20+ years was spent trying to figure out how to make a warehouse function better. How do I take boxes of merchandise off a truck, store it in warehouse, then ship that merchandise via another truck to a store that sells it? How do I make it easier, faster, more efficient for people to move 'stuff' from a manufacturer to a retail outlet where people can buy that 'stuff'? There's nothing glamorous about about that sort of work, but if I can figure out a way to get you a pair of shoes, an alternator or a light bulb more efficiently and cheaper than the store next door simply by moving boxes better than the other guy, I'm worth my weight in diamonds. And I loved the challenge of doing that.

3 years ago I got downsized (fired) from a position doing just that type of work, so I made a career change.

Now, I work in IT for a fortune 500 company. Man oh man, I love this work to. Most people would think that changing from warehousing/distribution to information technology is a huge switch. Hell, I still do the same stuff. Instead of figuring out how to make moving a box from one place to another easier, faster and more efficient, I figure out how to make that computer on some persons desk do what they want it to do (not the desktop computer itself, but the database behind it). I make the computer better do what they want it to do. They tell me what they want the computer to do and I work with code developers and testers to make sure it does what they want it to do. I get challenged everyday, I learn new things everyday, and I love it.

Simple answer, no. It's why I hadn't done anything with computers for work until I had no choice. I don't like to turn my favorite things into work, and now I have. Luckily I have found a new "thing" in computers that isn't work for me, and I will never do my 3D stuff for work, even if I actually do become as good as Pixar modelers. Since I started doing programming and network engineering for a job I actually feel dread when opening an IDE ... bah! I want to go back to working fast food so I don't feel like that when writing code anymore. I always hated fast food, so when I was working in the field at least I wasn't ruining something I love.

I love what I do....I work outside 5-6 days a week as a sheetmetal man tinknocker.....and...in my off time....I enjoy launching copper jacketed projectiles at blistering speed into small targets from great distances.

I'm indifferent to what I do, because I know it's only temporary. Right now I do tax research for an accounting firm. And it's not that I don't like tax, I just don't want to do only tax. Once I finish my degree (December can't come soon enough), I'll be working an internship with Ernst & Young as an auditor. After that, it's on to grad school. From there, who knows?

Me...I like what I do..It is challenging .. I invent things..mostly tools or systems that make a job easier or faster. The building I prototype in reminds one of "Thunderdome". It is an odd collection of artists in glass, metals and machine shops spread out at various levels up down and sideways over most of a city block. It is never boring...everyone is a character.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlnSlFJeqh4]YouTube - Dayglo Abortions - Drink Beer Smoke Pot[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlnSlFJeqh4]YouTube - Dayglo Abortions - Drink Beer Smoke Pot[/ame]

You get paid to drink beer,smokepot and listen to gossip till your ears ring?

Some kinda university phsyco study? Hippy students will pay for damn near anything.

Forum List

Back