Do You Know Your Schools Goals and Objectives?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Interesting find here:

http://sisu.typepad.com/sisu/2005/01/some_needs_are_.html

January 22, 2005
Some needs are more special than others
Forget about statistical differences in math and science ability between women and men (blogged here). The difference that counts is between sensible citizens and clueless school administrators. "According to benchmarks established by administrators, the No. 1 priority for math teachers was teaching 'respect for human differences,'" reports FOXNews:

A columnist at the Newton Tab in Massachusetts suggests that school officials there wondering why scores on standardized math tests have plummeted in recent years look no further than recent curriculum changes for an explanation.

About five years ago, writes Tom Mountain, the Newton school district opted to start emphasizing its commitment to "anti-racist education" instead of division, multiplication, fractions and decimals.

Now, administrators are perplexed that scores on sixth-grade standardized tests have declined steadily over the past three years to the point where 32 percent of sixth-graders are now in the "warning" or "needs improvement" category.

We would definitely place those administrators in the "needs improvement" category.

i seen something not too long ago, could have been on here im not sure, but something to the effect of they arent going to be grading history or something like that? ill do some research on it and see what i can find. i just found that outlandish. if they arent going to be grading it, why sit in it. and if they arent going to grade it, why not cut out physical education and math too? or we could jsut do away with schools ingeneral and go to manditory home schooling. put the burden of educating kids where it should go to, the parents/ guardian.

Johnney said:
i seen something not too long ago, could have been on here im not sure, but something to the effect of they arent going to be grading history or something like that? ill do some research on it and see what i can find. i just found that outlandish. if they arent going to be grading it, why sit in it. and if they arent going to grade it, why not cut out physical education and math too? or we could jsut do away with schools ingeneral and go to manditory home schooling. put the burden of educating kids where it should go to, the parents/ guardian.
Yup, it's the truth. Long ago history, geography, economics were seperate subjects, now it's taught as social studies. Interestingly enough, they are now doing away with social studies parts on standardized tests, thus you will see a decrease in time given to the subjects. Much as I like GW, the NCLB has accelerated the teaching to tests which will dumb down the entire curriculum.

Kathianne said:
Yup, it's the truth. Long ago history, geography, economics were seperate subjects, now it's taught as social studies. Interestingly enough, they are now doing away with social studies parts on standardized tests, thus you will see a decrease in time given to the subjects. Much as I like GW, the NCLB has accelerated the teaching to tests which will dumb down the entire curriculum.

This is why ive seriously considered having my kids home schooled when i get around to have any

This is why ive seriously considered having my kids home schooled when i get around to have any
its about the only way to know your kids are getting the one-on-one help they should be getting with schools. but with schools the way they are now, and im only making this observation about the schools in this area, they dont get that. its also a good way to keep your kids away from the undesirables that some schools have.

Johnney:
undesirables that some schools have
all schools have some, no matter how 'good', private or public. Rich or poor.

Kathianne said:
Johnney:
all schools have some, no matter how 'good', private or public. Rich or poor.
exactly, thats why when i have kids they will be home schooled. i was one of those people. i know what i did, and im not having my child(ren) be subjected to that.

Johnney said:
exactly, thats why when i have kids they will be home schooled. i was one of those people. i know what i did, and im not having my child(ren) be subjected to that.
LOL Were you a bully? That is the usual problem, at least in middle school.

Kathianne said:
LOL Were you a bully? That is the usual problem, at least in middle school.
and a street pharmasist. and private alcohol vender. and general whatever else needed to be done to someone else type person...lol

Johnney said:
and a street pharmasist. and private alcohol vender. and general whatever else needed to be done to someone else type person...lol
You were really a bad boy! How'd you end up so good?

Forum List

Back