Do you know why the Right Winged, Republican FOX news is banned in canada?

Get a clue instead of making yourself looking like a moron quoting Wikipedia. American fox news is allowed. A Canadian version of the show is not, because Canadian law does not allow deliberately spreading lies like fox makes it's living off of.

I live here. The story is bullshit. Al Jazeera is only allowed on cable and satellite as well.

And your lying post about FOX trying to change the law is ludicrous. This has been pushed for 10 years to loosen the regulations.

Which means the push started under the Liberal government under our former Prime Minister Jean Chretiean. LIBERAL.

And here's the crux of the matter. The CRTC protects domestic channels.

In the past, the regulator had hesitated to allow non-Canadian channels that competed with domestic services, but said its decision was in keeping with a policy of promoting a diversity of editorial points of view.

It also did not impose the kind of surveillance of the network's content that it did on Al-Jazeera's Arabic service in 2004.

TheSpec - CRTC grants Al-Jazeera licence

Tiny, I appreciate your tenacity but it must be frustrating. When a lie is created that lie will be protected no matter what, as you can see. It is easy to defend lies just make more lies up or repeat the same over and over. Again thanks for letting us know what is really happening.

I can't even figure out how this non story became a story but the liberal blogosphere is treating it like the second coming. :lol:

I guess they don't want to talk to each other over Obama's polling data and the economy. We also have a very serious regulation up here that we nick named CAN CON.

This is just for Television. There are different regulations for AM and FM radio.

Canadian content

While under Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission regulations at least 60% of program has to be Canadian-produced, and 50% on prime time, English-language private broadcasters such as CTV and Global have always had difficulty airing more than a bare minimum of indigenous programming in primetime. Among the most successful recent series are the comedies Corner Gas and Little Mosque on the Prairie, the drama Da Vinci's Inquest, and the mockumentary Trailer Park Boys

Television in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Because the law in Canada forbids lying. It's such a shame on how they cowar behind the 1st amendment to spew their false bullshit.

Skeptic Money » Blog Archive » Fox News Banned From Canada – Law Forbids Lying On Broadcast News. - You make sense but does your money?

Maybe I will need to move to Canada!

America’s middle class battles for its survival on the Wisconsin barricades – against various Koch Oil surrogates and the corporate toadies at Fox News – fans of enlightenment, democracy and justice can take comfort from a significant victory north of the Wisconsin border. Fox News will not be moving into Canada after all! The reason: Canadian regulators announced last week they would reject efforts by Canada’s right-wing Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, to repeal a law that forbids lying on broadcast news.

They would have to change the law to let FOX news be broadcast. Sounds like a good law. Hey Congress – here is a law you can pass!

Canada’s Radio Act requires that “a licenser may not broadcast … any false or misleading news.” The provision has kept Fox News and right-wing talk radio out of Canada and helped make Canada a model for liberal democracy and freedom. As a result of that law, Canadians enjoy high quality news coverage, including the kind of foreign affairs and investigative journalism that flourished in this country before Ronald Reagan abolished the “Fairness Doctrine” in 1987.

We do need better news. Too bad it is legal to lie in the USA.

Harper’s attempts to make lying legal on Canadian television are a stark admission that right-wing political ideology can only dominate national debate through dishonest propaganda. Since corporate profit-taking is not an attractive vessel for populism, a political party or broadcast network that makes itself the tool of corporate and financial elites must lie to make its agenda popular with the public. In the Unites States, Fox News and talk radio, the sock puppets of billionaires and corporate robber barons, have become the masters of propaganda and distortion on the public airwaves. Fox News’ notoriously biased and dishonest coverage of the Wisconsin’s protests is a prime example of the brand of news coverage Canada has smartly avoided.

----------------------------------------------------

Fox News Has a First Amendment Right to Lie - Updated < Library Grape
fox news has a constitutional right to lie, after being taken to court on it.

One correction.

FOX isn't news.

It's propaganda.

Brain Freeze?
Don't know about you, but I like to get as many viewpoints as I can on a subject.
It is entertaining watching how both sides spin a story.
Canada banning a station for their particular viewpoint is censorship pure and simple.

And the US left is cheering censorship. Last I checked, Canada and the US had different Constitutions............our protects free speech. Yea, even if you don't like what they are saying.

Personally I think what gets reported as news..should be held to a higher standard. News organizations use to self police..and the problem seem to be that the bias occurred because they were cherry picking what to air. That's a valid complaint.

But FOX, fabricates. And does so subjectively.

They should have a disclaimer.

Because the law in Canada forbids lying. It's such a shame on how they cowar behind the 1st amendment to spew their false bullshit.

Skeptic Money » Blog Archive » Fox News Banned From Canada &#8211; Law Forbids Lying On Broadcast News. - You make sense but does your money?

America&#8217;s middle class battles for its survival on the Wisconsin barricades &#8211; against various Koch Oil surrogates and the corporate toadies at Fox News &#8211; fans of enlightenment, democracy and justice can take comfort from a significant victory north of the Wisconsin border. Fox News will not be moving into Canada after all! The reason: Canadian regulators announced last week they would reject efforts by Canada&#8217;s right-wing Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, to repeal a law that forbids lying on broadcast news.

They would have to change the law to let FOX news be broadcast. Sounds like a good law. Hey Congress &#8211; here is a law you can pass!

Canada&#8217;s Radio Act requires that &#8220;a licenser may not broadcast &#8230; any false or misleading news.&#8221; The provision has kept Fox News and right-wing talk radio out of Canada and helped make Canada a model for liberal democracy and freedom. As a result of that law, Canadians enjoy high quality news coverage, including the kind of foreign affairs and investigative journalism that flourished in this country before Ronald Reagan abolished the &#8220;Fairness Doctrine&#8221; in 1987.

Harper&#8217;s attempts to make lying legal on Canadian television are a stark admission that right-wing political ideology can only dominate national debate through dishonest propaganda. Since corporate profit-taking is not an attractive vessel for populism, a political party or broadcast network that makes itself the tool of corporate and financial elites must lie to make its agenda popular with the public. In the Unites States, Fox News and talk radio, the sock puppets of billionaires and corporate robber barons, have become the masters of propaganda and distortion on the public airwaves. Fox News&#8217; notoriously biased and dishonest coverage of the Wisconsin&#8217;s protests is a prime example of the brand of news coverage Canada has smartly avoided.

One correction.

FOX isn't news.

It's propaganda.

And so is ABC and NBC, CBS does an OK job sometimes. We won't even mention CNN or MSNBC. :D

My point is quite simple. The OP is a lie. You are lying. Black Label is lying. And I've put up the proof.

You look like morons.

:lol:

The only thing you have proven is that you are an idiot. Now tell me, is there a Canadian version of fox news up there?

Here is the info on how fox was pushing one of the politicians to alter federal law to uplift the anti-lying clause, it failed.
Because of this, Fox gave up on trying to have their own canadian fox news, because they would rather not have a show, than to stop lying,..

CRTC plan to lift ban on false news prompts political investigation - The Globe and Mail

Oh shut up. You don't have a clue what you are talking about. And you're digging a really deep hole for yourselves.

The committee to try to ease the regulations has been pushing it for 10 freaking years. This push started with a liberal majority before FOX even applied.

The CRTC's obligation is to protect our domestic services. Man you are thick as a brick.

Here ya go sparky.

A basic cable package in English Canada traditionally includes:

the major Canadian commercial networks (CTV and Global),
the English and French CBC networks, including Newsworld and RDI (the French-language Newsworld equivalent),
the provincial educational broadcast undertaking (if one is available, as not all provinces have one),
a community channel (locally produced public affairs and information programming and community events listings),
APTN, a network devoted to Aboriginal programming,
TVA, one of the two private French-language broadcasters in Quebec1,
local or regional independent stations such as Citytv, A-Channel and CH,
Cable Public Affairs Channel, which broadcasts parliamentary sessions and committee meetings, along with some political public affairs programming,
a similar channel broadcasting the proceedings of the provincial legislature,
American network affiliates of ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS and Fox2,
a mixture of Canadian and American special interest channels such as TSN, MuchMusic, CNN, CTV News Channel and Showcase3.

Media of Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you take pride in your stupidity?:cuckoo:

From you own wikipedia link :lmao: it doesn't state anywhere that there is a fox news canada.

I asked you and of course you didn't answer. Is there a Canadian version of fox news?

Brain Freeze?
Don't know about you, but I like to get as many viewpoints as I can on a subject.
Canada banning a station for their particular viewpoint is censorship pure and simple.

I go right across the media spectrum when it comes to news. From BBC to Al Jazeera to France 24 to the Telegraph UK.

You get a broader spectrum of what "truth in news" really is. :D Everybody spins these days and it's really a pity that one has to sift thru so many media outlets.

Brain Freeze?

And the US left is cheering censorship. Last I checked, Canada and the US had different Constitutions............our protects free speech. Yea, even if you don't like what they are saying.

Personally I think what gets reported as news..should be held to a higher standard. News organizations use to self police..and the problem seem to be that the bias occurred because they were cherry picking what to air. That's a valid complaint.

But FOX, fabricates. And does so subjectively.

They should have a disclaimer.

Depends on what you're watching Sallow. A lot of what Fox puts on is opinion and should NEVER be taken as straight news. O'Reilly, Hannity, Greta are all slanted by the hosts beliefs. However, throughout the day they have just hard news. Shepard Smith does a good one around the dinner time.

I watch both Fox AND I watch ABC News. Sometimes, when I feel like not letting my intelligence get in the way, I actually watch CNN. But that's getting more rare all the time.

The only thing you have proven is that you are an idiot. Now tell me, is there a Canadian version of fox news up there?

Here is the info on how fox was pushing one of the politicians to alter federal law to uplift the anti-lying clause, it failed.
Because of this, Fox gave up on trying to have their own canadian fox news, because they would rather not have a show, than to stop lying,..

CRTC plan to lift ban on false news prompts political investigation - The Globe and Mail

Oh shut up. You don't have a clue what you are talking about. And you're digging a really deep hole for yourselves.

The committee to try to ease the regulations has been pushing it for 10 freaking years. This push started with a liberal majority before FOX even applied.

The CRTC's obligation is to protect our domestic services. Man you are thick as a brick.

Here ya go sparky.

A basic cable package in English Canada traditionally includes:

the major Canadian commercial networks (CTV and Global),
the English and French CBC networks, including Newsworld and RDI (the French-language Newsworld equivalent),
the provincial educational broadcast undertaking (if one is available, as not all provinces have one),
a community channel (locally produced public affairs and information programming and community events listings),
APTN, a network devoted to Aboriginal programming,
TVA, one of the two private French-language broadcasters in Quebec1,
local or regional independent stations such as Citytv, A-Channel and CH,
Cable Public Affairs Channel, which broadcasts parliamentary sessions and committee meetings, along with some political public affairs programming,
a similar channel broadcasting the proceedings of the provincial legislature,
American network affiliates of ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS and Fox2,
a mixture of Canadian and American special interest channels such as TSN, MuchMusic, CNN, CTV News Channel and Showcase3.

Media of Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you take pride in your stupidity?:cuckoo:

From you own wikipedia link :lmao: it doesn't state anywhere that there is a fox news canada.

I asked you and of course you didn't answer. Is there a Canadian version of fox news?

Of course not. I've put up the regulations and the regulations that require CAN CON allow the CRTC to protect our domestic services.

How freaking thick are you? It has nothing to do with whether or not FOX news tells the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Nothing at all. You are a liar. The OP is a liar. You are attempting to perpetuate a lie that FOX news is banned in Canada.

CNN is under the same restrictions.

Broadcast coverage extends to over 890,000 American hotel rooms,[6] and the U.S broadcast is also shown in Canada.

Here's the CRTC's ruling. Had to go back to CBC archives.

The conservative-leaning Fox News Channel will soon be coming to Canadian digital television channels.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) approved an application Thursday to bring the Fox News Channel, one of the highest-rated news channels in the United States, onto Canadian digital airwaves.

The Canadian Cable Telecommunications Association (CCTA) applied to the broadcast regulator in April.

Canadians already have access to the main Fox network, but not the right-leaning, 24-hour news channel, with its trademarked slogan of "fair and balanced."

The Canadian Association of Broadcasters (CAB) opposed the application, saying it would discourage foreign broadcasters from partnering with Canadian broadcasters.

However, in its decision, the CRTC said Fox News offers little Canadian coverage and is not "partially or totally competitive with any Canadian pay or specialty service." It added that the channel would "significantly boost digital penetration in Canada" and increase the availability of digital services in the country.

And a key point in all of this. Can anyone find the information that they banned Fox News? Or find in their judgement that they banned Fox News for lying?

The CRTC rejected a CCTA application to bring Fox to Canada last November because Fox News U.S. and Winnipeg-based Global Television were planning to create Fox News Canada, a combination of U.S. and Canadian news.

However, in March, a Fox U.S. executive said there were no plans to create the combined channel.

This has absolutely nothing to do with bullshit that Fox news lies therefore it's banned in Canada.

CRTC approves Fox News for Canada - Canada - CBC News

Last edited:
Of course not. I've put up the regulations and the regulations that require CAN CON allow the CRTC to protect our domestic services.

How freaking thick are you? It has nothing to do with whether or not FOX news tells the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Nothing at all. You are a liar. The OP is a liar. You are attempting to perpetuate a lie that FOX news is banned in Canada.

Broadcast coverage extends to over 890,000 American hotel rooms,[6] and the U.S broadcast is also shown in Canada.

No need to get all pissy because you were put in your place. A canadian version of fox news is not allowed by federal law because any network that calls themselves "news" must report just that, and factually.
They are not allowed to lie and spread falsehoods which is why Fox is not allowed there and tried to change federal law to do is.

It's pretty pathetic someone in canada doesn't have a clue about their own laws :cuckoo:

tiny. It is interesting reading what you have to say about Canada.

And you are correct (I guess, you live there) in saying that FOX is broadcast in Canada. Or some version on cable.

And there is no good reason that Canadians should not have access to the lies and distortions found on FOX.

I mean, why shouldn't Canadians have more proof that America has gone off the deep end.

Why didn't you stay in the USA?

So far, Brian Ross at ABC news lied. Dan Rather at CBS lied. So far, no one at Fox has lied.

:lmao: All fox does is lie. They lie so much they aren't even allowed to broadcast a Canadian version of their network there.

Brain Freeze?

The US left is not "cheering censorship". That's just your hatred shining through.

The truth of the matter is that we have no problem with what FOX says. What we have a problem with is pundits passing of lies as facts. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

I don't watch MSNBC either....I used to when Dylan Ratigan was on....because I really liked his commentary and his thought process, not to mention his unwavering ability to criticize across the board....Public sector, private sector, government, big business, Democrat or Republican. But he's gone now, so I never turn it on. I watch ABC mostly...but that's only because I like our local affiliate.

I don't frequent right wing or left wing websites either...in the car? I listen to my iPod.

No, truthfully....I get more information(disinformation?) by being on here. Not sure if that's a good thing or not....

No need to get all pissy because you were put in your place. A canadian version of fox news is not allowed by federal law because any network that calls themselves "news" must report just that, and factually.
They are not allowed to lie and spread falsehoods which is why Fox is not allowed there and tried to change federal law to do is.

It's pretty pathetic someone in canada doesn't have a clue about their own laws :cuckoo:

I'm not pissy and you haven't put me in my place. :lol:

I put up the CRTC ruling fool that dealt with the potential partnership between Global and Fox. That was rejected based on protecting domestic services.

It had nothing to do with lying. My you're pathetic.

Slander much? From my understanding it was about a liberal policy (pushed by liberals) that doesn't allow foreign media competition if there is a domestic counterpart!

Skeptic Money » Blog Archive » Fox News Banned From Canada &#8211; Law Forbids Lying On Broadcast News. - You make sense but does your money?

America&#8217;s middle class battles for its survival on the Wisconsin barricades &#8211; against various Koch Oil surrogates and the corporate toadies at Fox News &#8211; fans of enlightenment, democracy and justice can take comfort from a significant victory north of the Wisconsin border. Fox News will not be moving into Canada after all! The reason: Canadian regulators announced last week they would reject efforts by Canada&#8217;s right-wing Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, to repeal a law that forbids lying on broadcast news.

They would have to change the law to let FOX news be broadcast. Sounds like a good law. Hey Congress &#8211; here is a law you can pass!

Canada&#8217;s Radio Act requires that &#8220;a licenser may not broadcast &#8230; any false or misleading news.&#8221; The provision has kept Fox News and right-wing talk radio out of Canada and helped make Canada a model for liberal democracy and freedom. As a result of that law, Canadians enjoy high quality news coverage, including the kind of foreign affairs and investigative journalism that flourished in this country before Ronald Reagan abolished the &#8220;Fairness Doctrine&#8221; in 1987.

Harper&#8217;s attempts to make lying legal on Canadian television are a stark admission that right-wing political ideology can only dominate national debate through dishonest propaganda. Since corporate profit-taking is not an attractive vessel for populism, a political party or broadcast network that makes itself the tool of corporate and financial elites must lie to make its agenda popular with the public. In the Unites States, Fox News and talk radio, the sock puppets of billionaires and corporate robber barons, have become the masters of propaganda and distortion on the public airwaves. Fox News&#8217; notoriously biased and dishonest coverage of the Wisconsin&#8217;s protests is a prime example of the brand of news coverage Canada has smartly avoided.

Last edited:
Fox News: Until 2004, the CRTC's apparent reluctance to grant a digital licence to Fox News under the same policy which made it difficult for RAI to enter the country - same-genre competition from foreign services - had angered many conservative Canadians, who believed the network was deliberately being kept out due to its perceived conservative bias, particularly given the long-standing availability of services such as CNN and BBC World in Canada.

On November 18, 2004, however, the CRTC approved an application by cable companies to offer Fox News on the digital cable tier. Fox commenced broadcasting in Canada shortly thereafter.

Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

heres an article from 2011

Fox News' Lies Keep Them Out of Canada

Written by RFK Jr.! LOL way not get the Taliban to write about women's rights?

Again slander much!

Forum List

Back