~Do You Know Anyone In The Military??~

Dabs

~Unpredictable~
May 13, 2011
~Tennessee~
Could be now or in the past??
My Dad (SF)- he served in the Korean war, and I have a cousin who was over in Iraq a few years back.
And my real Father was in the Navy at some point, for I have a few photos of him in his Navy uniform.

Lots of vets here, Dabs; not sure about current ones, except Bootneck-he's deployed in A'stsan right now.

Lots of vets here, Dabs; not sure about current ones, except Bootneck-he's deployed in A'stsan right now.

OK thanks Gadfly, wonder how many have Fathers and brothers and other family members??
I ask because I spoke with a lady the other day, and she told me she knew nobody in the military, no one in her family served, not one of her friend's. It struck me as odd- I thought everyone must know at least one person, besides themselves, that has served in the military.

Yup.. my son's in the Army..

phew...after 4 years he's out in mid August...

OK thanks Gadfly, wonder how many have Fathers and brothers and other family members??
I ask because I spoke with a lady the other day, and she told me she knew nobody in the military, no one in her family served, not one of her friend's. It struck me as odd- I thought everyone must know at least one person, besides themselves, that has served in the military.

I think caroljo has a son in the army right now, smokin-kat's father is a Vietnam vet; but you know, the pool is shrinking; the WW II vets are leaving us now, about 1000 of them a day, the Korean War vets aren't far behind, and those of us from Vietnam are in our sixties now. Heck, a lot of the younger vets here are retired now.

Ya...my son has been in the Army for awhile now, 3 tours to Iraq, now training with Special Forces. He has a beautiful wife and two beautiful kids...i miss them ALOT!!

I think caroljo has a son in the army right now, smokin-kat's father is a Vietnam vet; but you know, the pool is shrinking; the WW II vets are leaving us now, about 1000 of them a day, the Korean War vets aren't far behind, and those of us from Vietnam are in our sixties now. Heck, a lot of the younger vets here are retired now.

My husband was a Marine in Viet Nam...he even JOINED (not drafted!)..ya, being nuts is normal in my family! Lol!

I've known many vets. Some from 'Nam, one from Korea, and a handful from our more recent actions.

Long discussions with them lead to my adopting many of their views on honour, the military, and the Cult of Militarism.

Those of you with kids now serving, please tell them this old Vietnam grunt thanks them for their service.

one GF was handed a uniform off the boat on ellis island, he served knowing little english, the other GF waited a few years (because he was only 14 off the boat) to join up for WW1

my father, and i honestly loose count of all the uncles, all served in the european or pacific WW2 theaters, along with a few Korean enlistees.

i've heard all the stories, i just wish some were still around on this day to tell them again.....

My grandfather and Uncle were in WWII, my two Uncles were in Korea, my ex was in Korea on 9/11, I have a friend who is Germany on his way home as we speak. Plus the many people I knew from high school. I was twenty when 9/11 happened, so I have had a lot of friends who went over there.

Forum List

Back