Do you have trouble sleeping? What helps you?

I am sorry. I hope he got the help he needed.

Lack of sleep will make anyone depressed.

Lack of sleep and a dangerous cocktail of sleep aids and pain meds.

He attempted suicide by pills. He was pretty whacked for several days but is doing much better now. Got off some of the meds., which of course, had a lot to do with it.

I took trazadone? a few times for sleep years ago. That shit knocked me the fugg out.

I got the big 4 hours last night. I feel like crap now.

Trazadone huh, thats potent stuff man!!!!.

Yeah it is ...

It hit me like:

566415698_17dea55bb6.jpg

sex..............

Ok - question for the women:

Does (good) sex make you sleepy or does it have more of an energizing effect on you?

Not to get all sciency, but somewhere out there on the intertubes you can find a chart of men vs. women's energy levels post orgasm. Men basically crash after they orgasm, while women have a much more gradual slope. So after sex, when men basically pass out and women want to talk/cuddle/whatever, that's the normal physiological response. It's evolutionary.

I swear I am not making this up.

Not to get all sciency, but somewhere out there on the intertubes you can find a chart of men vs. women's energy levels post orgasm. Men basically crash after they orgasm, while women have a much more gradual slope. So after sex, when men basically pass out and women want to talk/cuddle/whatever, that's the normal physiological response. It's evolutionary.

I swear I am not making this up.

LOL!

I believe you, I was just wondering if (basically) all men and all women are like that after sex.

My regime for getting to sleep is as follows: meditation, yoga, sound therapy, exercise a good diet and when all else fails I listen to and audio book. I stopped taking medication a) because the some of them had some nasty side effects I didn't like b) I found they generally stopped working in 3-6 months anyways.

Also, regarding tinnitus, do some research on sound therapy. My boyfriend has it from playing in band. for him, sound therapy has helped. It hasn't cured it but he is definitely in less discomfort the he used to be.

Cheers
Lexy

Last edited:
I can never sleep good and I was just curious if anyone has any tips, tricks, suggestions, or ideas about being able to sleep better?

I have trouble falling asleep because my mind keeps going and going about random stuff.

Once I do fall asleep all is good but if i get woken up its over. If i've been asleep for more than 2 hours i will be wide awake the moment my eyes open, brain going again thinking of random stuff.

Anyone else have this type of problem? What do you do?

I'm an insomniac, though it is nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

I used to have the exact same problem as you. I could not shut my mind down. Thoughts would race through my head and I couldn't stop it. This still happens to me occasionally. When I was a teenager, it was so bad that my parents sent me to a shrink to see if he could help. The shrink taught me self-hypnosis, from which I learned a trick from to help me fall asleep.

What I learned to do was to think of a comforting series of events that I could focus on. Let your imagination run wild. I like the beach, dawn and shooting hoops with a friend, so I thought about shooting baskets on a basketball court that happened to be on the beach just before the sun was rising. (With Larry Bird!) The one that I use now is imagining what it would be like to play in the World Cup and score. So over the years, I have developed a progression in my mind of what it would be like to be a player in the World Cup - from being called off the bench and substituted on, to scoring on a free kick, to playing Brazil, etc., etc. It is the same progression I have been using for years, such that when I go to bed and begin thinking about the day, as soon as I start thinking about a part of my progression - standing over the ball and looking at the wall during a free kick - my mind begins to shut down and goes to sleep. My mind now knows that it is time to shut down when I begin thinking about that.

The trick is to find something you are interested in and focus your mind on one single thing.

When I was in college, I would listen to music. For me, it wasn't the music but a part of the music I would focus on, often the base line. When I am listening to music, I am often listening to the guitar or the singer. I found that listening to the base helped me banish the thoughts running through my head.

I still have insomnia occasionally but it is nowhere near as bad as it once was.

Another trick is to tell your mind it is actually later than it is. We all have a clock in our head, and oddly enough, even if I know the time, I have found that thinking "It's 2am now" when I know its midnight helps.

Don't have caffeine after supper, especially if you are hyperactive, and limit your alcohol before you go to sleep.

Moving to different parts of the house helps. I will sleep on the couch or the floor if I am staring at the ceiling in my bed.

If you have been staring at the ceiling for two hours, get up and do something for 20-30 minutes, then try again.

Neurontin

Even if I take pain meds before I go to bed I usually wake up hurting so bad I can't stand it. My doc says it's because I don't move when I sleep. My husband verifies this. So I stiffen up and the pain will often times wake me up. My doc prescribed neurontin. I don't have to take it every night but the nights I'm hurting more than usual I'll take one and sleep like a baby. The first few times I took it I felt hungover the next day but now it's like I haven't taken anything. Helpful hint....it's also good for pre menopausal and menopausal females that battle with hot flashes and night sweats.

i've never heard of that stuff before Ncarolinadixie.

I have been taking an ibuprophen at night and stopped drinking caffine, i seem to be sleeping much better.

Pilgrim...it deals with the neurological problems. I have severe nerve damage to my sciatic nerve from a disc rupture that I waited to long to get taken care of. This past surgery in April was my third on the same disc in less than 10 years. The first two were three weeks apart. Made it 8 years before the disc blew out again in January after a particularly nasty fall. The Neurontin is designed to work specifically on the nerve damage. That is where most of my pain comes from. The pain meds alone didn't help me sleep so he prescribed it. As I said, I only take it at night but it is also prescribed for pre and menopausal females who are having a worse time than usual getting through the symptoms of menopaus. We'd like to get me off the pain meds completely but at this point the Neurontin alone doesn't do the trick. There is still a lot of swelling around the surgery site and my doctor has prescribed a pretty strong anti inflammatory to try to get that problem solved. The disc, or should I say what is left of it after the three repairs, appears to be disintigrating. He's hoping it's the swelling that is making it appear that way. Only time will tell.

Once I got over the first two days after hangover from the first two nights I took the Neurontin I really appreciate what it does for me. Without it, on particularly bad days, I would be walking the floor all night or wake up in the middle of the night hurting so bad all I can do is sit and cry. I at least get a decent nights sleep when I take it.

I like you had never heard of it until he prescribed it. I do extensive research on anything I'm prescribed and the side affects they list are minimal. It also gets pretty good ratings. I don't think any doctor would prescribe it just as a sleep aide unless there are underlying problems such as mine.

Forum List

Back