Do you have trouble sleeping? What helps you?

Have sleep apnea, have a machine, have trouble using the machine. I have always disliked the dark. Add in the uncontrolled or poorly controlled delusional paranoia and I just don't sleep at night. I keep the lights on and sleep during the day if I can, which causes all kind of other problems.

When I was in the military I could sleep anywhere under just about any condition.
right after I had my son I could sleep anywhere. I would fall asleep in the middle of a conversation. Now I can stop thinking to fall asleep.

A cup of good strong coffee and a big fat skunky joint coffee...works for me..a great way to begin and end each day..
damn, we were thinkin the black copters got you
welcome back

THANKS..oddly enough there was some concern about helecoptors.. I spent a few weeks in the bush tending some plants and ever time a small plane or helecopter flew overhead i must admit I felt a little paranoid...
i figured you might be out on a commercial dive job

damn, we were thinkin the black copters got you
welcome back

THANKS..oddly enough there was some concern about helecoptors.. I spent a few weeks in the bush tending some plants and ever time a small plane or helecopter flew overhead i must admit I felt a little paranoid...
i figured you might be out on a commercial dive job

gave that up after 10 years too much time away from home..to hard on the bones..but it was a great adventure for a time

Thanks DiveCon, i am actually going to do that. In the last 5 years i think i've gotten 8 hours of sleep maybe 4 times. Last night i was up till 230, its 800 am now.

ugh

Plymco,

Do an exhaustive activity during the day. Riggorous exercise is a good one.

I can never sleep good and I was just curious if anyone has any tips, tricks, suggestions, or ideas about being able to sleep better?

I have trouble falling asleep because my mind keeps going and going about random stuff.

Once I do fall asleep all is good but if i get woken up its over. If i've been asleep for more than 2 hours i will be wide awake the moment my eyes open, brain going again thinking of random stuff.

Anyone else have this type of problem? What do you do?

Some ideas... from my own and others' experience ;) :

1. Sex. Nice, long, exhausting sex.

2. Exercise (including no. 1 :D)

3. No caffeine at all - or at least not after 5pm (also depends on when you need to fall asleep).

4. Melatonin.

5. thc

some people just dont need as much sleep...i sleep at most 5 to 6 hours a day..i have over 2 days with no sleep...when i was much younger i could go 3 or 4 days with no sleep...i dont do caffine or anything speedy...dont need it.

PP,

Have you ever tried Quietude? It's a homeopathic product that you can buy OTC. I provided a link for a description; you can buy it in the health food or organic section of most grocery stores, in drug stores, on the interwebz (Amazon, etc.)

I've used this on myself and my kids (my son, special needs, would have trouble sleeping when he was smaller (he's 16 now) and I used this several times). I've found that it works. Sometimes not as well as other times but it quiets the mind. You will feel as if you've taken nothing -- no 'drugged' side-effects like if you take OTC sleep aids (which just contain antihistamine).

Buy Boiron Quietude, for Sleeplessness and Restless Sleep Online at drugstore.com

Have you tried warm milk? I know, how old fashioned!

Are you hungry at all when you go to bed? I've found that if I've had a light dinner and am hungry that sleep will not happen. Eating something carby -- crackers w/p butter or pretzels or something along those lines - will help increase your serotonin levels, which affect sleep.

Doing a mentally repetitive thing - like praying the same prayer or 'counting sheep', etc.

some people just dont need as much sleep...i sleep at most 5 to 6 hours a day..i have over 2 days with no sleep...when i was much younger i could go 3 or 4 days with no sleep...i dont do caffine or anything speedy...dont need it.

Good for you! Yeah, I've heard of individuals that do not need more than 6 hours, which to me is amazing! I wish I were like that. If I don't get 7 hours or more, I'm completely useless - to the point that nothing helps me - coffee, redbull, or anything else... However, when I sleep more than 9 hours, I feel as shitty as when I sleep just 5. My body is way too specific about its needs... bleh ...

Magnesium helps but you get some strange dreams at times so I'd take it in the late afternoon.

If you don't like taking things, I focus on relaxing my entire body when I get into bed, especially the face. When you get tense, your jaw and your whole face seems to tense up.

Just a few easy things to try.

Banana and warm milk is a natural sedative. I used to get keyed up and could not sleep, doc recommended it and it worked. If I have a hard time shutting down after a long day I try to mentally go back to places that gave me peace. Warm mountain meadow from memories as a child, a place we spent winters for several years, whatever to get the brain to quit thinking about whatever it is that has me cranked.

Magnesium helps but you get some strange dreams at times so I'd take it in the late afternoon.

If you don't like taking things, I focus on relaxing my entire body when I get into bed, especially the face. When you get tense, your jaw and your whole face seems to tense up.

Magnesium is also very good for muscle cramps..

Magnesium is also very good for muscle cramps..

I have also read that the first thing they give you in the hospital for heart problems is magnesium. I take it with calcium and vitamin d. The three of them help each other work in your body.

Last edited:
Have sleep apnea, have a machine, have trouble using the machine. I have always disliked the dark. Add in the uncontrolled or poorly controlled delusional paranoia and I just don't sleep at night. I keep the lights on and sleep during the day if I can, which causes all kind of other problems.

When I was in the military I could sleep anywhere under just about any condition.

I don't like the dark either. I have night lights all over the house. I've had nightmares where I got quite violent. Cracked a window and put a hole through the wall once in my sleep. I need to be able to SEE when I open my eyes.

I could sleep anywhere when I was in the military too. I'd be out all night partying in 24/7 Vegas, and the next day when I got to the base I'd walk all the way out to the end of the ramp, use a T.O. for a pillow, and sleep under an F-16 on the concrete, in the shade, with jets taking off and landing maybe a hundred feet away. 15 minutes and was ready to go. Now, it's even hard to sleep in my queen sized Temperpedic bed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input again guys,

Lots of ideas to try.

I do use melatonin, i took one last night actually, still stayed up for 3 more hours though.

I'm a little stressed between work and the federal govt and the combination is keeping me awake i think, combined with old injuries that always hurt.

I can never sleep good and I was just curious if anyone has any tips, tricks, suggestions, or ideas about being able to sleep better?

I have trouble falling asleep because my mind keeps going and going about random stuff.

Once I do fall asleep all is good but if i get woken up its over. If i've been asleep for more than 2 hours i will be wide awake the moment my eyes open, brain going again thinking of random stuff.

Anyone else have this type of problem? What do you do?

i wake up numerous times through the night so i usually put talk radio on and fall asleep listening to it, coast to coast is the show i listen to but a warning it can cause weird dreams.

Forum List

Back