Do You Have E-Check Where You Live?

krisy

Mar 30, 2004
Ohio
Here in Cincinnati,we have to have an emmisions check on our cars every other year,but just an hour away where khaf lives, they don't. This is supposedly to keep our air cleaner,yet every year our air quality gets no better. This costs $25 and if your car doesn't pass the first time,youhave to prove you have spent $300 or so to prove you had sufficient work done to help the problem.If you do that-they will pass you. On top of this,if your check engine light is on in a car 97 or newer,they will automatically fail you. From what I have been told,many times it doesn't mean something is necessarily wrong. Govenor Taft was supposedly to do something about all this,but conveniently with Ohio's money problems,hasn't. We pay this money and still breathe in lousy air.

It seems to me to be just a way for the state to make money. My mechanic feels the same way,and really there is money to be made for him.

O.K. I put my foot in my mouth!!! Maybe I have e.s.p,. After I posted this,I went to bed and the dog decided it was time for me to get back up about an hour later. I was lying there in bed listening to the local news on t.v.,and they said my county was doing away with e check at the end of this year!!! Two other counties are as well! wooohooo

we dont here in Iowa, but i remember when i was stationed at Ft. Carson CO they had emissoion tests. that sucked.

What are the other counties, krisy? PLEASE tell me one was BUTLER!!

Joz said:

I will try to find out for you today. I hope it's Butler too for your sake-I'm so sick of these damn e-checks!!! Sorry I couldn't hear it all,I was half asleep.

krisy said:
I will try to find out for you today. I hope it's Butler too for your sake-I'm so sick of these damn e-checks!!! Sorry I couldn't hear it all,I was half asleep.
I knew there was talk of doing away with this pain, but I really didn't think it'd happen. I figured if there was a way for the gov to suck an other buck out of us they would.

we used to have it. i know when i started driving (97), they had it. you had to get your car tested in order to get your yearly tabs. The only good thing that Jesse Ventura did here was eliminate that, because it didn't do anything to improve the pollution situation. Even brand new, just off the delivery truck cars had to have it done.

The problem is, now tabs are more $$. So yes, he eliminated the pain-in-the-ass, ever-inconvenient emmissions testing, but raised the cost of tabs. And the newer your car, the more $$ you pay. My car is a 99 and my hubbys is a 00. We pay $210/year for both cars. I think mine will be less this year, but i am not sure.

Joz said:

Here you go Joz,

State wants to extend E-check in NE Ohio, end it in SW Ohio

LAST UPDATE: 2/22/2005 3:46:51 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - The state is proposing to extend Ohio's E-Check auto emission testing program in seven northeast Ohio counties for two years beginning in January 2006.

Ohio Environmental Protection Agency spokeswoman Heidi Griesmer (GREEZ'-mer) says the extension is needed to meet federal requirements to clean up the air.

E-Check expires at year's end and any extension would require legislative approval.

The seven E-check counties in northeast Ohio are Cuyahoga, Lorain, Lake, Geauga, Medina, Summit and Portage.

Griesmer says the state will also propose ending the program in southwest Ohio counties near Dayton and Cincinnati and looking at other alternatives to reducing emissions.

Those are Montgomery, Greene, Clark, Hamilton, Warren, Clermont and Butler counties.

khafley said:
... end it in SW Ohio.....Those are Montgomery, Greene, Clark, Hamilton, Warren, Clermont and Butler counties.
Thanks Kiddo. I sure appreciate this. I just hope like Kitten said, that they don't raise the price of our tags astonomicaly.

Joz said:
Thanks Kiddo. I sure appreciate this. I just hope like Kitten said, that they don't raise the price of our tags astonomicaly.

Your welcome!

Hopefully they don't raise the prices, I'm not sure if it would affect us as far as a price increase, I know right now all I pay is $23.50 a year!

khafley said:
Your welcome!

Hopefully they don't raise the prices, I'm not sure if it would affect us as far as a price increase, I know right now all I pay is $23.50 a year!

You pay $23.50 a year for license plate stickers????????????

$70 here. (I have personalized plates.. Non personalized are $55, I think). Sheesh.

Shattered said:
You pay $23.50 a year for license plate stickers????????????

$70 here. (I have personalized plates.. Non personalized are $55, I think). Sheesh.
Really? We pay $48.50 for ours. See with the $20 e-check that would almost equal out. But the e-check is only every other year. Bet they'll raise the price of tags to recoup the lost money.
(exes) commercial 3/4 ton truck's $125

Our emissions checks are every other year..they're free..But we pay the same $70 *every* year... Come to think of it..I don't notice our air getting any better, either.. They're always working on our roads and freeways, but they're never any better (and sometimes even worse) when they're finished..

Shattered said:
Our emissions checks are every other year..they're free..But we pay the same $70 *every* year... Come to think of it..I don't notice our air getting any better, either.. They're always working on our roads and freeways, but they're never any better (and sometimes even worse) when they're finished..
Same here. If our freeways were no longer bottlenecked with orange barrels, I'd get lost!

We pay much higher costs for our plates. I pay $125 per year and that is actually cheap if my truck were newer it would be far higher...

We have a safety inspection every year and emissions every other year. $30 for that, tags are $41 a year. Do any of you have to pay yearly taxes on your cars? Excise tax?

pennyville73 said:
We have a safety inspection every year and emissions every other year. $30 for that, tags are $41 a year. Do any of you have to pay yearly taxes on your cars? Excise tax?

We pay on the resale value of the vehicle by percentage. Therefore the more expensive the vehicle the higher the tax you pay. I live in an area where emissions inspection is not needed but in the Denver Metro area we paid about $24 a year for those as well.

As I said before $125 a year is cheap for CO tags every year.

Forum List

Back