Do you have any phobias?

eternaltrue

I have the magic beans
Oct 29, 2012
Have you tried to overcome them?

I'm terrified of heights, I cannot stand on a chair without shaking.

Spiders! omg....I hate hate hate spiders...the little creepy arachnids are everywhere in my basement, all I want to do is take a can of hairspray and a lighter and torch they asses when I have to go down there to do laundry....(shudder) nasty little buggers...

I can pilot an airplane, but can not and will not ride on a Ferris Wheel.

Put me in a cockpit and I'll go anywere, but expose me to open-space heights and I'll cry and cower like a whipped puppy.

yeah snakes spiders heights deep water and phobias themselves, I have a phobia of getting more phobias, aka phobiaphobia.

Wasps...although I did make some strides in overcoming my terror while teaching first grade. Sometimes one would fly into the classroom, and I obviously couldn't risk it stinging one of the kids...but I still have a little bit of a freak out when I see one and my heart starts pounding so hard.

Heights aren't my favorite. I don't do roller coasters as a result, yet I 'll climb a ladder to paint my two story house or cut a tree down. I can rationally overcome fear.

Have you tried to overcome them?

I'm terrified of heights, I cannot stand on a chair without shaking.

I acquired a fear of heights out of the clear blue sky one day. I spent quite a long time trying to figure out what brought that on. My best guess is that it is due to some particular incidents I experience in the military. Unfortunately, that fear came on me at a very bad time. I actually froze in place. That sucked.

I have since found that old-fashioned immersion therapy has done wonders to mitigate this problem considerably.

The standing on the chair thing was true for me, too, for a time. Especially when doing things which required me to look up, like changing a light bulb.

Looking up was more likely to induce uncontrollable shakes than looking down.

I once had to have a Ferris wheel operator stop the ride and let me off. That was embarrassing. And weird, since I rode Ferris wheels a million times when I was a kid.

Through regular practice of forcing myself to do things which require ladders or whatnot, I have nearly eliminated my fear and am almost back to normal. I can climb up on my roof and stuff now.

Another useful immersion technique I found helpful was to go to a shopping mall and go up to the second or third floor and go to the "sidewalk" railing and look down to the first floor for a while. The trick is to make your body relax when that is the last thing it wants to do.

I took a hot air balloon ride this past fall. When the balloon launched, I crouched on the floor of the basket. I thought I was ready, but it caught me by surprise.

The balloonist said that was the first time he saw someone freak out in the 16 years he has been ballooning. :lol:

But within a couple minutes, I was able to stand. And within ten minutes I was enjoying myself thoroughly, and was able to look over the side with no qualms whatsoever.

A great day. I highly recommend ballooning to everyone.

Last edited:
Clowns in Volkswagons wearing Mitt Romney masks.

Someone I know has a fear of clowns. It is one of the top ten fears.

So I gave her a great birthday card. On the front it said, "What is scarier than a clown?" and there was a picture of a clown on it.

Open the card, and inside it says, "Two clowns" with a drawing of the same.

:lol:

Do you have any phobias?

I am fearful of ladies who do not wear bras.

putting_a_bounce_in_it_01.gif

Snakes and mice. Bats a little.

Electrical storms frighten me sometimes but not likely a true classic phobia.

I love heights.

falling down concrete steps or rocks and smashing my teeth to bits...yep, this is my phobia.

OMG, Kiki I forgot about my teeth one. I have a huge fear of losing my front teeth. I have those dreams too where it happens and I am so glad to wake up.

I have to take mine off as soon as i get home from work everyday!!!!

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! LOL!

falling down concrete steps or rocks and smashing my teeth to bits...yep, this is my phobia.

OMG, Kiki I forgot about my teeth one. I have a huge fear of losing my front teeth. I have those dreams too where it happens and I am so glad to wake up.

Not to scare you...but!

Years ago I used to have dreams....but it was like i was awake. I would lay there in bed and i couldn't stop the back of my tongue from pushing HARD against the back of my front teeth! I felt like i was awake, but i couldn't stop it! And every time that happened my teeth would actually push forward and come out!! Then I'd wake up........Within a year later, i had ended up having to have my 4 front teeth removed and a partial put in....That was the weirdest thing i've ever been through!

Forum List

Back