Do you have an interest in your family tree?

Dalia

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2016
France
This is the story of our family but we can not really go to far in the past to trace our ancestors which is a shame .

Share with us :)

I was able to trace an ancestor born in 1737 in Germany before emigrating to America. When you have a less common name it's not that difficult.
Yes, it's true if the family name is very common it's more difficult and I always find it complicated to understand sometime who who sorry i explain myself the best i can :) and as my aunt is the cousin of my father but on the side of his mother, I always get mix up when they are too many family people involve :badgrin:

th

Can only go back to the father and mother of my great to the fourth grandfather.

Most of the records were in the wrong part of Germany and that part of the family generally doesn't want to talk to distant cousins who wore United States uniforms during the war.

*****SMILE*****

:)

th

Can only go back to the father and mother of my great to the fourth grandfather.

Most of the records were in the wrong part of Germany and that part of the family generally doesn't want to talk to distant cousins who wore United States uniforms during the war.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Thank you very much:), my father is from French origin France on the side of his father but on the side of his mother side Scottish they immigrated to Canada.

My mother, her father Iroquois , and her mother Quécecoise.

Both mom and dad's side of the family are English, came to New England (Massachusetts so far as I can tell), moved to Maine in the 1700's and married other folks from Massachusetts who originally came from Great Britain. They were fisherman, sailors, ship builders and sea captains, a lot of them. I don't much like the water, but I love being on a fast sailboat far from land. Maybe there's a little gene in there somewhere.

Both mom and dad's side of the family are English, came to New England (Massachusetts so far as I can tell), moved to Maine in the 1700's and married other folks from Massachusetts who originally came from Great Britain. They were fisherman, sailors, ship builders and sea captains, a lot of them. I don't much like the water, but I love being on a fast sailboat far from land. Maybe there's a little gene in there somewhere.
Thank you very much:), I think you have more immigrants from Great Britian in the early US, if I'm not mistaken?

Thank you very much:), I think you have more immigrants from Great Britian in the early US, if I'm not mistaken?
All of them that I've been able to find. Mom's side came in the 1600's, but I haven't been able to trace Dad's line back that far. Maine was a frontier and records have been destroyed if they ever existed.

I have a great uncle that died on the battlefield in the Battle of the Bulge. An uncle that was in Vietnam for a tour. And a niece who does bad theater (no matter though, she's my niece and I love watching her act!)

Well, my Grandmother was the first of her family to be born here, and she was half German and half Scottish. My Grandfather is a full blood Norwegian who emigrated here in the early 1930's (I think).

What my lineage is on my biological fathers is, I have no idea.

However................on my mothers side (Grandmother and Grandfather), they managed to trace my lineage via my Grandmother all the way back to a dude named Robert the Bruce (yeah, the dude in Braveheart). I also have a lot of ancestors who served in the Black Watch of Scotland. Maybe that is part of the reason I was career military.

On my Grandfather's side? His lineage goes all the way back to Erik the Red. Maybe that is why I chose Navy as my preferred service.

My Grandmother used to have our family tree, and it went back a LONG time. And, you're right, up until recently, it seemed like very few people were interested in where they came from. But, now thanks to DNA testing sites, people are looking into their roots again.

Scientists have been able to isolate the Neanderthal genome and it's certain that Neanderthals intermingled with humans for hundreds of years. Anybody want to go back that far?

Moms family came from the UK, Ireland, Scotland, Germany. Dads came from the same areas but one was a soldier for Napoleon. That was as far back that I could get.

Thank you all for your answers:), it's a bit like the Templars and the fact that there are not many documents they were burned but sometimes there is old family photo that can be kept preciously .
IsaacNewton do you have pictures of your ancestor in the Battle of the Bulge?
Gracie me too my ancestors come from a little bit of all over.
Yes, ABikerSailor DNA testing sites is a solution, people are looking into their roots again. there are better sites than others I had researched for my family and I found some amazing stories that I did not know about in the area of my ancestors.

I'm pretty fortunate in a number of ways. My mother's family had a lot of famous and semi-famous historical figures in it, so it's pretty easy to trace. My father's family had a relatively unusual last name, and it was never changed throughout its history, as so many were. So it's easy to trace, AND anyone with that last name can be definitely assumed to be a relative of some sort.

Also, both sides of my family come from the deep South, where one's "people" is a very big deal, so everyone actually learns, remembers, and passes on this information.

I have no interest in my family tree.

I had some relative of my father track me down a few years ago so he could add me to the family tree. I said no thanks. None of those people wanted anything to do with me after my Dad was killed so fuck 'em

I am planning to get my sister, who is utterly fascinated with geneology even over and above what your average Southerner is, one of those Ancestry.com DNA tests for Christmas. Will be a gift for the whole family, in effect, because my mom, my brother, my kids, and my niece and nephews will all be wanting to know about the results.

Yes. My mother and grandmother LOVE doing genealogy. They have traced it all the way back to the 1300's on my mothers side we are English/Scottish on that side...no one truly famous just some viking kings and stuff like that. My fathers side is German/Polish and its been a lot harder to trace it back since my dad is only like 3rd generation American. My wife is French/Irish and I traced hers back a little. She didn't know her grandmothers real first name was Laura they always called her by her middle name because her grandfather had a sister with the same name so. I had a lot of ancestors in the war for southern independence,a Great grandfather in ww1,grandfather in ww2,grandfather in law in Korea,Dad served in 82nd airborne but was never deployed,an uncle in first gulf war and 2 of his kids are in the Air Force now. 1 in Korea 1 in Austria. 1 is an intelligence officer other is an explosives ordinance disposal officer. I do know my mothers side came over BEFORE the Revolutionary War and we fought in it as well. My mothers name is quite common in the south especially among blacks because we owned so many slaves I suppose.

Oh yeah. I'm the family genealogist, and have traced us back hundreds of years in all sorts of directions. We've got soldiers, bankers, scholars, kings, knights, surgeons, teachers, pastors, explorers, crooks, engineers, miners, innkeepers, city founders, religious refugees, and more. We have ancestors who marched for suffrage, suffered with George Washington at Valley Forge, fled from Cardinal Richelieu, sailed on the Mayflower, housed Mary Queen of Scots, oversaw the Magna Carta, and, of course, raided France as a Viking warlord, to name a few. I've got notebooks full of this stuff

Forum List

Back