Do you have a Will?

my mother is 78 and after her there is my sister so divvying up my stuff wont be too hard to do, if i was to get married or have kids i would make a will.
If you don't have some form of will the government can come in and dispose of your assets and take the majority as "payment" usually leaving friends and loved ones with nothing.

i dont really have assets, i rent an apartment, i spend what i make,its not a big deal to me.

actually things like my 401k, savings bonds, and company provided insurance all have designated beneficiaries so these type things are covered.

Ah okay, gotcha

Most people think you need a formalized will, you don't. All you need to do is write out your desires for what you want done on a plain sheet of paper, file it in your safe, filing cabinet or safety deposit box and let the person you've chosen as your executor (ask them first) where it is.
It's as simple as that and is just as valid in a court of law.
Now if you have a large estate then by all means consult an attorney.

If you do this, make sure you have someone that doesn't benefit from your death sign it as a witness.

Don't have one..
Everything goes to my wife if I die.
If we both die, it goes to the kids

I still haven't made one. I need to. I tell my brother and sister in law if something happened to me that they would have to raise my daughter. I guess I better get it put in writing.

i have a will, a trust and a health care proxy.

Same here. All for 300 bucks. Worth it for me especially when my children were young.

I still haven't made one. I need to. I tell my brother and sister in law if something happened to me that they would have to raise my daughter. I guess I better get it put in writing.

Yes. I have a will. Everybody should have a will. It's a responsible thing to do.

Most people think you need a formalized will, you don't. All you need to do is write out your desires for what you want done on a plain sheet of paper, file it in your safe, filing cabinet or safety deposit box and let the person you've chosen as your executor (ask them first) where it is.
It's as simple as that and is just as valid in a court of law.
Now if you have a large estate then by all means consult an attorney.

Quite correct.

I read an article somewhere awhile ago about people dying under unusual circumstances.

One farmer was trapped underneath some equipment, before he died he used his finger to write "All to wife" in the mud caked on the equipment that was crushing him.

It was honored.

It depends on the state. Some allow simple handwritten wills, others have lots of picky requirements. A quick check online or in the local library should tell you, and as far as I know there are kits available for every state's requirements.

Yep.
I updated it when my youngest turned 18.
The health care proxy is the biggie though. I left my sister in charge of that. She's a nurse, she knows when to pull the plug, and my daughters won't have to suffer any guilt from it.

Yep.
The health care proxy is the biggie though. I left my sister in charge of that. She's a nurse, she knows when to pull the plug, and my daughters won't have to suffer any guilt from it.

That is a good idea about the health care proxy. I have one but it is my husband. I probably should have a secondary one that is not my children. Tough to say.

no but I need one, I really don't want my son's father raising him or his father's mother.

It's kind of hard to deny a parent the right to raise your(his) children if you suffer an untimely death.
What you can do is make sure that any life insurance and/or assets you have are given to the children but under the control of somebody you trust. That way your ex can't squander it away.

Yep.

That is a good idea about the health care proxy. I have one but it is my husband. I probably should have a secondary one that is not my children. Tough to say.

You definitely want your spouse to be a primary, but you should have a secondary. I hate to be morbid, but it is possible that both you and your spouse could suffer in the same accident and need a health care proxy.

Yep.

You definitely want your spouse to be a primary, but you should have a secondary. I hate to be morbid, but it is possible that both you and your spouse could suffer in the same accident and need a health care proxy.

Yes I do have a secondary. My son. However your comment about your daughters state of mind made me think. I hate to place such a burden on my son's young shoulders. At least alone.

Yes I do have a secondary. My son. However your comment about your daughters state of mind made me think. I hate to place such a burden on my son's young shoulders. At least alone.

Indeed. You can't possibly outline every situation that could occur, there is a possibility that somebody will have to make a decision to turn off life support based upon what they know about you and the current situation (I and my family have had to do that). I'll turn that responsibility over to my daughters when they get a little older. They haven't had to face enough death yet, in my opinion.

no but I need one, I really don't want my son's father raising him or his father's mother.

It's kind of hard to deny a parent the right to raise your(his) children if you suffer an untimely death.
What you can do is make sure that any life insurance and/or assets you have are given to the children but under the control of somebody you trust. That way your ex can't squander it away.

Not just somebody you trust, preferably IN trust.

Forum List

Back