Do you have a teenager?

I have 3 boys 23, 20 and 17.. So I have had many experience in teenagers. My boys are mostly into video games, computers and girls LOL

haha. i can basically sum up the responses: your teenager started liking boys/girls, has gotten into odd music their parents don't quite understand, and spend time watching movies, playing video games, hanging out with friends, and being involved in school activities. Some will notice their teenager has started pulling away from family time. while some will be correct, almost all parents will believe their kids don't drink, do drugs, or have sex.

haha.

whew i had one....a decade ago....i imagine its still just as hard.....mine was a goth for a while....all them little individuals dressed in black

i dont think i could handle another one

:lol:

Those fools wear makup and shit - I hope it was a she because even at 31 I would be disappointed in my boy if he wore makeup..

Maybe I'm being illogical or am flexing my conservative side but....

Oh the suburbs are generally normal, but the CPS are like North Korea...

lol...

It's true - they send all the smart ones to charter schools while the apes and gang members physically destroy the Chicago public schools...

Then they tell/teach these idiots how great communism is and that Obama is God...

Oh and that the only reason why they're barbarians is because of racism....

Yeah they spend 4 years trying to learn that bullshit....

Of course this is while they send all the smart ones to the charter schools... The same smart kids that would call bullshit in a second and would lay the facts down...

what i think i've seen in ny is that if your kid is gifted or has special needs, the schools are very attentive. it's the kids in the middle that get lost. but i haven't seen the type of racist thing you're talking about. my son's middle school was a very diverse school and it was an incredibly positive experience. he was in a Gifted/Talented program and got an amazing education. He got into two of the best NYC high schools, both nationally ranked.... both very, very diverse as well.

So i'm afraid we're going to have to diverge on this one.

And i can say in my public school education and my son's i've never seen a teacher try to impose their politics on anyone... not even in my poli sci courses in college or in law school.

Last edited:
haha. i can basically sum up the responses: your teenager started liking boys/girls, has gotten into odd music their parents don't quite understand, and spend time watching movies, playing video games, hanging out with friends, and being involved in school activities. Some will notice their teenager has started pulling away from family time. while some will be correct, almost all parents will believe their kids don't drink, do drugs, or have sex.

haha.

My mom listens to modern rock - always has and shes 50.

But I'm not a teenager.

It wouldn't be weird to see my mom jamming to Nickleback or Linkin Park at all... Even Greenday...

haha.

We have always been quite open about sex, drugs, and rock and roll, and any Parent that says "there kids would never" is destined to be let down. But I can say with 85% surety they are not stoners yet, and my 15 year old 100% for now. He id to driven at this time. I say 95% for the girl. When I say she draws and paints I mean that she is beyond happy faces and hearts. She also has goals and neither of the younger ones will be diverted. I am pretty sure my 19 year old is a stoner, but he is his own man now so thats on him. Besides, he works and it would be much worse if he were a drunk.

It's true - they send all the smart ones to charter schools while the apes and gang members physically destroy the Chicago public schools...

Then they tell/teach these idiots how great communism is and that Obama is God...

Of course this is while they send all the smart ones to the charter schools... The same smart kids that would call bullshit in a second and would lay the facts down...

what i think i've seen in ny is that if your kid is gifted or has special needs, the schools are very attentive. it's the kids in the middle that get lost. but i haven't seen the type of racist thing you're talking about. my son's middle school was a very diverse school and it was an incredibly positive experience. he was in a Gifted/Talented program and got an amazing education. He got into two of the best NYC high schools, both nationally ranked.... both very, very diverse as well.

And i can say in my public school education and my son's i've never seen a teacher try to impose their politics on anyone... not even in my poli sci courses in college or in law school.

Thats probably because you live in a white school district...

You have projects just like we do and its those districts where its happening...

They pluck the black students that want to learn and put them in white schools....

Not that I even care about that - but it really shows that the CPS have no control...

20 students were killed outside their schools this year.... Who knows how many were shot or wounded via weaponry...

What kind of things are they 'into?'

What do they do for fun?

Mini EZ is loving her classes, she loves her comparative religion class, AP US History Class and her English class,,and is learning to love her German class.

For fun she loves anything Star Wars and Kevin Smith and Quentin Tarantino Movies, hanging with her best friend Leslie and of course playing with our 3 cats. She's back to reading novels for in her spare time, which is great!

My boys are 17/19, both will be 18/20 next month.
Youngest - honor student, AP classes, soccer, track, every college in America wants him. GPA way the hell up there. s
Oldest - sophomore in college, seeking a degree in Physical Therapy. Lacrosse player. Grades could be better - he's dropping lacross this year becuase of that. Playing on the club team - a lot less stress. He realizes he's in college to LEARN, not play lacrosse. Took him a year.

You have projects just like we do and its those districts where its happening...

They pluck the black students that want to learn and put them in white schools....

Not that I even care about that - but it really shows that the CPS have no control...

20 students were killed outside their schools this year.... Who knows how many were shot or wounded via weaponry...

white? no. mixed. i live in brooklyn. no place is really "white" except for manhattan beach.

i have projects very close to me.

what city are you in?

What do they do for fun?

Mini EZ is loving her classes, she loves her comparative religion class, AP US History Class and her English class,,and is learning to love her German class.

For fun she loves anything Star Wars and Kevin Smith and Quentin Tarantino Movies, hanging with her best friend Leslie and of course playing with our 3 cats. She's back to reading novels for in her spare time, which is great!
Mini EZ sounds like a nice kid.

I actualy hate teeneagers. Especially if they have cell phones and text alot. Or if they say "whatever" and roll thier eyes. Or if they expect you to buy them a BMW. Or if they don't appreciate anything thier caregivers do for them...kind of like how I was back then except without the cell phone.

white? no. mixed. i live in brooklyn. no place is really "white" except for manhattan beach.

what city are you in?

Chicago....

What do they do for fun?

I actualy hate teeneagers. Especially if they have cell phones and text alot. Or if they say "whatever" and roll thier eyes. Or if they expect you to buy them a BMW. Or if they don't appreciate anything thier caregivers do for them...kind of like how I was back then except without the cell phone.

She is a good kid, I don't know how I got so lucky!
And I swear, she thanks me for EVERYTHING I do for her, be it if I make her lunch or dinner, buy her a pack of gum or new jeans, wash her clothes....next up is TEACHING her how to wash her own clothes!

(and as God as my witness, she just came downstairs, asked where the tape was, I told her and she said, "Thank You!")

Weird!

What do they do for fun?

And I swear, she thanks me for EVERYTHING I do for her, be it if I make her lunch or dinner, buy her a pack of gum or new jeans, wash her clothes....next up is TEACHING her how to wash her own clothes!

(and as God as my witness, she just came downstairs, asked where the tape was, I told her and she said, "Thank You!")

Weird!

I forgot to mention mine were polite as well. It is nice.

Weird!

I forgot to mention mine were polite as well. It is nice.

Good for them! Manners are becoming a "lost art" not only in teens but in adults too.....glad to see parents instilling them in their kids.

What do they do for fun?

Weird!
Apparently she's struck that rare balance bewteen good genes and a good environment, and you are VERY lucky.

And don't even get me STARTED on kids/teens who talk back.

They do it ONCE , and trust me, they'll never do it again once I'm done with them, you can bank on that!

But I'm not a teenager.

It wouldn't be weird to see my mom jamming to Nickleback or Linkin Park at all... Even Greenday...

these are all well known pop or rock groups played on the radio.

And don't even get me STARTED on kids/teens who talk back.

They do it ONCE , and trust me, they'll never do it again once I'm done with them, you can bank on that!
My poor departed Mum was the same way...only I was especially difficult. We're talking arrests, drugs, poor grades, staying out all night....I really wish I could take it all back. But bless her...she did live long enough to see me straighten out.

what city are you in?

Chicago....

everyone i know who's been there loves chicago. my husband said rush street was one of the cooler places he's been.

But I'm not a teenager.

these are all well known pop or rock groups played on the radio.

My daughter took a lot of my CD's from the day, Pixies, Replacements, X, They Might be Giants, Husker Du, et all and downloaded them on her ipod.

She also has a variation of classical music on there too, along with some bands I've never heard of, which is how it should be!

Forum List

Back