Do you have a favorite Mormon?

My favorite would have to be Jerald and Sandra Tanner.

They are ex-mormons who write books and make videos exposing the Mormon cult.

Utah Lighthouse Ministry

If by exposing you mean making stuff up and literally ripping quotes out of context, then yes you are correct.

When there is an ellipse. It's usually because they needed to cut something out that directly contradicts a point they were trying to make.

Actually, the Tanners where the ones who publically doubted the authenticity of the Salamander Letters and other documents produced by Mark Hoffman while the LDS leadership in SLC were buying those suckers up and trying to hide them in basements.

And then when Hoffman started blowing people up to cover his tracks, there was a huge coverup to hide how badly the leadership got fooled.

My favorite Mormon. Orson Scott Card. He proves that you can have absolutely no talent and be a published writer.

Would have to be Sen Reid (D) of course :) Wonder who JoeB's favorite mormon is?

LIke I said, Orson Scott Card. I read Ender's Game, and honestly, what a load of crap that was.

Yeah. It won the Nebula Award and the Hugo because it was a load of crap. YOUR personal assessment is like all vastly superior and shit.

You idiot.

Do you realize how easy it is to win a Hugo?

My problem with "Ender" was that it was 400 pages of the same thing. Ender gets into a fight, kills someone, gets into a new fight... Rinse wash repeat. Until we finally get to the alien threat, which was a huge disappointment. Honestly, I've read better Star Trek Fan Fic.

The weird incestuos subtext with the sister was kind of creepy, too.

The only thing that's creepier? Card's attempts to rationalize why the Book of Mormon must be true despite absolutely NO archeological evidence for the Nephite civilization.

Last edited:
LIke I said, Orson Scott Card. I read Ender's Game, and honestly, what a load of crap that was.

Yeah. It won the Nebula Award and the Hugo because it was a load of crap. YOUR personal assessment is like all vastly superior and shit.

You idiot.

Do you realize how easy it is to win a Hugo?

My problem with "Ender" was that it was 400 pages of the same thing. Ender gets into a fight, kills someone, gets into a new fight... Rinse wash repeat. Until we finally get to the alien threat, which was a huge disappointment. Honestly, I've read better Star Trek Fan Fic.

The weird incestuos subtext with the sister was kind of creepy, too.

The only thing that's creepier? Card's attempts to rationalize why the Book of Mormon must be true despite absolutely NO archeological evidence for the Nephite civilization.

I don't care what your problem with the book was. I seriously don't value your opinion. Indeed, when you ask stupid-ass questions premised on the contention that it's easy to win a Hugo, I have no other option. I have to dismiss you as just a goober with an opinion.

It's simple. You are entitled not to care for the book. Lots of movies have won Oscars that I found to be just boring crap cinema. But it's one thing not to care for an award winner; it's another thing to suggest that your low opinion is the only valid opinion.

Ender's Game worked on a variety of levels. It deserved its awards. See that? Another opinion!

And guess what? You don't have to buy anybody's argument about the foundations of any religion. Welcome to America.

I think that the people who give out Hugos or Oscars are kind of pretentious anyway...

But that's not the point, is it.

And guess what? You don't have to buy anybody's argument about the foundations of any religion. Welcome to America.

No, but I think we should call bullshit on bullshit.

The thing is, if the Nephites existed, we'd have some evidence of them OTHER than the Book of Mormon.

I mean, we have the Bible, but we have a lot of archeological evidence that supports that the bible was about real people and real events. There really was a Jericho, a Jerusalem, and so on.

Any scientific study of any aspect of Mormonism only comes to one conclusion.

Joseph Smith made it all up to scam less smart people out of money and get into the bloomers of multiple women and girls.

And if Mitt Romney or Orson Scott Card believe otherwise, I really can't take them seriously.

I think that the people who give out Hugos or Oscars are kind of pretentious anyway...

But that's not the point, is it.

No, but I think we should call bullshit on bullshit.

The thing is, if the Nephites existed, we'd have some evidence of them OTHER than the Book of Mormon.

I mean, we have the Bible, but we have a lot of archeological evidence that supports that the bible was about real people and real events. There really was a Jericho, a Jerusalem, and so on.

Any scientific study of any aspect of Mormonism only comes to one conclusion.

Joseph Smith made it all up to scam less smart people out of money and get into the bloomers of multiple women and girls.

And if Mitt Romney or Orson Scott Card believe otherwise, I really can't take them seriously.

Anybody can call bullshit on whatever they consider to be bullshit. But the Mormon religion and the factual accuracy of its underpinnings have not a single thing to do with the topic of this thread.

If you want to debate that religion's merits -- or ANY other religion's merits for that matter -- maybe you could start a thread about it.

I won't be participating in your "discussion" however since, frankly, I don't give a shit about that topic.

In this thread, you are off topic.

thumbnailCAD1J8CJ.jpg

My favorite would have to be Jerald and Sandra Tanner.

They are ex-mormons who write books and make videos exposing the Mormon cult.

Utah Lighthouse Ministry

If by exposing you mean making stuff up and literally ripping quotes out of context, then yes you are correct.

When there is an ellipse. It's usually because they needed to cut something out that directly contradicts a point they were trying to make.

Actually, the Tanners where the ones who publically doubted the authenticity of the Salamander Letters and other documents produced by Mark Hoffman while the LDS leadership in SLC were buying those suckers up and trying to hide them in basements.

And then when Hoffman started blowing people up to cover his tracks, there was a huge coverup to hide how badly the leadership got fooled.

My favorite Mormon. Orson Scott Card. He proves that you can have absolutely no talent and be a published writer.

That's really funny about Card.

I met him in 79 or 80. My impression of him was that he was amazingly pompous. In that year of my life I was still wide-eyed and naive and didn't tend to judge others but his pomposity was so vast that even I noticed it. He shared an anecdote about how one of his stories was rejected and one of the specific criticisms he had received was that it was too long. So he made it longer and that solved the problem. He was very proud of his counter-intuitive brilliance.

It was so long ago but I think he was referring to Ender's Game in the short story version.

I met him in 79 or 80. My impression of him was that he was amazingly pompous. In that year of my life I was still wide-eyed and naive and didn't tend to judge others but his pomposity was so vast that even I noticed it. He shared an anecdote about how one of his stories was rejected and one of the specific criticisms he had received was that it was too long. So he made it longer and that solved the problem. He was very proud of his counter-intuitive brilliance.

It was so long ago but I think he was referring to Ender's Game in the short story version.

Actually, Card is still incredibly pompous. And frankly, he really didn't solve the problem. Ender is an awful book, and what I've heard is the sequels are even worse.

Actually, Card is still incredibly pompous. And frankly, he really didn't solve the problem. Ender is an awful book, and what I've heard is the sequels are even worse.

Ender's Game was a terrific book.

Your opinion is what is awful. Awfully stupid and ignorant.

:thup:

When I started reading Ender's Game, I couldn't put it down. Ranks right up there with Dune, Foundation, and a series no one ever talks about: "Flux and Anchor".

When I started reading Ender's Game, I couldn't put it down. Ranks right up there with Dune, Foundation, and a series no one ever talks about: "Flux and Anchor".

The first time I tried to read it, I found it so awful that I put it aside because it was kind of dull...

Then I saw a discussion on an SF Message Board comparing Ender to Hitler, and the discussion was interesting enough that I gave it a second look.

And, nope, it was still a steaming turd of a book.

The first time I tried to read it, I found it so awful that I put it aside because it was kind of dull...

Then I saw a discussion on an SF Message Board comparing Ender to Hitler, and the discussion was interesting enough that I gave it a second look.

My son and I both loved it. I'm not sure what makes you think your opinion is so special.

There will come a point in time, Joe, where you won't care what people think of your literary choices, and you won't throw out names of authors to get pussy.

"I was reading Vonnegut last night, and..." (indie girls swoon and drop their panties)

Yeah, fuck that noise. Though, actually, I was reading Vonnegut last night.

My son and I both loved it. I'm not sure what makes you think your opinion is so special.

There will come a point in time, Joe, where you won't care what people think of your literary choices, and you won't throw out names of authors to get pussy.

"I was reading Vonnegut last night, and..." (indie girls swoon and drop their panties)

Yeah, fuck that noise. Though, actually, I was reading Vonnegut last night.

My favorite Vonnegut line was when he was discussing some asshole and found it necessary to inform the reader, "This is an asshole. * "

Forum List

Back