Do you have a fave Beatles album?

I didn't care for the Beatles. I think they were overrated.

Not caring for them - or really their music - is fine, but saying they were overrated is a bit strong. Overrated in what way? Let me disagree respectfully. In terms of influence on popular music I'd have to say they were one of several huge influences. In the short time they were actually together they changed the idea of popular music that possibly no other artist in the field has done.

Not caring for them - or really their music - is fine, but saying they were overrated is a bit strong. Overrated in what way? Let me disagree respectfully. In terms of influence on popular music I'd have to say they were one of several huge influences. In the short time they were actually together they changed the idea of popular music that possibly no other artist in the field has done.

You are right. I should have qualified my comment. By overrated, I am referring to their technical musical acuity. Certainly they have had an impact on music and music history.

You are right. I should have qualified my comment. By overrated, I am referring to their technical musical acuity. Certainly they have had an impact on music and music history.

Fair point. I'm not able to critique them from a musical ability standpoint but I've heard and read that their technical ability was competent but not brilliant. In that sense then it's probable that the songwriting abilities of Lennon and McCartney plus good early management (Brian Epstein) and musical production (George Martin) together with a knack for either predicting or making major trend changes in popular music might explain it. I suppose because I remember them from their fairly early days as I'm able to look back and see how they changed themselves, not in the dramatic reinventions of David Bowie, but how they changed popular music as they made their changes. The Beatles of "With the Beatles" were not the Beatles of "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." And if I can digress to singles just for a moment, who would have thought that the same band that made "Love Me Do" could bring us "Eleanor Rigby"?

Forum List

Back