Do you have a backbone?

Do you have the strength of your convictions?

• Yes, I have a backbone!

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • No, I am a spineless jellyfish.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other, I can't even decide on a poll question.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
I have no idea what my neighbors' political convictions are.

Nor do I care.

looking at the state our our great nation perhaps we should start caring about what are neighbors think. Perhaps we should start a dialogue with them. Obviously bitching on a message board isn't achieving anything substantial.

I've tried this. It's hard to reason with, educate or convince the ignorant.
One of my neighbors votes based on the candidates name. Yes, their name. She knows little to nothing about any candidate running for any office whether is local or national, but if she likes their name, she'll vote for them.

Do I have a backbone? A "backbone" being slang for someone who has certain convictions and is not afraid of voicing them or defending them by action as well as deed.

Let's see... Registered Republican, member of the Tea Party, life-time member of the NRA, practicing evangelical Christian, life time member of the Police Special Operations Team Association, life time member of the Police Sniper's Association, member of the Chamber of Commerce, member of the Rotary club, I sit on the board of directors for the local Association for Developmentally Disabled citizens, a member of the adoptive parents association, and finally, associate member of the Fraternal Order of Police.

I have a backbone.

My friends and I don't much talk about politics, folks are actually held accountable for their mouth around here and not much good ever comes talking about it when there's usually booze involved. Folks into discussing it go to monthly local council meetings where the donnybrooks take place over it.

I was always taught the same thing, don't talk politics or religion, and don't discuss how much you money you make. I've pretty much followed that line of thinking for the majority of my life. Now looking at where we are now I have to wonder if that was such a good idea.

Ah! It's your fault then is it? Here I thought it was Bush's.

Nor do I care.

looking at the state our our great nation perhaps we should start caring about what are neighbors think. Perhaps we should start a dialogue with them. Obviously bitching on a message board isn't achieving anything substantial.

Bitching on a message board is often the only lives empty and unhappy have.....:eusa_whistle:

The neighbors on my right are conservative, so I agree with them, on my left is an empty house, directly accross the street is a house owned by snowbirds whom I hardly ever see and accross the street an one house to the left is an Obama supporter. Can't talk to them about politics because they are black.

I do a whole lot of talking politics on FaceBook. Even arguing with my lefty wingnut brother.

Nor do I care.

Bitching on a message board is often the only lives empty and unhappy have.....:eusa_whistle:

I notice you have almost 4000 posts.

Do I have a backbone? A "backbone" being slang for someone who has certain convictions and is not afraid of voicing them or defending them by action as well as deed.

Let's see... Registered Republican, member of the Tea Party, life-time member of the NRA, practicing evangelical Christian, life time member of the Police Special Operations Team Association, life time member of the Police Sniper's Association, member of the Chamber of Commerce, member of the Rotary club, I sit on the board of directors for the local Association for Developmentally Disabled citizens, a member of the adoptive parents association, and finally, associate member of the Fraternal Order of Police.

I have a backbone.

You are a great example of what I'm talking about. It's not the particular view, it's the fact you have one and put voice to it. My question would be, as a registered republican, do you really believe they have the general publics best intrest at heart, or their own and their corprate buddies. Your membership in the Tea party would say otherwise.

You obviously care a great deal about this country and it's direction, as police are sworn to protect and serve. With all your activity, your voice would carry, do you still voice the objections to large government excesses and try to arouse your fellows to do the same? Do you stand against the RINO's, Republicans and the Democrats who don't have the publics best intrests at heart? Is your local community a slave to the politics of Republicans and Democrats, or are they independant and free to do whats best for them?

My friends and I don't much talk about politics, folks are actually held accountable for their mouth around here and not much good ever comes talking about it when there's usually booze involved. Folks into discussing it go to monthly local council meetings where the donnybrooks take place over it.

I was always taught the same thing, don't talk politics or religion, and don't discuss how much you money you make. I've pretty much followed that line of thinking for the majority of my life. Now looking at where we are now I have to wonder if that was such a good idea.

Ah! It's your fault then is it? Here I thought it was Bush's.

I am not innocent in this, and I take responsibility for not doing my part. Up until now.

If you are talking about "watering the tree of liberty."

That ship has sailed. We lost that ability when we lost the right to bear arms.

Grass roots is a long shot, since it's hard to get enough people to agree on a direction and keep the assholes from taking over. Like the TP; the religious right krept in, like I knew it would, and ruined that movement.

The Pee Party is just a bunch of losers, looking for a free lunch, so it will die when it starts to get really cold out.

I live in a poor neighborhood, so I'm surrounded by people that rely on handouts. so, there's no sense in talking to the slaves.

Nor do I care as long as they mind their own business and keep their property up.

I think the salient point here is that they don't (mind their own business). The parties and leadership they support are increasingly willing to interfere in our business to satisfy the wants and insecurities of those who vote for them. I think it's a fair cop to point this out to the people who blindly support them and, more importantly, those who support them knowing what they do.

I remember an editorial a few years back (I believe it was by George Will) calling for an end to secret ballot voting. Not sure how serious he was, but there's something to said for holding people accountable for the votes they cast.

Last edited:

I have a backbone.

You are a great example of what I'm talking about. It's not the particular view, it's the fact you have one and put voice to it. My question would be, as a registered republican, do you really believe they have the general publics best intrest at heart, or their own and their corprate buddies. Your membership in the Tea party would say otherwise.

You obviously care a great deal about this country and it's direction, as police are sworn to protect and serve. With all your activity, your voice would carry, do you still voice the objections to large government excesses and try to arouse your fellows to do the same? Do you stand against the RINO's, Republicans and the Democrats who don't have the publics best intrests at heart? Is your local community a slave to the politics of Republicans and Democrats, or are they independant and free to do whats best for them?

I have read the Constitution and I have read the Federalist papers. I have read writings by Jefferson, Franklin, Washington, and many, many others. The common thread about these writings and about what the Constitution does, is it LIMITS government. The Democrats want to grow government into areas where it has NO BUSINESS going. Health care for example, personal mandates for another. Government SERVES the people. Not the other way around. The Republicans more closely match this than certainly the Democrats.

Coburn and Inhofe are my Senators. My Representative is a guy by the name of Sullivan. All social and fiscal conservative Republicans. I have met with each of them at least every six months since they were elected. I NEVER miss one of their town meetings. And I have no problem emailing each when something comes up. Usually, I can expect a reply. I give generously to each of their campaigns and have told them that when it comes to Barrack Obama's agenda... Do whatever you have to, but STOP IT. Fillibuster, block, amend, defeat and if nothing else, aggitate and complicate. I believe that the very survival of this nation depends on it.

In Oklahoma we also have a Democratic representative by the name of Dan Boren. I live next to his district. He is a member of the Blue Dog Democrats. And he is a nighmare for Barrack Obama. I have given to his campaign as well and I have sat down with him and spoken to him one-on-one. He understands and agrees about the danger that this new agenda has for America. He voted against Obamacare and has voted against most of Barry's legislative agenda as well. If he would run for Govenor, I would give to his campaign and I would vote for him.

I will tell you that a friend of mine on this board is Sallow. I would imagine that he and I are about as different politically as one could get. But Sallow has integrity of thought... and for me, that's enough. I think he has a brain tumor which hasn't been found yet, thus the reason for his left-leaning politics.

Unlike some on this board, I do not believe in being a party hack and spewing simply a party line...

Doesn't everyone ? Take me drunk,i'm home.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EENEhm4sJYs&feature=related]Kubota BX24 Tractor Backhoe - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back