Do you go to Vietnamese restaurants?

I love Vietnamese food.

When I was going to Boston University there was this little hole in the wall place near Kenmore Square that we used to go to all the time. The best spicy shrimp on the planet.

It was the beginning of my love affair with spicy foods.

Not since I was over there.
I prefer to know what species of meat I am eating.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
Vietnamese people are some of the coolest on this planet.Order Bulgogi :cool::eek:
Yes. I've been there.Fantastic people who don't hate murkins. They hate your bullshit Nazi govt.

The gov of Vietnam needs to apologize for cheating on the cease-fire.

The gov of Vietnam needs to apologize for cheating on the cease-fire.

In case you hadn't noticed it's 2012........... Anyone who wants to apologize for or be apologized to for something that happened that long ago is......... how shall I put this delicately......... a rabid nut case.

It was at least 20+ years after the war ended that I went to my first Vietnamese restaurant.

The name of the restaurant in big letters said:"Tu Du"

As I was eating the owner came by the table and asked how the food was?

I told him it was good; and then proceded to ask him what the name of the restaurant ment.

He told me that in Vietnamese it was the word for "Freedom"

Last edited:
I have gradually gotten over thinking of them as The Enemy.

There are other Asian food options.

They CHEATED on the cease-fire in spring of 1975. ("Peace is at hand") Henry K. Dec 1972

I had some in my classes while in college. They found out I was in the military and my unit helped rescue them when they tried to take a boat and escape communist rule after we pulled out. They personally thanked me for saving them, which they didn't have to do.

Nice people.

Last edited:

They CHEATED on the cease-fire in spring of 1975. ("Peace is at hand") Henry K. Dec 1972

I do.
I even go Japanese and German now and then.

I do.
I even go Japanese and German now and then.

Yeah, I even like the UK......even though they tend to still call us colonialists.

Not since I was over there.
I prefer to know what species of meat I am eating.

You didn't like "Montagnard stew", U.S.? I still think it beats the hell out of a can of spam, but for those who don't know, as with some Indian curries, it might be advisable not to ask too many details about the ingredients.:eusa_drool:

Chink food tastes the same

No it doesn't, actually; but then, you probably think all Asians look alike, no? For the sake of brevity, just tell us which people/cultures on this planet you DON'T hate, or at least look down on-I'm sure it's a short list. Somehow, I feel just a little dirty after having this conversation with you.:eek:

I can get by without chicnk food

Oh, come on now. Be respectful. I don't think that I've ever had AUTHENTIC (maybe some kind of variation or greasy hybrid of it) Vietnamese food, but I know that it has been heavily influenced by the French culture-since France occupied/fought with them, in the First Indochina War....and probably before that. Since the French seem to be the masters of cuisine in the world, I would say that Vietnamese food is probably out of the world.

You need to open your mind, and your mouth (to savor the flavors of the world, not regurgitate hate). Contrary to what many people in here would like others to believe, there is some beauty in EVERY culture. This world would be a boring place, if we were to wake up in the morning and find that EVERY country on earth had decided to embrace American culture, and be carbon copies of us. Imagine...American shopping malls in Cambodia and Nepal. :(

Short answer, no, he isn't and I am; yet he's the one who hates them (apparently including the ones we went there to protect in the first place). Go figure.:cuckoo:

I was just wondering. If he had served and had PTSD, I would have totally understood his unwillingness or inability to enter a Vietnamese restaurant. Sometimes, even a smell will trigger a bad memory or a flashback. You probably know all about that. I understand.

But now that I understand that it's just bitterness from a historical standpoint.....okay.

Yeah, I know; I've lived with PTSD ever since I came home; I think I remember you said you had family members who served in Vietnam, so you know what that's like. I've learned to deal with it; some days (and nights) are better than others, but I've been lucky; some have it worse than I do.

My father has PTSD from 36 years in law enforcement- the people he's seen killed, the stand-offs. I have PTSD-from 17 years of EMS. Canada has already started awareness of PTSD in first responders. The United States is slowly beginning to realize that we also get it, and it's very real.

Right now with so many war veterans coming home the focus is and should be, on them. The difference between emergency workers and military (except for you. Haven't you been at this for many years?) is that our experience isn't concentrated into 1-2 years of combat. Our experience is spread out over 20 years. We don't see horror every shift, but we see it regularly over years. I've had a rifle pointed at me; though I didn't know it until hours later-as the guy was watching us through the trees. I've seen decapitations, countless suicides (shotguns are always nice :S), people run over by farm equipment, thrown from cars, smeared like a bug from 18-wheelers on top of their vehicles.

Father has seen the same. And when gin asked that question, I thought that's where this discussion was headed. You know as well as I, that all it takes is an odor, a sound, sometimes a single word-a coworker of mine worked a fire where a mother and her two children didn't make it out of the house, and for weeks later, if someone simply said the word "fire" to him, he would break down into tears.

I'm not too proud to say that I reached out for help. Psychiatrist, therapist...the works. I no longer have the same nightmare that I had for 3 years, continuously. I hope that you've had some success in fighting it-because it's a bitch to live with.

You are such an ignorant bastard, the Vietnam war ended decades ago retard and even than we were not at war with the whole country of Vietnam, we had Vietnamese allies in South Vietnam. We are at war in Afghanistan and there are plenty of Afghan and Middle Eastern restaurants around this country, and the food is quite tasty. We didn't go to war with their cuisine you stupid ass bitch.

Forum List

Back