Do you get misty eyed over veterans?

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
When I hear stories about veterans I get choked up.

When I'm hearing it, I'm caught up in listening. But when the story is over I notice I'm misty eyed or I have goose bumps. Maybe it's not remarkable. But I've only noticed it in recent years. Getting very sentimental in my old age.

The most recent time was listening to NBC news tonight and they mentioned the passing of Florence Green, the last known veteran of WWI.

BBC News - 'World's last' WWI veteran Florence Green dies aged 110

I've hesitated to mention this because I know I'm such a spectator and can't comprehend the sacrifices veterans have made. But well ... I'm moved.

Last edited:

When I'm hearing it, I'm caught up in listening. But when the story is over I notice I'm misty eyed or I have goose bumps. Maybe it's not remarkable. But I've only noticed it in recent years. Getting very sentimental in my old age.

The most recent time was listening to NBC news tonight and they mentioned the passing of Florence Green, of the last known veteran of WWI.

I've hesitated to mention this because I know I'm such a spectator and can't comprehend the sacrifices veterans have made. But well ... I'm moved.
Yes. I had a friend, Charles R. "Steve" Stevens...he was a veteran of WWII, Korea and Vietnam...an airplane mechanic...told me numerous tales about his time in the service of our country...outlived his son and his wife...is now buried on top of them at Andersonville. (They stack coffins to save turf.) I get misty eyed about once every single time I think about him...like right now.

usmcpv1880360.jpg

The most recent time was listening to NBC news tonight and they mentioned the passing of Florence Green, the last known veteran of WWI.

Yes, sweetheart. Yes, I do, and it is an emotional response that is immediate. But not for them and their sacrifices, where would my country and I, be.

Memorial Day always saddens me. The names and faces, places, cries of the wounded and the sounds of war become very vivid in my mind. I will never forget those brave Marines of the 2nd Plt Charley Company, 1st Bn 4th Marines who I fought along side of, Vietnam 1967-68.There will always be a place in my heart for fallen of the 2nd Plt.

Last edited:
Since most of those brave men and women who died in service in the past 60 years did so in undeclared wars that had political motivations and nothing to do with the defense of the country, we should all be sad and ashamed that their lives were wasted by the country they served.

Since most of those brave men and women who died in service in the past 60 years did so in undeclared wars that had political motivations and nothing to do with the defense of the country, we should all be sad and ashamed that their lives were wasted by the country they served.

Their sacrifices over the years have allowed people of your unappreciative ilk to post drivel like this on message boards.

Yes, sweetheart. Yes, I do, and it is an emotional response that is immediate. But not for them and their sacrifices, where would my country and I, be.
Politics aside, yes I do & I admire your statement as to where we would be without them.

Their sacrifices over the years have allowed people of your unappreciative ilk to post drivel like this on message boards.
Warrior, you realize Bodecea served?

I appreciate the lives of brave men and women more than our fucking government does.

Tell me how did sending tens of thousands of brave men to die in Vietnam do anything to make us safer?

Vietnam was no threat to us. How about Korea? Iraq? Afghanistan?

These were all undeclared wars motivated by political gamesmanship.

• Thanks
Reactions: del

I appreciate the lives of brave men and women more than our fucking government does.

Tell me how did sending tens of thousands of brave men to die in Vietnam do anything to make us safer?

Was Iwo Jima or Normandy Beach a threat? I guess we could have just left the Japanese and Germans alone and went home, huh,

Was Iwo Jima or Normandy Beach a threat? I guess we could have just left the Japanese and Germans alone and went home, huh,

you're not the sharpest knife in the drawer, are you?

you're not the sharpest knife in the drawer, are you?
Iraq yes, NK, and Afghanistan NO!

the empty vessel always makes the most noise

when my father returned from his first tour of vietnam....he told me it was a total fucking waste....his words not mine.....he also realized they were sending fucking kids over there with no more than basic training and it was up to ncos to keep their stupid asses alive ...again his words.....he volunteered for another tour and was deployed within 90 days.....he manage to land himself back in vietnam right before the tet offensive ...he never agreed with the war but realized his duties....simple as that....

one does not have to mask the truth to be honorable

but back on topic.....i tend to get overemotional at those things now.....i think it does have to do with aging...the young are given hard hearts......seems hearts soften over time

I have had the fortune to sit and talk with veterans in some nursing homes and at some Vet centers. My father waded ashore on Omaha beach and before he died he told me what he saw and what he did. I UNDERSTOOD why when it was my turn to leave for Vietnam, he told me to do what ever was necessary to keep myself alive and that when I got on the plane to come home, leave it sitting there on the ramp. For me, it worked. But I NEVER saw nor did I ever have to do a fraction of what he did.

I do get misty-eyed and I get choked up, more as I get older. On each July 4th Rhema Bible College in Broken Arrow has an old-fashioned patriotic fireworks display and show. It never fails, of all the old veterans that show up, we're all standing there at attention (those that can stand), tears streaming down our faces. Last year, I noticed that there were so many young boys and girls. Some without arms... and some without legs. One that was with the 4th ID in Iraq sat in his wheel chair next to a guy who was a tanker in Patton's 3rd Army.

Two years ago, I went to Arlington again. The words of Genesis always come to mind... "Take off your shoes, because the ground on which you walk, is hallowed ground."

Warrior, they've never been. They don't understand... they NEVER will. They can't help but make it political...

Last edited:
how is the truth political?

I've never had a veteran ask me about the geo-political implications of the war in Vietnam. I have my opinions and they have theirs, but they usually go unspoken. We talk about getting shot at, what it's like to watch your friends die, the futility and brutality of war, of serving your country. We speak of duty, honor, integrity...

It is the "truth" that you choose to believe or not believe. War, for those who have served, is not political...

Forum List

Back