Do you find the Spanish Version of our Star Spangled Banner Offensive?

Do you find the Spanish Version of our Star Spangled Banner Offensive?

• Total voters
Abbey Normal said:
What if it was optional, and you were at a ball game or your kid's soccer match, and the Hispanic people sang it in Spanish? What if they started broadcasting it in both versions over the loudspeaker?
:dunno: One of those things that doesn't move me one way or the other.

mom4 said:
I don't find the Spanish version of the song offensive. But I would find it offensive if it was required to be sung in Spanish. It's America. We speak English.
Not anymore, Mom. Heck, in 1980 I had to jump an airline to Miami to fly a plane to Akron for some work. I got in the terminal there an I SWEAR to you, I didn't hear a word of english the whole time, not one!

mom4 said:
:dunno: One of those things that doesn't move me one way or the other.

I don't have a problem with people of hispanic descent; I dont have a problem with people of Islamic descent, provided that they are Americans, legally immigrated, and assimilated (or in the honest process of assimilating). Part of assimilation is learning the language and the ways of our culture. They should be appeasing US, not us appeasing THEM.

Semper Fi said:
Because the Star Spangled Banner is our National Anthem, and to have it be translated (innaccurately) to Spanish for use by people that are here ILLEGALLY is viewed, by me at least, as defiling our Anthem, our Flag, and thus our Country. That is the big deal here.

Anyone you need to explain the "why" to Semper, is a sons a bitchin jackass. Fuck 'em.

Pale Rider said:
Anyone you need to explain the "why" to Semper, is a sons a bitchin jackass. Fuck 'em.

That was a response to Mom4, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna sit here and listen to you call her a son of a bitchin jackass, sir.

Semper Fi said:
I don't have a problem with people of hispanic descent; I dont have a problem with people of Islamic descent, provided that they are Americans, legally immigrated, and assimilated (or in the honest process of assimilating). Part of assimilation is learning the language and the ways of our culture. They should be appeasing US, not us appeasing THEM.
Perfectly agreed! :beer:

They do not seem to have any intention of assimilating. Here are the translations found at another site:

From California's newspaper the "Orange County Register" (which is not real happy over this) is a translation of their song and ours --

"The Star-Spangled Banner"
(First verse)

O, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.
O, say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

The Mexican's version of our national anthem:

"Our Anthem"
(Translated from Spanish)
Verse 1

Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail as night falls?
Its stars and stripes floated yesterday
In the fierce combat, the sign of victory
The flame of battle, in step with liberty.
Throughout the night it was said, "It is being defended."
Chorus:
Oh, say! Does it still show its beautiful stars
Over the land of the free, the sacred flag?
Verse 2
Its stars and stripes, liberty, we are the same.
We're brothers, it's our anthem.
In the fierce combat, the sign of victory,
Chorus:
"Oh, say! Does it still show its beautiful stars?
Over the land of the free, the sacred flag?"

mom4 said:
I don't find the Spanish version of the song offensive. But I would find it offensive if it was required to be sung in Spanish. It's America. We speak English.

That's kind of where I am with this. I don't mind a Spanish version of the National Anthem, what bothered me at first was the reason there is a Spanish version of the National Athem. Then when I found out they changed the words, that totally pissed me off. I don't see in any way, shape, or form how this is suppose to prove they want to be patriotic Americans. If anything, it proves they want to be Mexicans with American benefits.

Me? Offended? By a disgusting bastardization of the most patriotically inspiring song ever written? By a politically correct atrocity that may as well be a shit stain on the flag? By the tearing down and whoring out of everything my ancesors dumped their blood sweat and tears into? And all of it done by a group of people that thinks jumping a fence or fording a river in the dead of night against sovreignty laws and then failing to even follow the rules that a natural born citizen must follow then 'earns' that person the same rights that my ancestors fought, bled, and died for? Me? Offended? Never.
That's about how I feel too. It's not even the same song anymore and Francis Scott Key would be spinning in his grave right now.

Oh, lighten up. Is it offensive to me? No. The Spanish version is just some cute little song. Anyone can throw together a version of the “National Anthem”. That version does not mean anything unless and until the US government gives it official recognition. Even then, one may choose not to recognize it. I remember attending elementary school with a student who refused to stand and face the flag during the “Pledge of Allegiance”. This issue is, again, much to do about nothing.

I dont see how "The Star Spangled Banner" translates into "Our Anthem" I'm a Spanish II student, and this is what I came up with: "La Bandera Punteada Estrella." Just a thought.

Semper Fi said:
I dont see how "The Star Spangled Banner" translates into "Our Anthem" I'm a Spanish II student, and this is what I came up with: "La Bandera Punteada Estrella." Just a thought.
Because they are 'owning' it. :dunno:

Kathianne said:
Because they are 'owning' it. :dunno:

Yeah, I guess so. Does anyone find it ironic that most of them arent even citizens, yet they claim it as their anthem? I guess it's a compliment, actually, because they want to be Americans so bad. We're just that much better.

Semper Fi said:
Yeah, I guess so. Does anyone find it ironic that most of them arent even citizens, yet they claim it as their anthem? I guess it's a compliment, actually, because they want to be Americans so bad. We're just that much better.
I don't see them wanting to be Americans, if they did they wouldn't be trying to 'take' the country or the anthem.

I'm really thinking "their" version of our National Anthem is going to go the way of the Macarena.

In 6 months, no one will care.

The Spanish version isn't the official National Anthem. That is that. It is a translation. Now, if I hear it being sang at official functions, I could be enticed to a bit of anger.

Pretty much:

043020069ry.gif

Kathianne said:
They do not seem to have any intention of assimilating. Here are the translations found at another site:

From California's newspaper the "Orange County Register" (which is not real happy over this) is a translation of their song and ours --

"The Star-Spangled Banner"
(First verse)

O, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.
O, say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

The Mexican's version of our national anthem:

"Our Anthem"
(Translated from Spanish)
Verse 1

Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail as night falls?
Its stars and stripes floated yesterday
In the fierce combat, the sign of victory
Chorus:
Oh, say! Does it still show its beautiful stars
Over the land of the free, the sacred flag?
Verse 2
Its stars and stripes, liberty, we are the same.
We're brothers, it's our anthem.
In the fierce combat, the sign of victory,
Chorus:
"Oh, say! Does it still show its beautiful stars?
Over the land of the free, the sacred flag?"

The Tribune has a 'chant' I didn't see in the above and no, it does NOT help their cause any:

The Chicago Tribune has the lyrics. Sit down:

Nuestro Himno

Published April 26, 2006

Verse 1

Oh say can you see, a la luz de la aurora/Lo que tanto aclamamos la noche al caer? Sus estrellas, sus franjas flotaban ayer/En el fiero combate en senal de victoria,/Fulgor de lucha, al paso de la libertada,/Por la noche decian: “Se va defendiendo!”

Coro: Oh, decid! Despliega aun su hermosura estrellada,/Sobre tierra de libres, la bandera sagrada?

Chant:

It’s time to make a difference the kids, men and the women/Let’s stand for our beliefs, let’s stand for our vision/What about the children los ninos como P-Star

These kids have no parents, cause all of these mean laws.

See this can’t happen, not only about the Latins.

Asians, blacks and whites and all they do is adding

more and more, let’s not start a war

with all these hard workers,

they can’t help where they were born.

Verse 2

Sus estrellas, sus franjas, la libertad, somos iguales

Somos hermanos, es nuestro himno.

En el fiero combate en senal de victoria,/Fulgor de lucha, al paso de la libertada,/Por la noche decian: “Se va defendiendo!”

Coro: Oh, decid! Despliega aun su hermosura estrellada,/Sobre tierra de libres, la bandera sagrada?

Forum List

Back