Do you feel Hate Speech should be Allowed?

So very true. On some sites you don't even need to register any real information (or you can just fake said information).

Hate groups probably use the internet as a recruiting tool now more then ever.

Who needs hate groups ? We already have political parties.

and then I say---"You're an asshole for calling someone a dickhead." Pretty harmless really.

Harmless? Hardly!

Shame is the only societal remedy to detestable (but Constitutionally protected) speech. You (perhaps rightfully) called me an asshole. This gives me pause and may affect my behavior in the future. The respect of my peers is a far greater lever on my actions than some governmental speech ban.

And I called William Joyce a dickhead for making the loathsome and creepy statement, "Hate speech just means white people speaking the truth about race and ethnicity." Perhaps if enough people express their horror when he says things like this, he might modify his behavior in the future.

Harmless? Hardly!

Shame is the only societal remedy to detestable (but Constitutionally protected) speech. You (perhaps rightfully) called me an asshole. This gives me pause and may affect my behavior in the future. The respect of my peers is a far greater lever on my actions than some governmental speech ban.

And I called William Joyce a dickhead for making the loathsome and creepy statement, "Hate speech just means white people speaking the truth about race and ethnicity." Perhaps if enough people express their horror when he says things like this, he might modify his behavior in the future.

You have not been here loing enough to know we all know Joyce is a racist. He has been called on it MANY times. In many threads by many people. He is been shown his ignorant claims are just that on numerous occasions. It has not effected his posting one bit.

Anymore then pointing out to liberals their ignorance stops them from reposting over and over the same "Bush lied" crap. There is no way to shame someone that is anonomous to begin with, in a community of faceless typers that have no impact on their lives unless they chose to let words on a monitor mean something.

You have not been here loing enough to know we all know Joyce is a racist. He has been called on it MANY times. In many threads by many people. He is been shown his ignorant claims are just that on numerous occasions. It has not effected his posting one bit.

Thanks, GySgt. I'll just ignore him from now on.

Anymore then pointing out to liberals their ignorance stops them from reposting over and over the same "Bush lied" crap. There is no way to shame someone that is anonomous to begin with, in a community of faceless typers that have no impact on their lives unless they chose to let words on a monitor mean something.

No, wait. Even anonymous liberals on a message board can be shamed by the community for detestable speech, as long as they have some basic integrity and intellectual honesty. Trolls are a lost cause but liberals in general are a pretty sensitive group. Far more so than conservatives, by my experience.

I have always found this topic of interest.

Do you feel that Hate Speech should be allowed by such racist groups like the KKK in the United States? Or do you feel the government should step in and make laws?

One has to remember there is a difference between saying you hate or dislike one group and advocating genocide against that group.

Some of the most ruthless leaders in history started the wiping out of groups in their country with words (I.E Hitler).

My personal opinion:

Hate Speech not only goes against the Constitution but skirts the law. It only advocates violence by either a Lone Wolf (Someone who is part of a group but acts alone) or a group of people.

The Constitution states that the Gov't restricts Freedom of Speech in two cases:

1.) Restriction of Speech based on it's content, I.E: Yelling fire in a large crowd of people.

2.) Adverse effect on the community.

And of course certain types of speech:

Obsecnities, Misrepresentation, Defamation, Fighting Words, advocating lawless behavior, or riots.

Is not asking for people to go out and commit genocide fall under this? To go out and murder someone because of their gender, race, or religion falls under this does it not?

Opinions? Comments?

IMO, there is no difference in saying you hate a group and advocating genocide against that group. There IS a difference between that and practicing hatred/genocide against that group. The former is thought, the latter action.

Outlawing ideals is opening a BIG can of worms. Where do you stop?

Look at what extremists now claim is hate speech. For instance, being against illegal immigration is labelled and dismissed as "racist," when in fact it is not.

I think it should be allowed even if I don't like it.

It is when people like that are driven underground and forced to hide their true colors that they become the most dangerous.

Besides that kind of nonsense only serves to show their own ignorance and it's better to know who they are rather than wonder.

and hate speech comes from all races not just whites. I think they are the most public figures in this debate perhap because they've been at it the longest and had the biggest platform.

I have always found this topic of interest.

Do you feel that Hate Speech should be allowed by such racist groups like the KKK in the United States? Or do you feel the government should step in and make laws?

One has to remember there is a difference between saying you hate or dislike one group and advocating genocide against that group.

Some of the most ruthless leaders in history started the wiping out of groups in their country with words (I.E Hitler).

My personal opinion:

Hate Speech not only goes against the Constitution but skirts the law. It only advocates violence by either a Lone Wolf (Someone who is part of a group but acts alone) or a group of people.

The Constitution states that the Gov't restricts Freedom of Speech in two cases:

1.) Restriction of Speech based on it's content, I.E: Yelling fire in a large crowd of people.

2.) Adverse effect on the community.

And of course certain types of speech:

Obsecnities, Misrepresentation, Defamation, Fighting Words, advocating lawless behavior, or riots.

Is not asking for people to go out and commit genocide fall under this? To go out and murder someone because of their gender, race, or religion falls under this does it not?

Opinions? Comments?

Free speech has served us well.

Eliminating free speech is an even worse social disease than hate speech

Free speech has served us well.

Eliminating free speech is an even worse social disease than hate speech

I agree. My opinion is pretty-much identical to Silence's. At least with freedom of speech you know who the knuckleheads are and what they're hating at the moment. Drive them underground and you only get attacked in the blind.

I agree. My opinion is pretty-much identical to Silence's. At least with freedom of speech you know who the knuckleheads are and what they're hating at the moment. Drive them underground and you only get attacked in the blind.

I agree with Silence and yours points Gunny.

I don't think hate speech should be driven underground for the same reason I don't think Alcohol and certain drugs should be driven under ground. If they're above ground, it can be watched and seen by all. If underground, you really don't have a real good idea of what's going on. You can only speculate and guess.

Though I do think that certain groups like the KKK do break the Constitution law, you'll never see them banned. Just like for the reasons you and silence listed but you can only imagine the number of attacks that will be stepped up because of it. Plus, how much harder it would be to track certain activities.

That's why they made certain laws in my opinion to track their activities even more. (Such as not allowing the KKK to wear their hoods in public.)

I understand they are not the only racist group in this country, however I think we can all agree that they are the biggest in the history of the United States by far. Though I agree with what you said Silence.

Since you want the government to punish anyone who speaks about race in ways you don't like, it's pretty clear that you're not interested in a debate on the merits. When you can't think of ways to refute others' arguments, you simply say, "Well, that's hate speech. Put that man in jail."

There is a big difference between "hate speech" and simply acknowledging the difference between races and other groups. We won't truly be able to say we have tolerance and equality in this nation, until we can discuss our differences openly, without fear, and without derogatory slurs.

A lot of what is posted on these boards could be considered hate speech. I've been disappointed to see how much name calling goes on, when all that ever serves to do is alienate us from each other, and destroy any chance we had of developing a respectful understanding of one another's view points.

I don't believe hate speech should be made illegal. However, people encouraging violence through hate speech should certainly be dealt with, since that creates a volatile situation.

Exactly who do you want making the final decision ?

I just meant the name calling that goes on is hate speech, cursing at people and what not. I don't want anyone making the final decision. It shouldn't be illegal.

Just trying to encourage a more respectful dialouge, though I imagine I'm wasting my breath. Lol.

Exactly who do you want making the final decision ?

There's three sides to every story.

Person A's side, Person B's side and the facts. I would never want someone determining whether what I say is legal or illegal speech.

Despite all her faults, one of the things I love about America is we have freedom of speech to say what we want for the most part. And for some, it could be the most stupid and ignorant things to say but we have a right to call them out on that.

I just meant the name calling that goes on is hate speech, cursing at people and what not. I don't want anyone making the final decision. It shouldn't be illegal.

Just trying to encourage a more respectful dialouge, though I imagine I'm wasting my breath. Lol.

This is how political "correctness" turned our country into mush. People are free to say what they feel. Even the truth.

Thanks, GySgt. I'll just ignore him from now on.

No, wait. Even anonymous liberals on a message board can be shamed by the community for detestable speech, as long as they have some basic integrity and intellectual honesty. Trolls are a lost cause but liberals in general are a pretty sensitive group. Far more so than conservatives, by my experience.
While republicans are always on the attack!

This is how political "correctness" turned our country into mush. People are free to say what they feel. Even the truth.

I NEVER said we should abridge freedom of speech. I'm a JOURNALISM MAJOR for god's sake!

And, don't accuse me of being PC. I'm talking about being respectful. Read any political science book EVER that discusses tactics, and it'll talk about creating a respectful dialouge, that's different from "political correctness". In a respectful dialouge you can talk about race, religion, anything without offending anyone.

I've cracked racial jokes to people of those races, made fun of people's religions to their faces, and they've laughed because they knew I was joking, I had proven already that I respected them, made jokes about myself as well, and I knew where to draw the line. And, that's how it should be. I'm not PC, I'm Gen Y, and my generation doesn't need to be PC because we're actually tolerant.

We can say whatever we feel? Really? Even the truth? This from a man who thinks he can speak on behalf of a woman's uterus.

Last edited:
If you have not figured out by now that BOTH sides of the aisle are guilty of attacking the other, you're a _________ !
Example the RNC, did the repugs actually talk about anything they were going to do, all I heard was them bashing Obama and trying to distance themselves from Bush.

Forum List

Back