Do you feel Hate Speech should be Allowed?

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
I have always found this topic of interest.

Do you feel that Hate Speech should be allowed by such racist groups like the KKK in the United States? Or do you feel the government should step in and make laws?

One has to remember there is a difference between saying you hate or dislike one group and advocating genocide against that group.

Some of the most ruthless leaders in history started the wiping out of groups in their country with words (I.E Hitler).

My personal opinion:

Hate Speech not only goes against the Constitution but skirts the law. It only advocates violence by either a Lone Wolf (Someone who is part of a group but acts alone) or a group of people.

The Constitution states that the Gov't restricts Freedom of Speech in two cases:

1.) Restriction of Speech based on it's content, I.E: Yelling fire in a large crowd of people.

2.) Adverse effect on the community.

And of course certain types of speech:

Obsecnities, Misrepresentation, Defamation, Fighting Words, advocating lawless behavior, or riots.

Is not asking for people to go out and commit genocide fall under this? To go out and murder someone because of their gender, race, or religion falls under this does it not?

Opinions? Comments?

Last edited:
Oh really William? And just would that "truth" be?

Since you want the government to punish anyone who speaks about race in ways you don't like, it's pretty clear that you're not interested in a debate on the merits. When you can't think of ways to refute others' arguments, you simply say, "Well, that's hate speech. Put that man in jail."

How many Americans are willing to kill so that other Americans can say objectional things?

I think it should be allowed. Not only is it validated by the first amendment there is no rule that says a listener must agree. Banning "hate speech" doesn't kill hate... it's only driven underground. Besides, what amounts to "hate" is largely in the eye of the beholder anyway.

point in case. In this town lately some group of NAZIS have petitioned to march on a rather popular day for college football. They were turned down for a permit but they insist that they will be here anyway. Well, so what. The last time they came they were not hailed as anything but deplorable bastards.

and so it goes.

I have always found this topic of interest.

Do you feel that Hate Speech should be allowed by such racist groups like the KKK in the United States? Or do you feel the government should step in and make laws?

One has to remember there is a difference between saying you hate or dislike one group and advocating genocide against that group.

Some of the most ruthless leaders in history started the wiping out of groups in this country with words (I.E Hitler).

1) Hitler was German and never lived in this country
2) You're a dope
3) STFU

Since you want the government to punish anyone who speaks about race in ways you don't like, it's pretty clear that you're not interested in a debate on the merits. When you can't think of ways to refute others' arguments, you simply say, "Well, that's hate speech. Put that man in jail."

Well I'm honestly interested in hearing what you have to say that.

Do you feel that Hate Speech should be allowed...?

It should be allowed by law, but mocked and shamed by society.

I'll demonstrate:

Can you guys believe that racist dickhead who said hate speech was just "white people speaking the truth"?

1) Hitler was German and never lived in this country
2) You're a dope
3) STFU

I never said Hitler lived in this country or wasn't German.

I was giving a example of how Hate Speech helped lead to Genocide.

I'm not a dope and telling me to STFU? How immature of you.

Actually add something to the convo why don't you other then just petty insults?

I think it should be allowed. Not only is it validated by the first amendment there is no rule that says a listener must agree. Banning "hate speech" doesn't kill hate... it's only driven underground. Besides, what amounts to "hate" is largely in the eye of the beholder anyway.

point in case. In this town lately some group of NAZIS have petitioned to march on a rather popular day for college football. They were turned down for a permit but they insist that they will be here anyway. Well, so what. The last time they came they were not hailed as anything but deplorable bastards.

and so it goes.

Great points Shogun about how Hate speech would just be driven underground.

Thank you for the personal story and you do raise a great point.

Hate is an Idea, and Ideas are bulletproof. (Yes, that is from V for Vendetta)

I never said Hitler lived in this country or wasn't German.

I was giving a example of how Hate Speech helped lead to Genocide.

I'm not a dope and telling me to STFU? How immature of you.

Actually add something to the convo why don't you other then just petty insults?
GO back and read your own post and get back to me. Dope.

GO back and read your own post and get back to me. Dope.

Ok my mistake, I made a typo I had originally missed.

Feel free to be Grammar Police but I think we all rather have you join the convo and add your input to the actual subject. Rather then just insults.

I actually put this instead of their. How dare I?! I guess I should go jump off a bridge now huh Del?

Ok my mistake, I made a typo I had originally missed.

Feel free to be Grammar Police but I think we all rather have you join the convo and add your input to the actual subject. Rather then just insults.

I actually put this instead of their. How dare I?! I guess I should go jump off a bridge now huh Del?
no, you'd just miss the ground.

from the last time they came to town. it was pretty lame actually.

[youtube]Mzs5E2cusXM[/youtube]

It should be allowed by law, but mocked and shamed by society.

I'll demonstrate:

Can you guys believe that racist dickhead who said hate speech was just "white people speaking the truth"?

and then I say---"You're an asshole for calling someone a dickhead." Pretty harmless really.

Well I know it's a law now that when the KKK protests,etc that they can't have their hoods on.

I noticed the obvious when that happened, several people stopped being in the KKK and just took their hate back underground. Since they didn't have a symbol and hood to hide behind.

Well I know it's a law now that when the KKK protests,etc that they can't have their hoods on.

I noticed the obvious when that happened, several people stopped being in the KKK and just took their hate back underground. Since they didn't have a symbol and hood to hide behind.

Who needs a hood when you've got the internet ?

Who needs a hood when you've got the internet ?

So very true. On some sites you don't even need to register any real information (or you can just fake said information).

Hate groups probably use the internet as a recruiting tool now more then ever.

Forum List

Back