Do You Fear the Consequence(s) of Sedition?

Do You Fear the Consequence(s) of Sedition?

• Yes

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Never considered it

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

Swagger

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2011
Up on the scaffold
se·di·tion (s -d sh n). n. 1. Conduct or language inciting rebellion against the authority of a state. 2. Insurrection; rebellion.

Foxfyre opened her Rebellion thread with a disclaimer clearly outlining her OP's hypothetical nature, to, I'm assuming, potentially counter or dissuade a reader with judicial or federal authority launching proceedings against a percieved threat contained within the OP. Would you take similar precautions should you submit a similar or identical OP for public scrutiny, considering state agents may take an interest? It's common knowledge they search and filter the web looking for leads.

Personally, I doubt anything I've written on here qualifies as a threat. Nor do I believe any of my online activities have been cause for concern among the security services.

se·di·tion (s -d sh n). n. 1. Conduct or language inciting rebellion against the authority of a state. 2. Insurrection; rebellion.

Foxfyre opened her Rebellion thread with a disclaimer clearly outlining her OP's hypothetical nature, to, I'm assuming, potentially counter or dissuade a reader with judicial or federal authority launching proceedings against a percieved threat contained within the OP. Would you take similar precautions should you submit a similar or identical OP for public scrutiny, considering state agents may take an interest? It's common knowledge they search and filter the web looking for leads.

Personally, I doubt anything I've written on here qualifies as a threat. Nor do I believe any of my online activities have been cause for concern among the security services.

A strange, strange question....................

Actually I'm much more concerned about the government's failure to prosecute the deserving.

At this point, I have no fear of anything that I say. I still believe we have some freedoms, speech being paramount of them.

A strange, strange question....................

Why? Do you refute the idea that government agents monitor and filter the internet searching for leads and threats? Even the press do it.

Another general and very vague question. It is like asking me if I like kids.

The only answer can be "Show me the kid"!

I answered her thread.

As for sedition, I would like to hope we are not quite there yet in the United States as far as prosecuting people for sedition.

I'm very cognizant of what I post so I don't trigger some minor gov't functionary to ask for an unmarked black van to be dispatched to my residence under the auspices of the Bush admin-drafted *cough* "patriot act :barf: Does your country have as drastic Orwellian, anti-terra laws like the U.S. does?

I'm very cognizant of what I post so I don't trigger some minor gov't functionary to ask for an unmarked black van to be dispatched to my residence under the auspices of the Bush admin-drafted *cough* "patriot act :barf: Does your country have as drastic Orwellian, anti-terra laws like the U.S. does?

It's beyond that.

Yup. Not to mention GCHQ. Government Communications Headquarters - Wikipedia

I may be paranoid, but I have no doubt that the Government keeps tabs on everyone's online activities, financial transactions, etc. They probably know more about you than you know yourself, or would be able to data-mine such at the push of a button. I have no doubt they could use this against anyone posing a threat to the established order.

Foxfyre just had a similar thread a few weeks ago regarding a so called "divorce" where the right wing would garner all of America except the West coast states. She seems to fantasize a great deal about rebellion, secession, and sedition. One has to wonder why people like this remain in the country if they are so dissatisfied with it they would go to these extremes. Sort of like those Hollywood actors claiming they would move if Bush was re-elected.

I may be paranoid, but I have no doubt that the Government keeps tabs on everyone's online activities, financial transactions, etc. They probably know more about you than you know yourself, or would be able to data-mine such at the push of a button. I have no doubt they could use this against anyone posing a threat to the established order.

Foxfyre just had a similar thread a few weeks ago regarding a so called "divorce" where the right wing would garner all of America except the West coast states. She seems to fantasize a great deal about rebellion, secession, and sedition. One has to wonder why people like this remain in the country if they are so dissatisfied with it they would go to these extremes. Sort of like those Hollywood actors claiming they would move if Bush was re-elected.

I agree that western governments have enabled themselves to intrude into and log our movements, and that if they wanted to they could use this information against us.

Though I find your comment One has to wonder why people like this remain in the country if they are so dissatisfied with it they would go to these extremes rather counterproductive. For instance, if the Founding Fathers of the United States were that meek, departed for new pastures and thus didn't take-up arms against Great Britain, your country would've remained firmly under the yoke of empire. In short, it's unlikely it would resemble the America you're familiar with today. Besides, what's wrong with fantasising - or hypothesising, rather - over alternatives borne out of rebellion, secession and sedition?

It wasn't a 'rebellion' thread. It was a 'revolution' thread which is quite different. :)

But yes, there was a time I would not have started that thread on the internet. Back when we were running our business and making a lot more money and our taxes were fairly complicated, I tried to be as above board and honest as possible, but I wouldn't want the aggravation of an IRS audit just the same. (We had two of those as it was and while we didn't owe any more taxes, they were a pain in the butt.)

But you do read stories of people who are getting quite a bit of national attention in a public point of view also getting quite a bit more government attention with IRS audits, finding 'accidental' snags with the no fly list, and such.

I no longer believe some of my elected leaders are above using the power of government to harrass, make life difficult for, and silence those who oppose them.

I agree that western governments have enabled themselves to intrude into and log our movements, and that if they wanted to they could use this information against us.

Though I find your comment One has to wonder why people like this remain in the country if they are so dissatisfied with it they would go to these extremes rather counterproductive. For instance, if the Founding Fathers of the United States were that meek, departed for new pastures and thus didn't take-up arms against Great Britain, your country would've remained firmly under the yoke of empire. In short, it's unlikely it would resemble the America you're familiar with today. Besides, what's wrong with fantasising - or hypothesising, rather - over alternatives borne out of rebellion, secession and sedition?

I suppose there's no harm in hypothesizing or speculating on these matters. When it comes to outright inciting these things is where it would become dangerous and the secret police would be out after you. I was extremely dissatisfied with the government during the Bush administration, but insurrection or revolution never even entered my thoughts. I would prefer "revolution" to occur at the ballot box, not at the end of a gun.

Yup. Not to mention GCHQ. Government Communications Headquarters - Wikipedia

:ack-1: looks like its over for us :cheers2: :eusa_boohoo:

thangod this was retired (or so we're told):

FBI retires its Carnivore
Kevin Poulsen, SecurityFocus 2005-01-14
FBI surveillance experts have put their once-controversial Carnivore Internet surveillance tool out to pasture, preferring instead to use commercial products to eavesdrop on network traffic, according to documents released Friday.

carnivorelogo.jpg

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back