Do you fear God?

Amanda

Calm as a Hindu cow
Nov 28, 2008
I hear people talking about fearing God and I don't think I understand why. I don't fear God, I trust God to do what is right for me. Sometimes I need lessons that aren't very pleasant, but I don't fear them or God for giving them to me. So I'm wondering if there's some way to take the phrase that I'm not understanding.

Atheists and other non-believers I would really appreciate it if you could not derail the thread, I really want to hear what other believers think without the usual flaming that accompanies "religious" threads.

non believes in your god?

no i do not fear my goddess...she is my mentor and strength....life is riddled with trials and errors....i really dont believe there is some one diety up there guiding it all.....

Anyone clever enough can justify virtually any act. Lying, cheating, rape, robbery, torture , murder. Every one of these acts is being perpetrated with government sanction somewhere in the world this very minute.

Not only can we not rely on the force of government to stop these acts, often it is the government encouraging them.

To know and believe the Word of God is to understand that there is an absolute right and wrong. No matter the justifications that men accept as valid, before God, no man is justified.

The fear of God puts an inner check on the actions of men. Actions that both our culture and our government often encourage.

Last edited:
I hear people talking about fearing God and I don't think I understand why. I don't fear God, I trust God to do what is right for me. Sometimes I need lessons that aren't very pleasant, but I don't fear them or God for giving them to me. So I'm wondering if there's some way to take the phrase that I'm not understanding.

Atheists and other non-believers I would really appreciate it if you could not derail the thread, I really want to hear what other believers think without the usual flaming that accompanies "religious" threads.

Fear of God does not mean fear like from a gun, but rather to give respect and to appreciate his power.

Fear of God does not mean fear like from a gun, but rather to give respect and to appreciate his power.

You know.......I saw this in a Torah study lesson once. Fear of God basically means being scared of going against His Law (The Torah), because doing so results in death.

Think about it.........the 10 Commandments basically state 2 things.....remember who God is (the first 3) and the others are there to keep you from getting murdered (Commandment 4 is "Thou shalt not murder".)

The rest of them are to keep you from putting yourself in a place to be murdered. If you commit adultry, someone will kill you. If you lie, same deal. Don't honor your parents? You may be murdered.

But, once you understand the rules (don't murder, remember who God is), the rest is simple.

One time, a friend of mine stated that the do nots are there to tell you what not to do. What do you do then? Everything else.

I really feel that more people should talk to a rabbi every now and again to see this.

If we all fear Gunny, maybe he thinks he's god!

You guys don't need to fear god, He invented Satan and homos for that.

I'm mystified by God... I fear some things of the unknown as many people in this world do... I fear death, if only for the unknown aspect and the fact of not being with my kids... but I really don't know if I can say that I truly 'fear' God and what I believe about God in terms of his interaction with us as individuals....

I've been in the "foxhole" (i.e., been confronted with the real possibility of death) before, it had very little impact on my religious beliefs.

DiamondDave, c'mon you're an army vet, you never shot at the towelheads thinking :" here, take some of these back to allah".

I fear NOTHING!

... except the Gunny .... *shudder*

Actually, I'm a bit nervous around Gunny myself.

Funny you should say that... I'm a little skeered of him myself... :eusa_shifty:

Fear God? No. I'm not afraid of what I can't see and can't touch. OTOH, other than Gunny :)eusa_shifty:), there really isn't anything in life that scares me.. I just sorta take shit as it's dumped on me, and deal with it. No sense worrying about the unknown.

DiamondDave, c'mon you're an army vet, you never shot at the towelheads thinking :" here, take some of these back to allah".

Nope...

I was thinking where's my target??.. Where's my next target??.. What's on my flank,?.. Where's the rest of my squad??.. Make it count... Where's my fallback area??.. Where's my next ammo clip??.. etc

Exactly, thinking about suoerflous stuff like religion is not conclusive to an average persons efficiency in shooting people in a coordinated fashion or performing other complicated stuff.

However, people think about religion a lot when they are getting shot at with no means of retaliation.

Forum List

Back