Do You Dare Take the Civics Literacy Test?

True. I was using shorthand. IMO the "correct" answers economically on the quiz are those most often advanced by the right, or conservatives, if you like. But you are are correct, they are debated between the various economic schools. Although as I explained in an earlier post, the final answer had both Keynesian and Supply-side components.

Thank God there's at least one person here who has a clue what I was trying to say.

It's lonely at the top, isn't it?

Thank God there's at least one person here who has a clue what I was trying to say.

It's lonely at the top, isn't it?

I've questioned the folks who wrote the test on that last question. So because you think one question was a little off, the whole test is biased?

I've questioned the folks who wrote the test on that last question. So because you think one question was a little off, the whole test is biased?

ACtually I think at least three questions are inappropriate to the stated purpose of this test.

So yes, I do think the test is biased.

There are just enough real questions in it, that an unwary educator might really think it's a valid civics test to give to their kids.

So what appears at first blush to be a test of people's understanding of civics and history is in fact really neo-con propaganda.

Questions regarding economic are NOT civics questions for example.

Questions invo;ving moral issues about sin, are NOT civics questions, either.

This so called test is NOT what it pretends to be.

Last edited:
I suspect that those who graduated earlier will do better than recent graduates, based on the deterioration of our eduational system.

After you take it, if you wish I'll tell you my score.

Civic Literacy Report - Civics Quiz

From Canada I may have had a slight disadvantage... but 78.79 %!

However, some of the questions were a bit loose:

27) Free markets typically secure more economic prosperity than government’s centralized planning because:

One would have to agree with that concept, and then determine how those who framed the question would feel...

30) Which of the following fiscal policy combinations would a government most likely follow to stimulate economic activity when the economy is in a severe recession?

Determining what a gov would 'likely' do may be more a matter of personal policy idealogy than knowledge... or do they mean the Bush administration, or a different one?

Anyhow, fun stuff.

I fundamentally associate my thinking more with Locke than Hobbes, so that's really not top of mind for me. I'm also Pagan and not Christian, so that puts me farther away from that point of view.

What part of the test required a Christian point of view?

Hobbes and Locke both reflect a time and place. Hobbes formative years were of the end of Medieval times, Locke a bit later. Where one was looking for salvation from an authority, one had faith in such.

Hey, I got 87.88% correct. Missed 4. Not too shabby for a HS grad GI.
(just a little bragging)

These days, almost anybody can get into college. A college degree doesn't necessarily mean you got a decent education. Congratulations on how well you did.

These days, almost anybody can get into college. A college degree doesn't necessarily mean you got a decent education. Congratulations on how well you did.

These days, a lot of kids graduate from high school with really good grades, get into college, and then have to take remedial courses to learn all the stuff they were SUPPOSED to have learned in high school. This is apparently a source of great consternation to the colleges.

These days, a lot of kids graduate from high school with really good grades, get into college, and then have to take remedial courses to learn all the stuff they were SUPPOSED to have learned in high school. This is apparently a source of great consternation to the colleges.

I guess grades don't mean anything either. And with the SAT format and content being changed since I took it many moons ago, how can anyone legitamately determine who is ready for college and who is not?

I guess grades don't mean anything either. And with the SAT format and content being changed since I took it many moons ago, how can anyone legitamately determine who is ready for college and who is not?

my guess is that less than 1/4 of today's graduates are 'ready' for college as those in the 70's or 80's. Why? Self-esteem and new math/reading parameters. They don't know how to think.

I'm not going to post my results, I already knew I wasn't very smart.

It's not 'your' being smart, it's your education. Trust me on this. It's what I teach.

Well whatever it is I wasn't a good student. I kinda hoped that I'd take the test and be surprised... not so much. I'm going to keep taking it until I can get 100% though.

Your teachers should have been better.

No, I can't blame my teachers I think they did the best they could. School was always kinda hard for me and I didn't get good grades no matter how hard I tried so I guess I quit trying. I've been told it's a good thing I'm sweet because I'm not very bright, so I try to play to my strength. :tongue:

No, I can't blame my teachers I think they did the best they could. School was always kinda hard for me and I didn't get good grades no matter how hard I tried so I guess I quit trying. I've been told it's a good thing I'm sweet because I'm not very bright, so I try to play to my strength. :tongue:

You're 18 or 19 right? Let me tell you some hard facts. You must change your picture of yourself if you hope to get through college. First off, get an education.

You said you didn't want to go to community college. Right? It may be the best place for you, before the university. You need to get the basics, more than civics. Somewhere you lost the thread of education, may or may not be your fault. but if you wish to succeed, you need to pick it up and run with it.

I got 31 of 33, but still fail to see how the economics portion had anything to do with civics.

It doesn't. However the questions and 'correct answers' were geared towards today's econ bias. Not right or wrong, but what's being taught.

Forum List

Back