Do You Dare Take the Civics Literacy Test?

This test started out asking questions with clearly correct answers.

Then the biases of the designers started manifesting in some of the questions, folks.

When it comes to things economic?

Those answers to those questions are all debateable.

They were trick questions or rather, tricky answers....they took me the longest to answer, and i did such by the process of elimination....i didn't necessarily even agree with my answers, that ended up being "right", i just eliminated (after reading them a hundred times over, out loud and silently :D) the ones that i knew were not true....

And on some of the financials like what is "profit" and stuff, i was at an advantaged because of my lifelong career of working with numbers and profitability.

care

You can tell by the structure of the questions, and the lack of credible answers that the purpose of the test was political, and not educational.

You answered 28 out of 33 correctly — 84.85 %

Average score for this quiz during November: 77.2%
Average score since November 20, 2008: 77.2%

And that as a German who never was in the US, well, I could figure out enough by question structure and guessing the political orientation of the test makers.

Question #33 seems to have been a pretty consistent trip-up for our little gang. 'D' is correct and it still doesn't make sense to me as to why...

33) If taxes equal government spending, then:
A. government debt is zero
B. printing money no longer causes inflation
C. government is not helping anybody
D. tax per person equals government spending per person
E. tax loopholes and special-interest spending are absent

I answered 'A' incorrectly... Anyone else?

-Joe

Well, if you income in a year equals your spending, then you are not creating new debts. However, you can have older debts so a is not neccesarly true.

You answered 29 out of 33 correctly — 87.88 %

Average score for this quiz during November: 77.6%
Average score: 77.6%

For question 5 I WANTED to answer E. Just wishful thinking. As for question 33, if they did not spend more that they took in there should be no debt. Kinda trickey if you have to look at all the years and guess they have not been keeping the budget.

87.88%

The stupid economic stimulus question : I answered what the government should do, not what it would likely do. Reduce taxes and spending, the economy goes crazy and people find that they don't really need much government. Reduce taxes and increase spending, the economy improves, but then you have a lot of public debt and tyranny to clean up afterwards.

This test started out asking questions with clearly correct answers.

Then the biases of the designers started manifesting in some of the questions, folks.

When it comes to things economic?

Those anwers to those questions are all debateable.

Could it be possible that you have a very flawed concept of economics?

Nah, couldnt be...

You answered 31 out of 33 correctly — 93.94 %

I knew what they were asking for on those two economic questions, but I thought they were wrong, and I still do.

It's never a good idea to increase government spending to "help the economy". You increase government spending if there's a valid reason the government needs to do something, and that's all.

The last one is badly worded, because it makes it sound as though the government would actually be taxing each person and spending equally on each person. I'm pretty sure they were referring to an average per person, but that's not what the question said.

Could it be possible that you have a very flawed concept of economics?

Nah, couldnt be...

AS opposed to the economists running ours today, you mean?

I suppose I might be marching to the beat of a reality-based drummer, yes.

Unlike the idealogues who have, just in case you have yet to notice, turned the most productive, wealthiest creditor nation in the world into the biggest debtor nation in human history... and all that in less than half my lifetime, too

Yes, I suppose my views on economics must be very flawed.

Where I went astray, I suspect, is that I have always presumed that a nation that created an economic environment -- an environment where working people could find work and make a living -- was the goal of having a country to begin with.

My views on things economic and governance of same are clearly not on the same page of the folks running our nation (into the ground) now.

That's for damned sure, Kid.

Last edited:
30 out of 33.

I confused the Quakers with the Puritans and missed 31 and 33 in the economics section.

Seems like I wasn't the only one.

Cool link. :thup:

30 out of 33.

I confused the Quakers with the Puritans and missed 31 and 33 in the economics section.

Seems like I wasn't the only one.

Cool link. :thup:

Good job. I think I'll contact the group who put out the test and ask them about question #33. Either the question wasn't clear or they are just plain wrong about the answer. I have a background in economics and the answer they say is correct doesn't make sense.

Forum List

Back