Do you celebrate "Martin Luther King's" day?

archangel said:
LuvRPgrl said:
I did not write the articles...and you chose to post and comment on links that I did not use as examples....sure there were some off the cuff links at the site posted, that you are referring too,however I did not use them...Just one article with sources cited! I then gave other links to substaniate the original article posted...you and NATO went off not me!And this has nothing to do with a multicultural society...Just one man...MLK...who may have did some good...but the overall view was the issue...plagerism and affiliation with the Communist Party,USA and his womanizing!
You, Dillo, Merlin, and Screaming Eagle should go have a party somewhere. :lalala::lalala::lalala::lalala::lalala:

Said1 said:
Actually, the articles sited by Garrow in the original link posted by AA were quite good. I'd question King's literacy and the fact that professors approved of his work, while knowing full well it was copied. The author metions his ability to memorize large volumes of material needed for sermons, however those who can not read are often able to do just that. It's an interesting point. The author also does not discredit King's mission and role in the civil rights movement, nor does make far reaching excuses for his behavior.

and thats all I was trying to get across...that MLK is a fraud and not the Saint some want to believe..thats all...and I apologize for the "Communist" comment about you...I was irritated at two others and inapropriately hit you with it! :eek:

archangel said:
and thats all I was trying to get across...that MLK is a fraud and not the Saint some want to believe..thats all...and I apologize for the "Communist" comment about you...I was irritated at two others and inapropriately hit you with it! :eek:

I don't think he's a total fraud, although I don't think he should have been accredited with a phd if the palagerism is so evident. His ability to orate and inspire people to be better speaks for itself and that's what he essentially was - an orator and motivational speaker who inspired others to be better and do better. Is that so bad?

One of my all time favorite sayings (one that he copied I might add - the original source is unknown) said in one of his speaches goes something like this "We ain't what we ought to be. We ain't what we could be. We ain't what we gonna be, but thank God we ain't what we were".

I have a dream---I want every sucker in the whole wide world to be happy----lets start with white people. I swear the rest will get a turn when the whites are all satisfied. :rock:

"judge a man by the content of his character, not the color of his skin"

--he was a thief
--he was a pinko commie
--he was a whoremonger

There appears to be enough historical evidence to assert that these accusations are true, despite Clay's empty insistence that one should not read or listen to certain people--- despite their sourced facts.

Just as MLK advises, I'm judging MLK by the "content of his character" and I find him lacking and not particularly deserving of an individually named national holiday --- especially when NO OTHER historical leader has a national holiday named after them, such as George Washington, whose character is above reproach and who is much more important to the history of our country.

Maybe that's a little too NON-PC for some. :gives:

ScreamingEagle said:
"judge a man by the content of his character, not the color of his skin"

--he was a thief
--he was a pinko commie
--he was a whoremonger

There appears to be enough historical evidence to assert that these accusations are true, despite Clay's empty insistence that one should not read or listen to certain people--- despite their sourced facts.

Just as MLK advises, I'm judging MLK by the "content of his character" and I find him lacking and not particularly deserving of an individually named national holiday --- especially when NO OTHER historical leader has a national holiday named after them, such as George Washington, whose character is above reproach and who is much more important to the history of our country.

Maybe that's a little too NON-PC for some. :gives:
He was a thief of words, at most.

He wasn't a commie. People out to get him labeled him such because he associated with suspected communists.

And whoremonger is, at best, an exaggeration of the truth. Honestly, read a book.

Columbus still has his own day, and federal statute still proclaims that President's day really is Washington's Birthday.

I don't mind arguing with you, but I won't let you throw around Nazi propaganda as some sort of respectable resource. If you want to suggest that MLK day be rolled into some sort of all-encompassing Patriot Day, fine. We can agree on that.

The ClayTaurus said:
He was a thief of words, at most.

He wasn't a commie. People out to get him labeled him such because he associated with suspected communists.

And whoremonger is, at best, an exaggeration of the truth. Honestly, read a book.

Columbus still has his own day, and federal statute still proclaims that President's day really is Washington's Birthday.

I don't mind arguing with you, but I won't let you throw around Nazi propaganda as some sort of respectable resource. If you want to suggest that MLK day be rolled into some sort of all-encompassing Patriot Day, fine. We can agree on that.

A thief is a thief. (Just like a typical lib to mitigate a crime.)

Not to mention that he evidently copyrighted much of his stolen stuff and made millions off it.

Evidently he wasn't a member of the Communist Party. That's why I called him a pinko...he was into Marxism but not exactly a full red.

Where there's smoke, there's usually fire. You or I cannot prove who he slept with. However, the reports are certainly indicative that he was an adulterer. That's not exactly a man of good character...

OK, I'll give you Columbus Day. Guess the PC liberals didn't want to offend their Euro buddies by getting rid of that one.

Despite the statute that says it's "officially" Washington's birthday, it now is no longer called "George Washington's Birthday" or "Abraham Lincoln's Birthday". The children in school are only hearing "President's Day" and "Martin Luthur King's Birthday". Can't offend a black man, but we can slight our most famous Presidents. :mad:

"Nazi propaganda"? What a liberal suck-up. You've been given plenty of referenced sources here but you refute them with empty words and liberal censure. And for your information, I'll take the word of Dr. Savage (he actually earned his doctorate) any day over the likes of you and your liberal counterparts.

:banana2:

ScreamingEagle said:

Not to mention that he evidently copyrighted much of his stolen stuff and made millions off it.

Evidently he wasn't a member of the Communist Party. That's why I called him a pinko...he was into Marxism but not exactly a full red.

Where there's smoke, there's usually fire. You or I cannot prove who he slept with. However, the reports are certainly indicative that he was an adulterer. That's not exactly a man of good character...

OK, I'll give you Columbus Day. Guess the PC liberals didn't want to offend their Euro buddies by getting rid of that one.

Despite the statute that says it's "officially" Washington's birthday, it now is no longer called "George Washington's Birthday" or "Abraham Lincoln's Birthday". The children in school are only hearing "President's Day" and "Martin Luthur King's Birthday". Can't offend a black man, but we can slight our most famous Presidents. :mad:

"Nazi propaganda"? What a liberal suck-up. You've been given plenty of referenced sources here but you refute them with empty words and liberal censure. And for your information, I'll take the word of Dr. Savage (he actually earned his doctorate) any day over the likes of you and your liberal counterparts.

Clay is a playa...he goes with whomever and whatever...to say a point man...along the lines of the character Jerry McGuire...he has not a original thought of his own...just repeats the mantra of the moment!...carry on Scream!

ScreamingEagle said:

Let's review the sources:
Diatribe written by a Nazi and conspiracy theorist.
Regurgitation of those talking points on a message board.
Some FBI links that were entirely too lengthy to assume anyone actually read through all 200 pages. I doubt Arch read through them, otherwise he could have easily called out which pages were relevant.

You're validating what's written by the Nazi because his sources are legitimate. You fail to understand that legitmate sources can be illegitimately referenced.

MLK did not write every word of every speech he gave, but it was hardly close to the majority of what he wrote. There were questions to his literacy, but no question to his oratory skill. He's no more communist than the hundreds of other people liberally labled communist in that time period. Disagree? You're a commie! Hoover was on a duck hunt.

His close associate admitted to him being an adulterer, but it has been exaggerated and flat out lies have been thrown in to vilify him to a completely unwarranted degree.

You and Dr. Savage have no interest in seeing how hard Hoover and others have to stretch to paint MLK as a horrible human being. At this point, I don't much care; think whatever you want. Have a nice life.

archangel said:
Clay is a playa...he goes with whomever and whatever...to say a point man...along the lines of the character Jerry McGuire...he has not a original thought of his own...just repeats the mantra of the moment!...carry on Scream!
This moment's mantra: you're a fucking idiot.

ScreamingEagle said:

You think Im a liberal suck up?

Sorry, plagerism is not stealing. When you steal something, you dont return it. Since the original writings that he copied were still in the possesion of the owner, no actual theft occured, thats why they label it plagerism, not theft.

Besides, its quite irrelevant unless his holiday was based on him getting a PHD, which it isnt. Its based on the fact that he changed America in a HUGE way, making it more than significantly better for millions of people, taking them out of a subclass and creating equal rights.

As for his womanizing, its being proven by FBI files is suspect at best. Hoover was out to get him. I wouldnt doubt in the slightest if they planted evidence, and as for his friends book, he needs to make it interesting writing to sell books, so if the FBI told him they had such info, then Im sure he would go along with it, considering MLK was dead at the time, he would have figured it would do MLK no harm.

I used direct quotes that were inaccurate from the Nazi link provided by one poster. I went to another link provided by his link to either prove or disprove the COMMENTS MADE IN HIS LINK. I was challenging the statements in HIS LINK, not another link provided by his source.

MLK made enough change in America to warrant a holiday. unless he did some really, really gross activities, say, murder, then nothing he did will negate it. MLK day is good for young blacks to give them some confidence. They sorely need it.

The way they have been treated, they deserve it. Now, I dont believe in reparations, and I also think they have plenty of opportunity to succeed, but I also believe that the sub culture is/was greatly shaped by the centuries of bellittlement and suppresion. That wont change overnight. THe reason I oppose affirmative action to pull them out of the hole we put them in, is because it is at the cost of another American, and that aint right.

Having an MLK day isnt taking anything from anybody.

Where there is smoke, there is fire???? Thats your standard for judging someone? Sorry, not in my America.

As for his communist affiliation, the evidence is weak. He had people in his party that may have been communists, but that doesnt make him affiliated with the group. If one can show where he actively went to communist meetings regularly, and/or financed communist ideas and movements, then you could accuse him of affiliation. It would be inevitable in such a struggle that some of your people would be communists. One couldnt excuse them from their posistion in his org. just for that.

I do believe that there are some white supremists in the Republican party. If I were to run for office, Im sure some of the people in my org. woulld have ties to a white supremist group. But to say I am affiliated with white supremists would be like calling Sudan a good choice for the human righs commision at the UN

LuvRPgrl said:
You think Im a liberal suck up?

Sorry, plagerism is not stealing. When you steal something, you dont return it. Since the original writings that he copied were still in the possesion of the owner, no actual theft occured, thats why they label it plagerism, not theft.

Besides, its quite irrelevant unless his holiday was based on him getting a PHD, which it isnt. Its based on the fact that he changed America in a HUGE way, making it more than significantly better for millions of people, taking them out of a subclass and creating equal rights.

As for his womanizing, its being proven by FBI files is suspect at best. Hoover was out to get him. I wouldnt doubt in the slightest if they planted evidence, and as for his friends book, he needs to make it interesting writing to sell books, so if the FBI told him they had such info, then Im sure he would go along with it, considering MLK was dead at the time, he would have figured it would do MLK no harm.

I used direct quotes that were inaccurate from the Nazi link provided by one poster. I went to another link provided by his link to either prove or disprove the COMMENTS MADE IN HIS LINK. I was challenging the statements in HIS LINK, not another link provided by his source.

MLK made enough change in America to warrant a holiday. unless he did some really, really gross activities, say, murder, then nothing he did will negate it. MLK day is good for young blacks to give them some confidence. They sorely need it.

The way they have been treated, they deserve it. Now, I dont believe in reparations, and I also think they have plenty of opportunity to succeed, but I also believe that the sub culture is/was greatly shaped by the centuries of bellittlement and suppresion. That wont change overnight. THe reason I oppose affirmative action to pull them out of the hole we put them in, is because it is at the cost of another American, and that aint right.

Having an MLK day isnt taking anything from anybody.

Where there is smoke, there is fire???? Thats your standard for judging someone? Sorry, not in my America.

As for his communist affiliation, the evidence is weak. He had people in his party that may have been communists, but that doesnt make him affiliated with the group. If one can show where he actively went to communist meetings regularly, and/or financed communist ideas and movements, then you could accuse him of affiliation. It would be inevitable in such a struggle that some of your people would be communists. One couldnt excuse them from their posistion in his org. just for that.

I do believe that there are some white supremists in the Republican party. If I were to run for office, Im sure some of the people in my org. woulld have ties to a white supremist group. But to say I am affiliated with white supremists would be like calling Sudan a good choice for the human righs commision at the UN

You are entitled to your own opinions as I am mine. Abraham Lincoln also changed America in a HUGE way but we don't specifically celebrate "Abraham Lincoln's Birthday" anymore. That's unfair as I believe Abe Lincoln was a MUCH more important historical figure than MLK and is deserving of his OWN birthday celebration just like MLK. Sadly, liberal forces are redefining historical traditions of our country.

However, there is one thing that we should make clear. Plagiarism IS a form of theft. According to Webster's it is defined as "to take (ideas, writings, etc.) from (another) and pass them off as one's own". I don't know where you get your morals from, but in my book that's a form of STEALING.

ScreamingEagle said:
You are entitled to your own opinions as I am mine. Abraham Lincoln also changed America in a HUGE way but we don't specifically celebrate "Abraham Lincoln's Birthday" anymore. That's unfair as I believe Abe Lincoln was a MUCH more important historical figure than MLK and is deserving of his OWN birthday celebration just like MLK. Sadly, liberal forces are redefining historical traditions of our country.

However, there is one thing that we should make clear. Plagiarism IS a form of theft. According to Webster's it is defined as "to take (ideas, writings, etc.) from (another) and pass them off as one's own". I don't know where you get your morals from, but in my book that's a form of STEALING.

So, you agree then that taxation beyond the absolutely positively necessary functions of govt, is stealing?

Lincolns Bday is celebrated, as another poster noted, its still in his name as one of two presidents for pres's day.

To be honest, holidays in general are more and more just a day or week or two off for people, with no real celebrating of the original intent.

Forum List

Back