Do you carry a knife for self defense?

Today it was two 8 inches and one six inch.....

Sometimes its 20 at a time...depending on the needs.

:eusa_whistle:

I don't carry a defensive knife because I don't feel I need to. But if I did I would choose one with a 3-1/2" (legal) razor sharp blade with a one-hand opening feature and I wouldn't think of using it unless I was attacked and felt seriously threatened.

I don't carry a defensive knife because I don't feel I need to. But if I did I would choose one with a 3-1/2" (legal) razor sharp blade with a one-hand opening feature and I wouldn't think of using it unless I was attacked and felt seriously threatened.

The problem with this is if you ever needed a knife, all of a sudden felt you need it to defend yourself, you would get hurt unless you knew how to use it. You have to practice to be able to use it has a defensive weapon. I suggest get one and practice with it.

The problem with this is if you ever needed a knife, all of a sudden felt you need it to defend yourself, you would get hurt unless you knew how to use it. You have to practice to be able to use it has a defensive weapon. I suggest get one and practice with it.

The problem is too many people think it is for waving around and intimidating like in the movies. That crap will land you in a lot of trouble. If you have one and you have to use it you have to understand what that means and no one should know you have it until you've used it (and are then prepared for the consequences).

Just curious what people's thoughts on this are.

If you carry a gun instead, that's a whole other issue and getting into a big discussion about it here probably isn't worth anybody's time other than a "no, I carry a gun".

Me personally, I think it's a good way to escalate a situation and get yourself severely injured and or killed when you otherwise probably wouldn't have.

There is no such thing as a knife "fight".

The only reason I bring it up is because I just tucked a pocket knife away into my new bag I got to carry my lunch/water and other items to and from work. Strictly utility. I also have a small key chain box cutter that I use while actually working since I break down boxes and cut plastic so frequently. I was just curious how misinformed people are about the wisdom of carrying a knife for self defense.

I used to always. Living in NYC I don't. It would be a Crime here to defend your life with a knife. It's a crime to even carry one. It is a crime here to defend you life with pretty much anything that can be categorized as a weapon, a rock, a stick, a garbage can cover. It's all about who you know, how much harm you cause defending your life, who the Perpetrator is related to, or where he/she may be from. ;)

No. A knife is a stupid weapon for defense. It is fair to midlin as an offensive weapon if you are VERY quiet.

For DEFENSE I like the aluminum McGreggor baseball bat. Good reach.. effective. almost indestructable.. Don't have to get too close to an adversary. Some of them have stinky breath.

But of course my favorite weapon for defense is my two pit bulls. Quite..fearless..it's like having thinking knives and hatchets on a leash. Plus they are REAL effective at longer range.. just let em run. No human can out run em. If they get shot at and not killed the perp will lose his arm at the wrist...and probably a leg. They really like going for the legs. The small one, a 70lb female will just slice and dice ya..the big male 120 lbs can crush a grown mans leg with one bite.

Oh ya..we were talkin DEFENSE...sorry ..I got carried away.. :lol:

The problem is too many people think it is for waving around and intimidating like in the movies. That crap will land you in a lot of trouble. If you have one and you have to use it you have to understand what that means and no one should know you have it until you've used it (and are then prepared for the consequences).

You better be damn sure you are justified when you pull a knife and you use it. I can have my knife out of my pocket and open and in the ready in less than a second. Those spring assist knives are a god send.

Just curious what people's thoughts on this are.

If you carry a gun instead, that's a whole other issue and getting into a big discussion about it here probably isn't worth anybody's time other than a "no, I carry a gun".

Me personally, I think it's a good way to escalate a situation and get yourself severely injured and or killed when you otherwise probably wouldn't have.

There is no such thing as a knife "fight".

The only reason I bring it up is because I just tucked a pocket knife away into my new bag I got to carry my lunch/water and other items to and from work. Strictly utility. I also have a small key chain box cutter that I use while actually working since I break down boxes and cut plastic so frequently. I was just curious how misinformed people are about the wisdom of carrying a knife for self defense.

:lol:

I have a knife - it's not for self protection, it's because sometimes I need a knife.

I hardly ever carry my gun because I live in a community where I don't feel I have to..

Besides, knives aren't very scary.... We see them everyday in our kitchens...

Last edited by a moderator:

No. A knife is a stupid weapon for defense. It is fair to midlin as an offensive weapon if you are VERY quiet.

For DEFENSE I like the aluminum McGreggor baseball bat. Good reach.. effective. almost indestructable.. Don't have to get too close to an adversary. Some of them have stinky breath.

But of course my favorite weapon for defense is my two pit bulls. Quite..fearless..it's like having thinking knives and hatchets on a leash. Plus they are REAL effective at longer range.. just let em run. No human can out run em. If they get shot at and not killed the perp will lose his arm at the wrist...and probably a leg. They really like going for the legs. The small one, a 70lb female will just slice and dice ya..the big male 120 lbs can crush a grown mans leg with one bite.

Hell huggy I carry a mini mag flash lite on my keys it's the size of a kubaton you would be amazed what you can do with that as a defensive weapon.

If I had to choose between a personal defense weapon, I'd choose a collapsible baton. Too bad they're typically illegal. You could do far more damage with that than you can with a knife, and still remain completely non lethal if you have to be.

Knives can be very unpredictable, especially when trying to slash somebody wearing clothing.

Hell huggy I carry a mini mag flash lite on my keys it's the size of a kubaton you would be amazed what you can do with that as a defensive weapon.

I have two full size mags for when I have to do a search of the grounds at night. They are a little over two feet long. THEY are amazingly tough. I've smacked acouple of guys with them.. Never cracked the lens or anything. A mini mag??? you mean that six inch little flashlight? Whadaya do poke em in the eye with it? Or the super mini mag.. the two incher.. on a keychain? I never produce my keys in a confrontation. That's just asking for a major headache if the keys bust loose all over the place.

Forum List

Back