Do you believe the moses or mary stories?

All Holy books are just allegories?

• Yes

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Or Mohammad or Joseph Smith stories? I'm trying to figure out how many of us take all the stories literally like talking snakes or virgin births. I know a lot of people who say they are Christians but don't take the bible stories literally.

If you're Jewish, do you really believe Moses talked to God or were you just born Jewish and you believe in God but admit you don't take the old testament literally.

Im not even going to ask Mormons or Muslims. Of course they believe their books are literal.

IMO?? Parables.
It doesn't seem like anyone takes the bible literally. No virgin birth for example. That's what I thought.

Seems like humans are getting smarter. Could another Joseph Smith ever start another religion? I don't think so.

Think about how far we've come since 1800 when Joseph Smith started Mormonism. Could anyone today pull that off?

Then again we do have Scientology.

I wonder why celebrities are attracted to Scientology. There have been numerous celebrities who were members of that "religion" I think. Weird.

Probably the same reason most people get involved in cults ... looking for something missing in their life that they can't quite put their finger on. Having survived a little stint in a cult I can tell you that these people have the answer to anything and everything ... or so they weave it so well into your mindset you actually begin to believe it and the more you believe, the more of your own self you lose. I was lucky - I quit believing but still had long way to go before I saw my way out and I took it and never looked back. It's a hellish existence ... no life ... just a robot like existence.

Well, I'm glad to hear you got out! Definitely makes sense that they feel something is missing. Also, some are probably just young, impressionable and idealistic and think these types of "churches" represent how they feel.
I just looked into the basic premise of Scientology. I can see the allure. Plus they don't tell you the crazy stuff until you are already a committed believer. You like your group and don't want to get kicked out.

IMO?? Parables.
It doesn't seem like anyone takes the bible literally. No virgin birth for example. That's what I thought.

Seems like humans are getting smarter. Could another Joseph Smith ever start another religion? I don't think so.

Think about how far we've come since 1800 when Joseph Smith started Mormonism. Could anyone today pull that off?

I wonder why celebrities are attracted to Scientology. There have been numerous celebrities who were members of that "religion" I think. Weird.

Probably the same reason most people get involved in cults ... looking for something missing in their life that they can't quite put their finger on. Having survived a little stint in a cult I can tell you that these people have the answer to anything and everything ... or so they weave it so well into your mindset you actually begin to believe it and the more you believe, the more of your own self you lose. I was lucky - I quit believing but still had long way to go before I saw my way out and I took it and never looked back. It's a hellish existence ... no life ... just a robot like existence.

Well, I'm glad to hear you got out! Definitely makes sense that they feel something is missing. Also, some are probably just young, impressionable and idealistic and think these types of "churches" represent how they feel.
I just looked into the basic premise of Scientology. I can see the allure. Plus they don't tell you the crazy stuff until you are already a committed believer. You like your group and don't want to get kicked out.

Don't they ask you to give them all of your money? Anyway, I don't see the allure to any of these crazy things. Lol. Never have, never will.

Don't they ask you to give them all of your money? Anyway, I don't see the allure to any of these crazy things. Lol. Never have, never will.
But you understand the mentality of people who buy into these things. We live among devout Jews Christians and Muslims so we know all the motivations. Humans hate not having all the answers. So we have people who want to believe something but like Joseph Smith they know all the main religions arent the answer so they look for an alternative. Scientology is for people that want it. It's about making yourself better and now you've been sucked into a club. They look down on doubters. If you question anything you're turned in and labled a doubter. Even your spouse may turn you in as a doubter.

It all comes down to the fact religions make people a little bit stupid.

But you understand the mentality of people who buy into these things. We live among devout Jews Christians and Muslims so we know all the motivations. Humans hate not having all the answers. So we have people who want to believe something but like Joseph Smith they know all the main religions arent the answer so they look for an alternative. Scientology is for people that want it. It's about making yourself better and now you've been sucked into a club. They look down on doubters. If you question anything you're turned in and labled a doubter. Even your spouse may turn you in as a doubter.

Group think. No thanks.

Group think. No thanks.
Do you see that thread about you? Me me me? Lol. I think you are great. Totally moderate rational thoughtful and honest. I like it that you come off as a little bit of a narcissistic bitch. Why not, you're hot. Just being honest. And the haters gonna hate hate hate

The Bible is pure fiction that was written by religious scholars as a tool for controlling the thoughts and actions of the superstitious, which meant most everyone, at the time. Being fiction, it could have been written well, since it was made up. Unfortunately, it is horrendous writing. I have been through it 3 times, but only learned that there is a reason that jews are not known as great authors. They should have had someone like David Bowie write it:

The Bible is pure fiction that was written by religious scholars as a tool for controlling the thoughts and actions of the superstitious, which meant most everyone, at the time. Being fiction, it could have been written well, since it was made up. Unfortunately, it is horrendous writing. I have been through it 3 times, but only learned that there is a reason that jews are not known as great authors. They should have had someone like David Bowie write it:

It seems we are evolving out of believing these fables literally except for Mormons Muslims Christians jehovas Jews and Scientology don't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon.

I suppose that the world needs those that simply parrot what they have been told all their lives without thinking about it. There can be no leaders if there are no followers.

I suppose that the world needs those that simply parrot what they have been told all their lives without thinking about it. There can be no leaders if there are no followers.
I suppose I should look at religions as a industry. They provide people something they want, they employ a lot of people and they do a lot of good.

Maybe one day if they drop the whole God visited story I'll rejoin.

Seriously. I think I'm going to start a church. It's a church for people who believe something created us and we should do good things to thank it for our existence. That's it. No stories of how it ever visited. Sermons will be scientific and in search of how we got here. Our motto is We Don't Know.

Of course I don't believe there is a creator but I also believe if there were one he doesn't care

I suppose I should look at religions as a industry. They provide people something they want, they employ a lot of people and they do a lot of good.

Seriously. I think I'm going to start a church. It's a church for people who believe something created us and we should do good things to thank it for our existence. That's it. No stories of how it ever visited. Sermons will be scientific and in search of how we got here. Our motto is We Don't Know.

Kind of close to Unitarian, but you would have to drop the , '...people who believe something created us..." part. That is optional.

Kind of close to Unitarian, but you would have to drop the , '...people who believe something created us..." part. That is optional.
I can't believe no one has voted yes to my question. This is very encouraging to me.

When did this change? When I was a kid people really believed and tried to convince me Mary was a virgin and Jesus walked on water and moses parted the red seas.

I can't believe no one has voted yes to my question. This is very encouraging to me.

When did this change? When I was a kid people really believed and tried to convince me Mary was a virgin and Jesus walked on water and moses parted the red seas.

It hasn't changed. my sister in law told me that if there is one word in the Bible that I did not believe, than i might as well throw it on the ground, and trample it in the dust....

1. When people cannot give you the answer they know you want, they courteously remain silent. ;)

2. Besides, would you convince someone who had never seen a horse that horses exist by showing them a horseshoe? Or, would you show them the horse to better explain the reason for a horseshoe?

The place to start teaching about God is not with a sea or a virgin. First God, then the sea and the virgin.

Forum List

Back