Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Atheist

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Theist

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Other

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters
If you think faith excuses you from the "hard work of serious thought" you are sadly misguided. Believers must deal with serious issues, with their own wayward thoughts and constantly be second guessing themselves, trying to determine the correct thing and decipher meaning from the world around them and the tools of their faith.

Oh, and non believers don't have to " deal with serious issues, with their own wayward thoughts and constantly be second guessing themselves, trying to determine the correct thing and decipher meaning from the world around them" ???? Non believers do it all without the help of imaginary friends.

"God" has to be nothing more than a life force of some kind capable of creation, and beyond Man's realm of understanding.

A creator, IMO, makes FAR more sense than any of the alternate theories offered up; especially, since those theories contain MAJOR flaws and contradict the science that supposedly supports them.

But who would have created the creator?

Why does it have to be created? Perhaps it has always been. I don't know the answer. I am just intrigued by abstract ideas within the realm of possibility.

I've checked out the scientific theories as well as the religious ones. None provide a definitive answer and concrete evidence. One question always leads to another no matter what you choose to believe or disbelieve.

God is the creater. However God was not created, he has always been. He is the first, the last, the alpha and omaga. I know you all have a right to belive what you would like. But I do have a question for you, If, just If what the bible says is true, and there really is a God (as I do belive), And the result to your thinking of God being anything but the Lord our saviour, is forever being in the pit of hell, with pain like you have or will ever feel till that time, why would you chance that? If there is no God, then when I die, I wont no it any way. The pay off for beliving there is a God, is heaven. And if that is true, I will no that as well. Why take the chance with those odds and those being the results of the chance you take? Please tell me that.

Why does it have to be created? Perhaps it has always been.

That's sort of how I feel about the universe.

Not that I have any evidence that the universe has always existed or anything, but the "infinite regression" idea has always made sense to me. Under that model, every event gets to have a prior cause, and time gets to be a geometrically true line, extending indefinitely in both directions.

Maybe my mind has been corrupted by studying too much mathematics, though; pretty much every time I've heard the infinite regression idea, it's been presented as a paradox, evidence that the universe must have a beginning because you simply couldn't have an infinite chain of causes. It doesn't strike me as at all impossible, though, and in fact makes a sort of deep intuitive sense, a sense I don't get from any other creation theory.

You have no abstract concepts do you? Think about this question for a minute or ten. IF God had to be created, what created the thing that created him? And then, what created the thing that created that? And.... well maybe you get the idea. And maybe you do not.

As for Science and the big bang? What created the materials needed to create the Big bang? Are you getting the idea yet?

No, dear....Christians, Jews and Muslims are "theists".

I suppose you're right. I always understood it to mean a belief in a god or gods, but not necessarily a formal god like Christians, Jews, and Muslims believe in.

What do you mean by other, Anguille?

Why does it have to be created? Perhaps it has always been. I don't know the answer. I am just intrigued by abstract ideas within the realm of possibility.

I've checked out the scientific theories as well as the religious ones. None provide a definitive answer and concrete evidence. One question always leads to another no matter what you choose to believe or disbelieve.

It's interesting to try to imagine a time before time. I'm not entirely able to do so. It tickles my brain kind of like how it tickles your teeth to chew on a rubber band your teeth. ( I haven't done that since I was about 9, in case anyone was wondering).

Like the so-called ever expanding universe. What is it expanding into? What is not part of the universe?

God is the creater. However God was not created, he has always been. He is the first, the last, the alpha and omaga. I know you all have a right to belive what you would like. But I do have a question for you, If, just If what the bible says is true, and there really is a God (as I do belive), And the result to your thinking of God being anything but the Lord our saviour, is forever being in the pit of hell, with pain like you have or will ever feel till that time, why would you chance that? If there is no God, then when I die, I wont no it any way. The pay off for beliving there is a God, is heaven. And if that is true, I will no that as well. Why take the chance with those odds and those being the results of the chance you take? Please tell me that.

Why would I chance believing what some book says if none of it makes sense to me? What if there is a god but when you die he punishes people who believe that the Bible is the word of god? Why should I take a chance on that? Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants, to die and find myself in hell for believing what a bunch of other people believe? My chances are about the same either way.

You have no abstract concepts do you? Think about this question for a minute or ten. IF God had to be created, what created the thing that created him? And then, what created the thing that created that? And.... well maybe you get the idea. And maybe you do not.

As for Science and the big bang? What created the materials needed to create the Big bang? Are you getting the idea yet?

It's like looking into a mirror with a mirror directly opposite. Or like granting yourself remote desktop access to your own computer.

I suppose you're right. I always understood it to mean a belief in a god or gods, but not necessarily a formal god like Christians, Jews, and Muslims believe in.

What do you mean by other, Anguille?

I think she's wrong. She just wants to dismiss any religion that is not part of the Judeo Christian tradition.

Other = http://www.usmessageboard.com/relig...believe-or-not-believe-in-god.html#post698411

I didn't want to leave anyone out, for example those people who believe in some kind of 'energy", who tell you that when some one dies thier energy goes somewhere.

You know what I find funny.....You'll all believe on you death bed... Big tough talkers... I just wish I could get the opportunity to watch you squirm when the time comes

You know what I find funny? That you think that. Ignorant sadist!

May God Forgive You All!! The time of Christ coming is soon. All the signs that are spoken of in the bible are, or have came true. Please, Please close your eyes and ask God to forgive you and ask Christ into your hearts. You see, Christ did die on a cross for all of our sins, he then was resurrected to come back for all of us who believe. The catholic people predicted many years ago that the 13th pope would turn agents God and we are living in the time of the 12th now. That means that if true, when the next pope comes into the church, that should be the false profit that will stand with the anti-christ. All catholic calendars end in the year 2012, why? The Jews did not have a land to call home for over 1000 years till 1940's, so when in the bible it speaks of all nations coming agents Israel, there had to be an Israel for them to come agents. How did those who wrote the bible know that there would be an Israel? Because when they were writing the bible there was know Israel. The only way they would have known to write this was that God showed them what to write, and all that is written in the bible is from God. Time is running out for all who do not have Christ in there hearts. I can only pray that you receive something from this and you open your heart to Christ. If only one dose, it will be worth all the bad stuff I am sure some will say. For Christ is the only way to heaven. Christ said "Thru me will you be with my father", Please don’t be one of those left behind. Thank you, and may God bless you all.

Jimmy, what's the big deal with saving people? Do you get an extra fluffy cloud in heaven if you do?

That means that if true, when the next pope comes into the church, that should be the false profit that will stand with the anti-christ./QUOTE]

I'm a big supporter of non prophet organisations.

BIG BANG V Let there be light.

I'm having a great deal of difficulty seeing much difference.

Science is damned effective about telling us how the universe works.

Right now the multi-dimensional universe explanation seems to be very popular.

That theory leads us to think that our Big Bang is just one of a long line of big bangs which come into being from another diminution, and that our black holes are likely potential big bangs in other universes.

But even that theory acknowledges that it still has no explanation for whether the universe is static or it has a life and death cycle.

Nobody reading this is ever going to know the truth about his subject, methinks.

Hence in my opinion the goofy explanation: "It is turtles, turtles all the way down" is as good as anything anyone else has ever come up with.

Forum List

Back