Do you believe in the virgin birth of Jesus?

I believe that the virgin birth myth is metaphor. I think it means that Jesus was born purely.

I don't think the literal interpretation is the meaning behind the virgin birth story.

We have similar metaphors in Buddhism. Padmasambhava, or Guru Rinpoche was born from a lotus, and appeared as a child, already eight years old. The real meaning of the myth is that Padmasambhava was a born a Buddha, he did not 'become' a Buddha, as did Shakyamuni.

I think the virgin birth of Jesus is a similiar wisdom story. It's meant to take the follower of the Christian path to a place of deeper understanding. JMO

I believe Jesus was the son of Mary and Joseph [or Mary and a traveling merchant]. Mary and Joseph had lots of other kids, as all married couples did in those days. Joseph was likely much older than Mary (that's why he kinda just disappears later in the book). Jesus grew up, he probably married Mary Magdalene and had another bunch of kids, and then he got caught by the Law and sentenced to a brutal death by the imperial power of the time.

Yes, Jesus was a virgin at his birth.

And Moses really had a stone tablet with the burnng bush.:eusa_whistle:

That sounds painful.

Occassionally I set my mustashes on fire and that's not so good, either.

Looks really cool though according to those who've witnessed it.

Yes, Yeshua (Jesus) was a Jew. Matter of fact, He is part of the line of King David.

No, Jesus didn't believe that men could become gods, He taught everyone that the Kingdom of God is within. What that basically means is that everyone has a small piece of God in them, it's the electrical impulses of your nervous system.

As far as the virgin birth? Well.....according to the History Channel, on their program "The Search for Christmas", they showed that when the Bible was translated, they got the meaning of some of the words wrong, as the word referring to Mary was the Hebrew word for "young woman". The Church elders took that to mean "virgin", as they didn't have an exact meaning for Hebrew, and volia, the virgin birth story was born.

Yes, Yeshua (Jesus) was a Jew. Matter of fact, He is part of the line of King David.

No, Jesus didn't believe that men could become gods, He taught everyone that the Kingdom of God is within. What that basically means is that everyone has a small piece of God in them, it's the electrical impulses of your nervous system.

As far as the virgin birth? Well.....according to the History Channel, on their program "The Search for Christmas", they showed that when the Bible was translated, they got the meaning of some of the words wrong, as the word referring to Mary was the Hebrew word for "young woman". The Church elders took that to mean "virgin", as they didn't have an exact meaning for Hebrew, and volia, the virgin birth story was born.

Agreed--one has to go further than simplistic concrete thinking to understand the spiritual messages being taught. Jesus, for one, made it very clear that his "kingdom" was NOT of this world.

And.......the soul is referred to in Jewish theology as the yetzer hartov, which is the "God instinct". Most of us know it better as our conscience, or our little inner voice guiding us through our lives.

In Jewish theology, it talks about the beginning of each person. God, on His Throne, takes the blade of self-will, and carves off a small piece of Himself. That electrical energy is your soul, which is then placed in the embryo (your body, which has the animal nature or the yetzer harrah), and a few months later, birth.

Too bad that others aren't willing to look at theologies other than their own, because if you only have one, it is possible to be lied to quite a bit. Look at all the cults that are in existence today.

Last edited:
Saying that the word "virgin" was mistranslated is nonsense.

In Mary's own words, she said that she had not ever had sex.

Luke 1:34 "Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man"?

Does it really matter if Mary was a virgin?

Is it important to the message that Jesus was converying to the people?

Not to this some-kind-of-Christian, it isn't.

You are a moron.

How am I a moron RGS? She said a joking comment, so I made one back.

Sorry if you don't like any sense of humor in a thread. I was also referring to the so called "Mormon Mafia" if you didn't realize and not Mormons in general.

But hey, continue to make comments without knowing the full situation.

Though least you've got rid of your fixation with the word retard.

Saying that the word "virgin" was mistranslated is nonsense.

In Mary's own words, she said that she had not ever had sex.

Luke 1:34 "Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man"?

So a wife never had sex with her husband supposedly? :cuckoo:

well. i saw on a History channel special that Mary's parents could not have children the years they were married and trying, and Mary was born to them because God put her in to mary's mother's womb, so that mary was the ''immaculate'' conception....Mary was born without original sin, so that later, when she was to carry Jesus, in her vessel, her womb, it would be pure.

on this same program i believe, it also went in to the ''differing'' stories regarding the fact that mary had children or Jesus had sisters and brothers....it said that in other writings that did not make it in to the Bible that tell the story of Mary's mother and Father and Mary's mother being made pregnant by God with Mary....and there are passages in these books that go in to Joseph being an older man, who was married and widowed and had these children, from his first marriage of which Mary through her marriage to Joseph, became the mother of, and these children, who are older than Christ, are the ones that are mentioned as his brothers and sisters. And the program went in to how it was expected of Jewish men of the time to be married by the age of 20, and just the common practice of the time, almost verufied that Joseph, who was known to be an older man, had already been married and had already had children.

Now this could support the idea of the virgin birth of Jesus by Mary and Mary's perpetual virginity after wards, if these children were really Joseph's children from a previous marriage. The program speculated that these inspired books which were left out of the Bible... but found in some of the Dead Sea Scrolls, were left out intentionally because the focus of the Bible was the Gospel of Jesus Christ and having to put the Bible together in chronological order would have put these Books ahead of the Gospels of Christ and supposedly the Council ruled such out...

Now, I had never heard any of this stuff before this program, and i found it very interesting!

care

If the only purity some folks concieve of is sexual purity, then of course, Mary would not have had sex to be the Mother of God.

If Jesus was God, why was he born of a earthly woman? Why did he have a womb birth?

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back