Do you believe in gobal warming?

Something interesting for you weather watchers. It's really long:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/11/05/nosplit/nwarm05.xml

Climate chaos? Don't believe it

By Christopher Monckton, Sunday Telegraph
Last Updated: 12:14am GMT 05/11/2006

Download Christopher Monckton's references and detailed calculations [pdf]

The Stern report last week predicted dire economic and social effects of unchecked global warming. In what many will see as a highly controversial polemic, Christopher Monckton disputes the 'facts' of this impending apocalypse and accuses the UN and its scientists of distorting the truth

Biblical droughts, floods, plagues and extinctions?

Last week, Gordon Brown and his chief economist both said global warming was the worst "market failure" ever. That loaded soundbite suggests that the "climate-change" scare is less about saving the planet than, in Jacques Chirac's chilling phrase, "creating world government". This week and next, I'll reveal how politicians, scientists and bureaucrats contrived a threat of Biblical floods, droughts, plagues, and extinctions worthier of St John the Divine than of science.

Sir Nicholas Stern's report on the economics of climate change, which was published last week, says that the debate is over. It isn't. There are more greenhouse gases in the air than there were, so the world should warm a bit, but that's as far as the "consensus" goes. After the recent hysteria, you may not find the truth easy to believe. So you can find all my references and detailed calculations here.

The Royal Society says there's a worldwide scientific consensus. It brands Apocalypse-deniers as paid lackeys of coal and oil corporations. I declare my interest: I once took the taxpayer's shilling and advised Margaret Thatcher, FRS, on scientific scams and scares. Alas, not a red cent from Exxon.

In 1988, James Hansen, a climatologist, told the US Congress that temperature would rise 0.3C by the end of the century (it rose 0.1C), and that sea level would rise several feet (no, one inch). The UN set up a transnational bureaucracy, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). The UK taxpayer unwittingly meets the entire cost of its scientific team, which, in 2001, produced the Third Assessment Report, a Bible-length document presenting apocalyptic conclusions well beyond previous reports.
advertisement

This week, I'll show how the UN undervalued the sun's effects on historical and contemporary climate, slashed the natural greenhouse effect, overstated the past century's temperature increase, repealed a fundamental law of physics and tripled the man-made greenhouse effect.

Next week, I'll demonstrate the atrocious economic, political and environmental cost of the high-tax, zero-freedom, bureaucratic centralism implicit in Stern's report; I'll compare the global-warming scare with previous sci-fi alarums; and I'll show how the environmentalists' "precautionary principle" (get the state to interfere now, just in case) is killing people.

So to the scare. First, the UN implies that carbon dioxide ended the last four ice ages. It displays two 450,000-year graphs: a sawtooth curve of temperature and a sawtooth of airborne CO2 that's scaled to look similar. Usually, similar curves are superimposed for comparison. The UN didn't do that. If it had, the truth would have shown: the changes in temperature preceded the changes in CO2 levels.

Next, the UN abolished the medieval warm period (the global warming at the end of the First Millennium AD). In 1995, David Deming, a geoscientist at the University of Oklahoma, had written an article reconstructing 150 years of North American temperatures from borehole data. He later wrote: "With the publication of the article in Science, I gained significant credibility in the community of scientists working on climate change. They thought I was one of them, someone who would pervert science in the service of social and political causes. One of them let his guard down. A major person working in the area of climate change and global warming sent me an astonishing email that said: 'We have to get rid of the Medieval Warm Period.' "

So they did. The UN's second assessment report, in 1996, showed a 1,000-year graph demonstrating that temperature in the Middle Ages was warmer than today. But the 2001 report contained a new graph showing no medieval warm period. It wrongly concluded that the 20th century was the warmest for 1,000 years. The graph looked like an ice hockey-stick. The wrongly flat AD1000-AD1900 temperature line was the shaft: the uptick from 1900 to 2000 was the blade. Here's how they did it:

Oh, and here's this week's:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/11/12/nclim12.xml&page=1

Wrong problem, wrong solution

Last Updated: 12:29am GMT 12/11/2006
Page 1 of 5

# Readers' responses to Christopher Monckton's first article [PDF]

Christopher Monckton created considerable controversy last week with his article questioning the science that claims human activity is responsible for climate change. Now he challenges the economic assumptions of the Stern report

Tilting at windfarms: It would take a windfarm the size of greater Manchester to match the output of one nuclear power station

In the climate change debate, one figure is real. The Sunday Telegraph's website registered more than 127,000 hits in response to last week's article revealing that the UN had minimised the sun's role in changing past and present climate, persisted in proven errors and used unsound data, questionable graphs and meretricious maths to exaggerate future warming threefold.

The views of 200 readers who emailed me are in the link above. About a third are scientists, including well-known climatologists and a physicist who confirmed my calculations. Some advise governments.

Why is that? Because its being mired down by the international beaurocracy that is partially helping to finance it. I say screw the international community on this one. The US government needs to recognize that fusion is realistic within two to three decades if properly funded (most expect fusion around 2030). If we were to get behind this kind of project, with oh I dont know... The same amount of money we're spending on the Iraq War, then fusion could be obtained relatively fast. It's a simple concept. I'm sure it would not be particularly well received amongst people, but the harsh reality of it is that the will to develop fusion based technologies is prohibitively priced out of reach of major corporations.

The pay off is tremendous. The benefits for essentially 'free' energy are limitless.

I think we should put a tariff on OPEC oil and use some of the cash, say 20% or so, to fund fusion research. The rest should go to tax rebates for domestic energy usage.

Tilting at windfarms: It would take a windfarm the size of greater Manchester to match the output of one nuclear power station
Wouldn't a farm of this magnitude slow down the wind, possibly changing global patterns? Isn't that a worse scenario than having a little leak at a nuke plant or waste dump? WTF are these greenies thinking?

Wouldn't a farm of this magnitude slow down the wind, possibly changing global patterns? Isn't that a worse scenario than having a little leak at a nuke plant or waste dump? WTF are these greenies thinking?

Heck--it may even cause the earths rotation to slow down and make for longer days !!!:alco:

Something interesting for you weather watchers. It's really long:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/11/05/nosplit/nwarm05.xml

So to the scare. First, the UN implies that carbon dioxide ended the last four ice ages. It displays two 450,000-year graphs: a sawtooth curve of temperature and a sawtooth of airborne CO2 that's scaled to look similar. Usually, similar curves are superimposed for comparison. The UN didn't do that. If it had, the truth would have shown: the changes in temperature preceded the changes in CO2 levels.

The "UN" IPCC report not only superimposed the graphs together, but it also states very clearly that the changes in temperature preceed the changes in co2 level. But unlike this article the IPCC report also mentions additional important information that the changes in temperature co2 level occur after the initial temperature rise.

If this article had provided the relevant info "the truth would have shown" that the co2 rise only proceeds the initial temp rise, leaving the majority of the rise open for contribution by the added co2.

It's ironic that the article is guilty of the same thing it accuses the "UN" of - misleading readers by not providing relevant info. Here the article implies that co2 cannot cause a temperature rise because the co2 rise happened after the temperature rise. That is bogus.

Forum List

Back