Do you believe in gobal warming?

I have to agree with one of the earlier posters, this belongs in science, not politics. Moving.

I would be daft If i didn't believe in global warming. I mean its happening all around us..Polar ice caps melting , ozone layer depletion , rising sea levels..Its true.These are hot topics among environmentalists.Most people don't give two shits about them but I assure they will in the next decade or so. Katrina , RIta , Tsunamis are all proof of that.

Moral:- Never mess with Ma Nature or else she'll kick everyone's ass..wether its a global superpower or a third world poverty stricken country!!

I feel you should have posted this under Science and Tech and not under Politics

Akshay

Proof the sea level won’t rise.

Do this little experiment.

Fill a glass with ice cubes then add water to the very top, set aside and let the ice melt.
When the ice is melted let us know just how much water rose above the lip of the glass.:D

Proof the sea level won’t rise.

Do this little experiment.

Fill a glass with ice cubes then add water to the very top, set aside and let the ice melt.
When the ice is melted let us know just how much water rose above the lip of the glass.:D

I hope you know that ice is made of water. Okay so thats done. The ice caps in the Antarctica and Artic are melting. This is because of ozone layer depletion which allows harmful UV rays to strike the earth in large quantities. The heat causes the ice caps to melt. And Antarctica and the ARtic aren't as small as Smallville in Kansas. They are continents...So when the ice caps melt they become water..When a Huge block of ice melts A huge amount of water is added to the oceans and seas..This makes the sea level rise. For more info go to Google and search for topics on Global Warming/Greenhouse effects and all that stuff.Look it up if you don't believe me.. And your experiment has no relation to the melting of ice caps.

Thank you

Akshay

I hope you know that ice is made of water. Okay so thats done. The ice caps in the Antarctica and Artic are melting. This is because of ozone layer depletion which allows harmful UV rays to strike the earth in large quantities. The heat causes the ice caps to melt. And Antarctica and the ARtic aren't as small as Smallville in Kansas. They are continents...So when the ice caps melt they become water..When a Huge block of ice melts A huge amount of water is added to the oceans and seas..This makes the sea level rise. For more info go to Google and search for topics on Global Warming/Greenhouse effects and all that stuff.Look it up if you don't believe me.. And your experiment has no relation to the melting of ice caps.

Thank you

Akshay

Buy em books and send em to school an...geeezzzzzzzz!
Do the experiment.

And your experiment has no relation to the melting of ice caps.
Indeed it does! The ice cubes are the caps, the water is the ocean.
Try it, it proves your and the lib assertion that the sea will rise false.

Diagram of water cycle with emphasis on glacial mass.

Sea levels have risen approx 1-2 or 3 mm a year for the last 100 yrs up to the early 90's or so. I think it's been steady at 2 or 3 for the last decade. And that's all I remember about that right now.

Mass_balance_atmospheric_circulatio.png

pq1122144001.jpg

Fig. 1. The Malaspina Glacier (a small portion shown here), with an area of 5,000 km (2), and the equally large Bering Glacier now are known to be major sources of runoff to the ocean causing sea-level rise. These and nearby glaciers in southern Alaska and adjacent Canada now supply about as much glacial runoff as all the other glaciers in the world, exclusive of the two major ice sheets. Many previous analyses underestimated this contribution because of the lack of quality meteorological and glaciological data from the area. (Credit: U.S. Geological Survey/photo by Austin Post.)

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/99/10/6524

Boring article, makes some good points, good for scimming.

Indeed it does! The ice cubes are the caps, the water is the ocean.
Try it, it proves your and the lib assertion that the sea will rise false.

That is only the ice that is on top of the water already, not the ice that melts from the land. Artarctica has land under it, not ocean. Any melted ice from the continent itself adds to the volume of water in the sea...

That is only the ice that is on top of the water already, not the ice that melts from the land. Artarctica has land under it, not ocean. Any melted ice from the continent itself adds to the volume of water in the sea...

True, that is why I asked akiboy, where the most volume of ice was, on land or frozen sea. If it is sea, we won't see anything that is predicted by some.

That is only the ice that is on top of the water already
And under the water also. Just like the ice cube, the volume of frozen sea water doesn't change when it melts.

I'm no hydrology expert, another liberal maybe? :laugh:

When ice on land slides into the ocean, it displaces ocean water and causes sea level to rise. People believe that when this floating ice melts, water level doesn’t rise an additional amount because the freshwater ice displaces the same volume of water as it would contribute once it melts. Similarly, people also think that when ocean water freezes to form sea ice and then melts, the water is merely going through a change of state, so it won’t affect sea level. However, in a visit to NSIDC in May, Dr. Peter Noerdlinger, a professor at St. Mary’s University in Nova Scotia, Canada, suggested otherwise.

In a paper titled "The Melting of Floating Ice will Raise the Ocean Level" submitted to Geophysical Journal International, Noerdlinger demonstrates that melt water from sea ice and floating ice shelves could add 2.6% more water to the ocean than the water displaced by the ice, or the equivalent of approximately 4 centimeters (1.57 inches) of sea-level rise.

The common misconception that floating ice won’t increase sea level when it melts occurs because the difference in density between fresh water and salt water is not taken into consideration. Archimedes’ Principle states that an object immersed in a fluid is buoyed up by a force equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. However, Noerdlinger notes that because freshwater is not as dense as saltwater, freshwater actually has greater volume than an equivalent weight of saltwater. Thus, when freshwater ice melts in the ocean, it contributes a greater volume of melt water than it originally displaced.

http://www.physorg.com/news5619.html

I should clarify, I don't think the results of this will be catostrophic. No one can really agree, and I personally think the dangers are bigger from fresh water run off than melting ice on the ocean.

If frozen liquid is added to water, wouldn't the volum increase if the ice in or ontop of the water melts?

No. If you add water to ice cubes (liquid water to frozen water) you have X volume. When the ice melts you still have x volume.

Think about filling the old ice cube tray. You put water in then freeze it, same volume. Let it melt, same volume. Or take 2 cups of water from 5 cups. Freeze the two. Add back to the three. It's still 5 cups. Let the ice melt, it's still 5 cups.

No. If you add water to ice cubes (liquid water to frozen water) you have X volume. When the ice melts you still have x volume.

Think about filling the old ice cube tray. You put water in then freeze it, same volume. Let it melt, same volume. Or take 2 cups of water from 5 cups. Freeze the two. Add back to the three. It's still 5 cups. Let the ice melt, it's still 5 cups.

yes but you are failing to include the ice on landmass. Which if it melts will flow into the ocean, causing the sealevel to rise.

yes but you are failing to include the ice on landmass. Which if it melts will flow into the ocean, causing the sealevel to rise.

No, not failing. I asked what made up the greatest volume of ice. Is it landmass or frozen sea. The consensus seems to be frozen sea. I agree. So, my opinion of the disaster that won't happen is based on that.

No, not failing. I asked what made up the greatest volume of ice. Is it landmass or frozen sea. The consensus seems to be frozen sea. I agree. So, my opinion of the disaster that won't happen is based on that.

Large portions of south pole ice is on top of the landmass of Antarctica.

However, Noerdlinger notes that because freshwater is not as dense as saltwater, freshwater actually has greater volume than an equivalent weight of saltwater. Thus, when freshwater ice melts in the ocean, it contributes a greater volume of melt water than it originally displaced.

Interesting, Said1. I missed that. Something to look into Thanks.

I mean ice added to water. That is, ice cubes added to a glass already filled with water, later melting would increase volume of water inside the glass. You are essentially adding more water to an existing body (or glass) of water, regardless of the state it's in when it enters ie:frozen, not frozen. I understand the ice cube tray analogy, jeez, I did go to elmentriey skool. :tongue1:

Forum List

Back