Do you believe a Vote for a Third Party Candidate is a Waste?

Do you believe a Vote for a Third Party Candidate is a Waste?

• Total voters
I also believe in a no confidence option for each race.
If it gets more votes than either candidate they have to do it again with someone else.

And how many times should this be allowed to go on? Do they just keep going with different candidates until one of them finally beats "None of the above?" Or do they just keep that seat vacant after so many tries. Elections cost money, and I'm of the opinion that it's a waste of money to have elections over and over again like that.

If it gets more votes than either candidate they have to do it again with someone else.

And how many times should this be allowed to go on? Do they just keep going with different candidates until one of them finally beats "None of the above?" Or do they just keep that seat vacant after so many tries. Elections cost money, and I'm of the opinion that it's a waste of money to have elections over and over again like that.

an interim gets appointed by governor or whatever and we do it again.

an election is supposed to provide the representative that the people want not a choice of two that the mega parties want.

an election is supposed to provide the representative that the people want not a choice of two that the mega parties want.

I don't trust governors or anyone to pick a representative for me. Look at Blago, Patterson, etc.

And if no one can win Governor?

I don't trust governors or anyone to pick a representative for me. Look at Blago, Patterson, etc.
actually, those were senators and that is spelled out in the constitution
and i dont believe any Representative is appointed by the governors

how long do you think it would take to have the run off?
btw, i would also support moving the election up by a month
longer days and the likelihood of bad weather is less

You're right, I mistyped.

Even if it's in the Constitution, I don't like it.

New York doesn't need two Chuck Shumers. One's good enough.

The issue here is if "None of the above" was an option on the ballot. I contend that "None of the above" would win a lot of elections. What if "None of the above" won the second election? And on and on? These elections are going to cost taxpayer money, and in the end, an establishment drone is going to win anyways. Not to mention, as there are more and more elections you're going to have a lower turnout. People aren't going to constantly spend their time showing up to the polls to vote.

I say one election is enough.

honestly, even though i likely wouldnt like the people my current governor would appoint, i wish the senators would go back to being selected by the governors and approved by the legislature
at least then i think you would see some better things out of DC

honestly, even though i likely wouldnt like the people my current governor would appoint, i wish the senators would go back to being selected by the governors and approved by the legislature
at least then i think you would see some better things out of DC

I'm all for repealing the 17th amendment, but I think a better option is to let each state decide for itself whether it wants popular election or having the state choose their Senators. I'd support the state choosing, but I think letting the states decide for themselves is the best option.

The issue here is if "None of the above" was an option on the ballot. I contend that "None of the above" would win a lot of elections. What if "None of the above" won the second election? And on and on? These elections are going to cost taxpayer money, and in the end, an establishment drone is going to win anyways. Not to mention, as there are more and more elections you're going to have a lower turnout. People aren't going to constantly spend their time showing up to the polls to vote.

well, you could do the "instant run-offs" where you rank the candidates by your choice
but if the voters in WPB, FL have troubles with a simple punch card ballot, how do you think they would do with that :lol:

Yes, but maybe the parties will stop giving us Tweedldee and Tweedldum.

The parties only exist to stay in power. They don't care who they elect, so long as that person works for the benefit of the party. A more independent minded candidate is quickly shunned as "extreme" or "kooky," because they're not necessarily going to benefit the party. "Tweedledee" and "Tweedledum," as you call them, are more likely to play ball, so to speak. So that's exactly who the parties want.

The parties only exist to stay in power. They don't care who they elect, so long as that person works for the benefit of the party. A more independent minded candidate is quickly shunned as "extreme" or "kooky," because they're not necessarily going to benefit the party. "Tweedledee" and "Tweedledum," as you call them, are more likely to play ball, so to speak. So that's exactly who the parties want.
a "none of the above " option could eliminate that

Yes
Often on USMB, I see people on USMB either act or outright state that a vote for a third party candidate is a waste despite the fact they'd be voting for someone they don't like otherwise.

Poll coming, simple yes or no. Feel free to state why you feel that way in a post.

One of your inferred premises is that the people as a whole have ever voted for candidates they like. As if a thrid party is restoring something lost.

am I right?

a "none of the above " option could eliminate that

Well this takes me back to my objections regarding that option. :lol:

I personally don't see that as solving the problem, however. The establishment candidates will still have the best chance to win the election.

Umm ultimately the governor would have been elected with the no confidence option available as well..... Or maybe re-elected with that option open to the voters....

Another election recommendation of mine is all presidential primaries are held on the same date. And on the November final presidential election no results are released until after the last polls close in the last state.

Just an fyi I voted for Ross.

There was no option for "depends".

Sometimes it is a waste, sometimes it isn't. Depends on the political situation at the time.

Put it this way, I voted third party in 2004 because it was a forgone conclusion which presidential candidate my state was going to throw it's electoral votes behind. My thinking was that if enough of "us" voted third party that the winners of the elections might get shaken up a little by the message sent. So while I knew the candidate I was pulling the lever for was not going to win, there was a point to it. So I do not consider it a waste.

Now in a close election, a vote for a third party is a waste at this time in our political history. You're throwing away your vote for your "perfect" (although loser) candidate instead of going with the candidate you may have disagreements with, but has the best shot of winning. See also: Ralph Nader, Florida 2000.

It is not just about sending a message. If 3rd party candidates in the presidential race anyways, can get enough % of the vote, and it is not much. They get Federal Funding and access to debates they would not have gotten in the next election.

I'm not going to vote for a third party simply because they might get a shot at debates in the next election.

Actually it is the federal Matching Funds that is huge. If they get that, they have a much better chance because they can raise far more money.

Another election recommendation of mine is all presidential primaries are held on the same date. And on the November final presidential election no results are released until after the last polls close in the last state.

Just an fyi I voted for Ross.
and no exit polling allowed

Forum List

Back