Do you believe a Vote for a Third Party Candidate is a Waste?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Modbert, Aug 23, 2010.

?

Do you believe a Vote for a Third Party Candidate is a Waste?

1. Yes

28.1%
  2. No

71.9%
  1. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Often on USMB, I see people on USMB either act or outright state that a vote for a third party candidate is a waste despite the fact they'd be voting for someone they don't like otherwise.

Poll coming, simple yes or no. Feel free to state why you feel that way in a post.

2. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    It can be, yes... but then again, I have not seen one stand head and shoulders over any candidate that has an actual chance of winning... I would seriously consider voting for a 3rd party candidate that really stood close to my views on the stances

As stated in another thread... where change should happen most is in the primaries... however, the way the primary system is set up, most states do not get a voice until after trends are seen and some candidates are already out of the race... While I love how our general election for prez is set up, and I love the electoral college to ensure even the small states have their voices heard, I think the primary system needs serious revamping

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. P F Tinmore

P F Tinmore Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,920
    How many people wasted their vote on McCain. He lost too.

Virtually any third party candidate is better than one from the corporate owned parties. (Repubs and Dems)

4. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    I've been wanting a viable third party, but we need one that can really have a chance at the polls. Like DD said, vote em in at the primarys! But who votes there, usually it's about a 15% turn out of all registered voters or some such small numbers. (and yes, I vote in all elections fyi)

We need a grassroots movement and a lot of internet action/cell phone/social networks to get people involved in trying to make a difference.

But first, give me that third party candidate, and make sure they stand for what WE THE PEOPLE want and need. :eusa_pray:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    A "waste" would be voting out of fear that the other party/candidate may win.

I want to vote out of my conviction that my choice is the best choice.

6. RadiomanATL

RadiomanATL Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    There was no option for "depends".

Sometimes it is a waste, sometimes it isn't. Depends on the political situation at the time.

Put it this way, I voted third party in 2004 because it was a forgone conclusion which presidential candidate my state was going to throw it's electoral votes behind. My thinking was that if enough of "us" voted third party that the winners of the elections might get shaken up a little by the message sent. So while I knew the candidate I was pulling the lever for was not going to win, there was a point to it. So I do not consider it a waste.

Now in a close election, a vote for a third party is a waste at this time in our political history. You're throwing away your vote for your "perfect" (although loser) candidate instead of going with the candidate you may have disagreements with, but has the best shot of winning. See also: Ralph Nader, Florida 2000.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    I said no, but 3rd party candidates can often be a spoiler. You vote for them and take votes away from what would be your second choice and help the guy you do not want to win win.

Clinton was elected both times party because many conservatives voted for Perot. That is why Clinton never got over 50% of the vote even though he won both times.

The country clearly didnt want Clinton. They wanted a republican or a conservative 3rd party candidate by about 53% of the vote if I am not mistaken.

8. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Actually, I said yes, but I think the right answer is 'most of the time'. There are times when the third-party candidate is the mainstream candidate like bloomberg in ny or crist in fl.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    It is not just about sending a message. If 3rd party candidates in the presidential race anyways, can get enough % of the vote, and it is not much. They get Federal Funding and access to debates they would not have gotten in the next election.

10. RadiomanATL

RadiomanATL Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    I'm not going to vote for a third party simply because they might get a shot at debates in the next election.