"Do You Austrians Have a Better Idea?"

I love how those in favor of an overbearing government claim that abolishing income taxes would yield complete anarchy. First off, we've existed 125 years without one, and government was intervening in ways it shouldn't have, still. Secondly, the Constitution says all responsibilities not -explicitly- given to the the Federal government shall be reserved only for the State or local governments. Fascism has never worked (Soviet Union, North Korea, etc), but politicians seem to be keen on not reading history.

And the twist here is that the federal government takes our money, creates and funds with that money departments to oversee areas of control that are not spelled out in the Constitution and then used that very same money to extort states into compliance with federal policy that the federal government has absolutely no right to make.

Teach this curriculum in your schools or your state gets no federal money...
Raise the drinking age or your state receives no highway funds...

It's extortion. but once again, if the government does it, it's not illegal.

I love how those in favor of an overbearing government claim that abolishing income taxes would yield complete anarchy. First off, we've existed 125 years without one, and government was intervening in ways it shouldn't have, still. Secondly, the Constitution says all responsibilities not -explicitly- given to the the Federal government shall be reserved only for the State or local governments. Fascism has never worked (Soviet Union, North Korea, etc), but politicians seem to be keen on not reading history.

And the twist here is that the federal government takes our money, creates and funds with that money departments to oversee areas of control that are not spelled out in the Constitution and then used that very same money to extort states into compliance with federal policy that the federal government has absolutely no right to make.

Teach this curriculum in your schools or your state gets no federal money...
Raise the drinking age or your state receives no highway funds...

It's extortion. but once again, if the government does it, it's not illegal.

Agree 100%.

two words: pipe dream.

better luck next election cycle, boys.

Editec, without income tax, and all the other taxes, there would be no need for the IRS. Taxes would be collected by individual states, businesses, or possibly a new federal agency WAY less bloated than the IRS, with WAY less power.

What gives you the impression that the States are any less corruptable than the FEDS? Have you ever paid attention to how corrupt you state probably is?

This delusion that the STATES are inherently less corrupt or more effieient is not based on any reality I have ever witnessed.

Take sales tax for instance. Retailers collect the tax and then send it to their respective state treasury. Let's say we adopted the Fair Tax for federal revenues. The IRS wouldn't be necessary anymore because retailers would collect their state sales tax, and now an additional line of tax for the federal flat tax, which is proposed at 23%. The retailer would then send their state tax to their state treasury, and the federal tax to the US treasury. No need for an agency to collect, because businesses are now the sole means of collection.

As long as this nation's income distribution standard deviations are so huge a FLAT TAX is out of the question.

This is a huge source of revenue when federal taxes are cut, since a lot of that extra money is now spent, generating additional sales tax revenue. That's where the idea of extra revenue being generated out of a tax cut comes from. That's what the Mises article author is saying when he says in a few years we'd be in the black. Those tax cuts would go back into the market and generate additional revenue in other ways, rather than being TAKEN from you before you even get to see it.[/quote]

No what he said was that we should sell the corwn jewels of the USA so that cheapskate billionaires don't have to pay any taxes.

He might have said it in a way that mitigates it, but essantially that is this idiots grand plan.

The man's either a moron or a tool...I expect he's a tool to be honest.

Are you suggesting there's corruption in the process of state sales tax collection?

I'd like you to elaborate. I pay 7% sales tax. I buy something, and I pay 7% on my purchase. The business sends the revenue to the treasury. Transaction complete. Where it goes AFTER that is really anyone's guess, which is a constant in all taxation.

What exactly are you suggesting?

Last edited:
Secondly, the Constitution says all responsibilities not -explicitly- given to the the Federal government shall be reserved only for the State or local governments.

That's not what it says.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

The scope of the word "people" has been a bone of contention since the founding of this Nation. As far as I know, local government isn't mentioned anywhere in the federal Constitution.

Last edited:
LOL! The Austrians sat back and let Hitler ream them up the rear, how'd that work out for them?

My Great Grandfather didn't let Hitler ram shit, he saw the writing on the wall and they put that puppet Schussnigg in power so Hitler could own his ass

Forum List

Back