CDZ Do you Alexa or its' Google Equivilent?

Do you use an Alexa or its' Google Equivilent? If you do have you ever given any thought that you have an active microphone that is connected to the Internet that can be easedropping on all your conversations? If Alexa and Google advertisers have thought about it no doubt the authorities have too.
I own neither but that horse has already left the barn. My Android phone is listening 24/7 for my "Hello Google" triggering phrase (Seri is the same I think). My cell provider can already see all my texts and listen to my calls.

I have to admit I'm not bothered. I don't break the law and Verizon and Google would be badly hurt is they abused my privacy. And those things ALWAYS come out over time.

I have two Echoes (Alexa) but they are both unplugged now. I was using them to read books to me in both the kitchen while cooking and to go to sleep. But they turn off with power outages and then YELL very loudly at 2 AM when the power flips back on, connection vocalizations. After several of those events, I gave up on them. Also they don't voice command well with me: they wouldn't read the [title]. I'd have to turn them on manually often.
AND they quite often talk to us while we're watching TV --- they pick up sounds and then reply with something strange and not relevant. It's surprisingly scary.

And finally, though we don't suppose anyone is interested, we didn't care for the spy in the living room. Lawyers and police ARE using them in murder investigations, for instance, and more crimes to come --- I read about one such case in the paper. He said he found wifey dead, but Alexa picked up the argument when he got home and the whack hitting her head.

Do you use an Alexa or its' Google Equivilent? If you do have you ever given any thought that you have an active microphone that is connected to the Internet that can be easedropping on all your conversations? If Alexa and Google advertisers have thought about it no doubt the authorities have too.
Do you use an Alexa or its' Google Equivilent?
Yes.

If you do have you ever given any thought that you have an active microphone that is connected to the Internet that can be easedropping on all your conversations?
No.

If/when someone publishes my conversations that I had rather not be published I'll deal with it. Call me crazy, but I'm of the mind that the best way to ensure my thoughts remain private, secret if one wants, is to not discuss them with others. Insofar as I don't vocalize to myself, if someone's eavesdropping on my conversations, I hope they are satisfied, amused, etc. somehow by what they hear. For my part, I'm confident that nothing they may hear is something to which I won't openly attest if called to do so.

Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.
-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack

New Topics

Forum List

Back