Do you advocate someone not obeying laws they disagree with?

You should never support or obey immoral or un-Constitution laws. By un-Constitutional, I don't mean by the 9 whore's definition, I mean by the author's definitions.

Or, in other words, each person decides what's right.

Who else can be trusted to interpret the Constitution than oneself?

No, You should never support or obey immoral or Unconstitutional laws. This applies to even those in the Military. Remember that excuse of I was just following orders did not work too well for them.
Also there is Jury Nullification to help out on ridding the government of questionable laws

Last edited:
Personally, I'm a Christian so I apply Romans 13:5 & 6:
5 So you must obey the government for two reasons: to keep from being punished and to keep a clear conscience. 6 Pay your taxes, too, for these same reasons

Almost exactly what I was going to say.

We are commanded to follow man's law unless and/or until it contradicts God's law

:cool:

So you will obey any law?

I am supposed to. If I feel honor bound to defy a law, then I'll take the punishment they dole out.

Ugh sounds terrible. You do know that you're not supposed to take the Bible literally right? The honey that's dipped from that busy hive can be sweet and nourishing, or it can be hallucinogenic and deadly. All too frequently, the latter is confused with the former. Dip with caution. Reader be-ware.

I've spent many decades reading and studying the Bible. (I fall way short of putting these terrific principles into action, however. So no "holier than thou" sentiments here.) I feel comfortable with my ability to diferentiate between the different types of literature that are included. Each individual must interpret the instructions as they are led.

The rule of law and the respect for that is a fundamental strength of the United States. We peacefully transfer power in a way that only a handful of nations can. That is because ultimately - in the long run - the ballot box is the undeniable authority in our nation. There are peaceful and lawful ways to right wrongs and address grievances in the United States of America.

Many times throughout our history minorities have chaffed under the principle of majority rule. And sometimes they have become unlawful in their attempt to push the majority toward correcting what they perceive to be injustices. I can maintain a healthy respect for non-violent civil disobedience but my level of respect is usually dictated by my perception of the "justness" of the cause. And when civil disobedience crosses the line into violence and/or the victimization of others, my respect evaporates completely.

I understand how subjective that is, but I'm comfortable with that. We are a nation of subjective individuals who are doing our best to get along in a just society as best we can.

Last edited:
For example, if some disagree with taxation, do you think they are correct if they don't pay them. Whatever law it may be, if you disagree with it, should you violate it or respect it because it is the law?

Take the white folks who provided education to some slaves, against the law, should they not have done that because the law is the law, or is it the duty of someone to not follow laws they find immoral ?

I think you have an obligation to act as your own code of honor dictates, but you also have an obligation to accept the consequences of that action. If you violate the law because you find it unjust, then if you are caught you should accept the consequences of that action.

In general though, I believe that the ethical and Christian thing to do is to obey the law of the land up until the point it either leads you into sin or it brings harm to a fellow human being.

So in your example, I'd have provided an education to anyone asking for it regardless of the law.

Does this apply to marijuana? How about sodomy?

The more laws there are, the more people will start disobeying the law.

For example, if some disagree with taxation, do you think they are correct if they don't pay them. Whatever law it may be, if you disagree with it, should you violate it or respect it because it is the law?

Take the white folks who provided education to some slaves, against the law, should they not have done that because the law is the law, or is it the duty of someone to not follow laws they find immoral ?

It might be a good idea to read "On the duty of Civil Disobedience" Since the essay is rather long I'll post a link to a summary by Spark Notes.

SparkNotes: Civil Disobedience: Section One

You mean civil disobedience? There is honor in it sometimes. You have to be prepared to accept the consequences, though. Stockpiling illegal weapons doesn't count as civil disobedience

You mean civil disobedience? There is honor in it...Stockpiling illegal weapons doesn't count as civil disobedience

Thank you for once again demonstrating the extent to which you are a hypocrite. :clap2:

no hypocrisy.

civil disobedience requires it be CIVILIZED.

i know you don't understand that. but saw that the randian idiot liked your post. so that just proves i'm right.

:thup:

You mean civil disobedience? There is honor in it...Stockpiling illegal weapons doesn't count as civil disobedience

Thank you for once again demonstrating the extent to which you are a hypocrite. :clap2:

no hypocrisy.

i know you don't understand that. but saw that the randian idiot liked your post. so that just proves i'm right.

And those law abiding citizens that legally arm themselves are not civil why? Because YOU say so?

Nice ad hominem by the way. I realize that's all you have. Sucks to be you I guess...:cuckoo:

You mean civil disobedience? There is honor in it sometimes. You have to be prepared to accept the consequences, though. Stockpiling illegal weapons doesn't count as civil disobedience

it does if you are protesting laws restricting the owning of certain weapons.

no hypocrisy.

So owning weapons is something only uncivilized people do?

Refusing to surrender such arms when they were once legal, but then made illegal to me would be. Once the government decides to use force to compel cooperation however, civil disobedience should turn to resistance.

That is the point of breaking, because a government that is willing to confiscate firearms by force is a government that knows there will be casualties, and has decided disarming its previously law abiding citizens is worth the blood and the risk.

so what you really wanna say is that youre okay with it if it fits your agenda but if not you disagree with it?

Forum List

Back