Do you 99% envy what the 1% have or do you resent what the 1% has?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by healthmyths, Jan 13, 2012.

?

The 1% have more then the 99%. If you are in the 99% do you

  1. want what the 1% has taken away from them

    2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. I envy what they have but don't want it taken from them

    2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. I am envious but am motivated to have what they have

    6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. healthmyths
    Offline

    healthmyths Gold Member Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2011
    Messages:
    15,253
    Thanks Received:
    2,045
    Trophy Points:
    245
    Ratings:
    +3,857
    There is a big big distinction here.
    If you envy what the 1% have, that's fine .. not a problem.
    BUT if you resent what the 1% has and want what they have taken from them that's a problem.
     
  2. ABikerSailor
    Offline

    ABikerSailor Platinum Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2008
    Messages:
    31,481
    Thanks Received:
    4,826
    Trophy Points:
    1,140
    Location:
    Amarillo TX
    Ratings:
    +8,517
    I don't really envy anyone who is in the top 1 percent.

    Seems that having that much money turns a person into a heartless douche.

    Me? I'd rather live humbly and be happy, you learn more that way.
     
  3. Vast LWC
    Offline

    Vast LWC <-Mohammed

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2009
    Messages:
    10,390
    Thanks Received:
    871
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    New York
    Ratings:
    +871
    I notice you're referring to the 99% as "you".

    Are you a multi-millionaire then?

    Because if you're not, then you are part of the 99%.

    And if you're not already there, there's a 99% percent chance that you will never be one of the 1%.

    And THAT is the problem.
     
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  4. Mr Clean
    Offline

    Mr Clean Gold Member

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2009
    Messages:
    10,055
    Thanks Received:
    2,250
    Trophy Points:
    255
    Ratings:
    +3,827
    What's the threshold of net worth needed to be in the 1%?
     
  5. truthsaga
    Offline

    truthsaga Economic and BlowBack Ace

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2009
    Messages:
    407
    Thanks Received:
    56
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Ratings:
    +56
    I see where you coming from, but there is nothing wrong with them having what they worked hard to obtain.

    There is a difference when they get it by lobbying and having special relationships with regulators and politicians to get where they are. Also, to make matters worth is when they use those relationships to block competition into industries that would lower prices and provide higher quality to consumers.

    What needs to happen is the real recession to liquidate all this bad debt and the politicians and Fed need to stay out of bailing out there buddies and let them fail. We cannot continue this much longer because there is a financial crises around the corner that is being ignored. What I fear is when panic grips the market again they will call for a new WTO type international agency to oversea the world economies and this would be disastrous for human liberty and prosperity.
     
  6. healthmyths
    Offline

    healthmyths Gold Member Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2011
    Messages:
    15,253
    Thanks Received:
    2,045
    Trophy Points:
    245
    Ratings:
    +3,857
    I am NOT in the 1% but I honestly don't resent and definitely am motivated to be there!
    And if I don't get there at least I have tried and by trying have a better chance then just wasting my life with resentment for what the 1% have.
    "I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, honey, rich is better." Sophie Tucker
     
  7. ABikerSailor
    Offline

    ABikerSailor Platinum Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2008
    Messages:
    31,481
    Thanks Received:
    4,826
    Trophy Points:
    1,140
    Location:
    Amarillo TX
    Ratings:
    +8,517
    I have enough to eat, enough to drink, a roof over my head and water to bathe with.

    No............I'm NOT motivated to be in the top 1 percent.

    Why? Because along the way in a pursuit of nothing but money, you lose your humility and humanity.
     
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Vast LWC
    Offline

    Vast LWC <-Mohammed

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2009
    Messages:
    10,390
    Thanks Received:
    871
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    New York
    Ratings:
    +871
    About 8.7 million dollars, according to the best available data from the Survey of Consumer Finance.
     
  9. Baruch Menachem
    Offline

    Baruch Menachem '

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2008
    Messages:
    14,204
    Thanks Received:
    3,235
    Trophy Points:
    185
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    Old jok of Mark Twain's. Their money is twice tainted. Taint mine and it taint yours either.

    I don't give a rip about them or their cash.

    What I do care about is that a government that has licence to steal from one group to give to another also has licence to steal from me. Their security is my security
     
  10. Vast LWC
    Offline

    Vast LWC <-Mohammed

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2009
    Messages:
    10,390
    Thanks Received:
    871
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    New York
    Ratings:
    +871
    You can be as motivated as you want. The desk is marked. The dice are loaded.

    Chances are extremely small that you will ever be there.
     
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1

Share This Page