Do white people have a right to their own culture???

I've wondered this for a few months now. Do white people have equal rights to a white culture that other races and ethnicities do? You see on campuses different ethnic clubs. For Hispanics, Asians, African Americans, etc. And I think thats cool. I, for one, see no problem with people who enjoy being amongst others like them. It's possible to enjoy that while also not hating others.

For example, I hate rap music. Just doesn't do it for me. But I like Mexican music. And rock. I'm white, and can honestly say I have no hatred for a person based on race or ethnicity. I've truly pondered that for a long time about myself, rather than just blankly saying it. I found that I have no problems with other people or races, but I do dislike some cultures. Not their right to exist, but being surrounded by it. Like I said, I dislike rap. Hate loud music, especially with strong bass. I also don't drink or smoke. So I don't feel comfortable in many concert environments, but especially rap or heavy metal. I also am annoyed by slang. I prefer to speak and discuss in proper English. Not knocking people who use slang, I just prefer to not use it or discuss in it.

So it brings me to a question: Do white people have a right to their own culture? To softer music, lack of slang, blander foods, less flashy dress styles, etc? This stems from a lecture I got from a sociology professor in which he stated the white race is a generic, default race, and not a race at all. He argued since white is not a race, but the lack of a race, it's impossible to be racist against white people. That disliking white people or white culture is simply to dislike the lack of culture, lack of race, lack of substance.

So, his argument is white is not a race, but lack of race. White culture is simply a lack of culture. White is default, void of culture, racial identity, or ethnicity, thus it's impossible to be racist against a non-race, and white people can only identify with a culture if they take parts of another culture and adhere to it (like white kids trying to be hip-hop).

Thoughts?

I live in a white culture, and I grew up in a VERY white suburb. The area I live in is not very diverse.

Hence, your bleeding heart LOVE FOR ALL take care of everyone head in the cloud outlook. Shows me that white people are caring people. You are a product of the "white" environment that Zona denigrates.

:lol: That is it.

the entire American culture is a white persons culture for the most part.

I love it when people pretend they are downtrodden when they own nearly everything.

jesus people learn to fucking share mmmkay

Is it? Tell me then, what exactly is the white culture made of ?

Right now most top 40 music is rap/R&B. What restaurants are popular? Asian, Mexican, Soul Food, Italian? A steakhouse also. About equal.

Anyhow, maybe you can fill me in on what the white culture is.

You do realize that almost all popular music has it's roots in the Blues?

It all goes back to these

lg_DJEMBE.jpg

I've wondered this for a few months now. Do white people have equal rights to a white culture that other races and ethnicities do? You see on campuses different ethnic clubs. For Hispanics, Asians, African Americans, etc. And I think thats cool. I, for one, see no problem with people who enjoy being amongst others like them. It's possible to enjoy that while also not hating others.

For example, I hate rap music. Just doesn't do it for me. But I like Mexican music. And rock. I'm white, and can honestly say I have no hatred for a person based on race or ethnicity. I've truly pondered that for a long time about myself, rather than just blankly saying it. I found that I have no problems with other people or races, but I do dislike some cultures. Not their right to exist, but being surrounded by it. Like I said, I dislike rap. Hate loud music, especially with strong bass. I also don't drink or smoke. So I don't feel comfortable in many concert environments, but especially rap or heavy metal. I also am annoyed by slang. I prefer to speak and discuss in proper English. Not knocking people who use slang, I just prefer to not use it or discuss in it.

So it brings me to a question: Do white people have a right to their own culture? To softer music, lack of slang, blander foods, less flashy dress styles, etc? This stems from a lecture I got from a sociology professor in which he stated the white race is a generic, default race, and not a race at all. He argued since white is not a race, but the lack of a race, it's impossible to be racist against white people. That disliking white people or white culture is simply to dislike the lack of culture, lack of race, lack of substance.

So, his argument is white is not a race, but lack of race. White culture is simply a lack of culture. White is default, void of culture, racial identity, or ethnicity, thus it's impossible to be racist against a non-race, and white people can only identify with a culture if they take parts of another culture and adhere to it (like white kids trying to be hip-hop).

Thoughts?

No, because white people kept slaves. For this they must pay for eternity.
Who'd they buy them from? :eusa_whistle:

Thoughts?

Well, so happens to a degree I agree with your professor. The notion of race is flawed...it has no scientific basis. The social construct of whiteness, in America anyway, is obviously flawed. How else could it morph over time, distance and circumstance? Today you're white, tomorrow you're Asian, you put your left foot in and you shake it all about. C'mon now...that isn't race at all, that's designating members of the elite.

There is no "white culture" because, among other things, there is no homogeniety among all those anyone would be willing to agree with anyone else constitute "all the white people".

To softer music, lack of slang, blander foods, less flashy dress styles, etc?

Where are you from? Even a Minnesota "white" guy is not this grayed out. It sounds to me as if you think the experience of the mental illness called depression is "white culture". That is certainly not true...no one who has depression is experiencing the full range of joy from culture of any kind, unless it gets treated. (Sorry, Minnesota. I had to use something as an adjective. No hard feelings, okay?)

white people can only identify with a culture if they take parts of another culture and adhere to it (like white kids trying to be hip-hop).

"White" people can generate art, music, dance, etc. Whatever you and your professor see as "cultural forms", there are none that only people-who-do-not-look-to-be-non-white can generate, appreciate, contribute etc. But people do not "identify" with all cultural forms in their mileiu simply because some-pepole-who-look-like-them may be able to do so. Not all "blacks" enjoly rap. Not all "non-blacks" hate it. With popular music, it's more about age. The young like it because it is angry, loud and exciting...and because it pisses off older people. The old hate it, forgetting the loud, angry and exciting music of their own youth, or considering that music to be "better". In fact, age is a better clustering point for small groups than "racial appearance", as is income, power, sexuality, and various other features of being a living humanoid in a group setting.

The desire of some people to cluster with others of their "racial appearance" and exclude all people who do not "look like them" is based not on "race" or "white culture". All humans who are mentally healthy have an innate desire to cluster with "their own kind" aka "people who are just like me". We may enjoy being surrounded by folks whom we view as very, very different from ourselves because it is novel and exciting, but almost all humans tire of the sense of "nobody here is just like me" and seek to reduce or eliminate it. Almost all humans experience the "nobody here is just like me" sensation as anxiety of varying degrees. Some even experience it as panic.

When a person's "just like meness" is predominately or solely based on "people who look like me" and not on "people who think like me" or "people who have lead lives that are like mine" or "people who have the same goals as me" etc., -- and there are few such people, fewer still who have this peculiarity through their entire lives -- it is usually due to irrational and fearful shared beliefs (a sort of shared delusion) or on free-floating anxiety and irational fear(s) (e.g., if I am alone when the mailman comes, the dogs in the neighborhood will begin to gather into a pack and try to hurt me), displacement and longings for another place or time, (I am frightened by X and need to be with others who are also frightened by X in order to lower my painful anxiety level from Def Con Red), a sorrowful grieving for the loss of the homeland (I used to live in Portugal and now I live in Australia, so I need to find other Australians who emigrated here from Portugal to feel better because I miss it and Australia scares me a lot), the good old days, (beliefs about the past based on a sense that a critical level of power, prestige or wealth has been enjoyed by one's ancestor but not by oneself), the way it was before the bad thing happened, etc. (shared experiences of loss. E.g., I used to make a good living but they gave my job to a person who does not look like me, so I need to find others who look like me that have been through "the same thing" to feel better, because there is zero chance anyone else could understand how this makes me feel.) And these things are true about people generally. Small group clusters that are created from a shared sense of "just-like-meness" that is derived solely from a shared agreement as to who-looks-like-me and who does not are almost universally fear based adaptative behaviors to reduce painful anxieties and panic. As any one member's anxiety becomes lessened, they have a tendency to leave the group and seek out "just-like-meness" the same way everyone else does: by seeking shared values, experiences and goals that they highly prize.

I am not saying that any small group clustered around a perception of "race" is morally neutral. Merely because it may have an anxiety or panic reducing effect on its members is immaterial to whether belonging to it is moral...those are two entirely different questions.

I know this post reads like it was written by Rube Goldberg, and I am sorry about that. I have been struggling with the questions you asked for a very long time, and as you can tell by reading what I have written, I have no complete and final answers either. Just some vague idea as to whither the answers might lie.

Last edited:
JBeukema wrote::

Today you're white, tomorrow you're Asian

What the blazes are you babbling about?

O, just some history JB. There, there...don't cry. For example:

During the period of the mid 19th to mid 20th century,[19] it was common practice in anthropology to classify the world's populations in one of three great races, which, depending on the authority consulted, were further divided into various sub-races. The three great races were the Europid (Caucasian, white), Mongoloid (Asian) and Negroid (black) race.
There has never been any scholarly consensus on the delineation between the Europid race, including the populations of Europe, and the Mongoloid one, including the populations of East Asia. Thus, Carleton S. Coon (1939) included the populations native to all of Central and Northern Asia under the Caucasian label, while Thomas Henry Huxley (1870) classified the same populations as Mongoloid, and Lothrop Stoddard (1920) excluded the populations of the Middle East and North Africa as well as those of Central Asia, classifying them as "brown", and counted as "white" only the European peoples.
Some authorities, following Huxley (1870), distinguished the Xanthochroi or "light whites" of Northern Europe with the Melanochroi or "dark whites" of the Mediterranean.

White people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are either Caucasoid or Mongoloid. The only way to be both is to be mixed. The only reason people like you get confused is because you refuse to simply look at the DNA evidence and remain consistent.

The CMN terminology is vague because the three major races are but broad categories used to refer to a number of groups that have various similarities and differences and the persons you speak of did not have DNA analyses and were tentative and cautious when constructing the human family tree.

It's much like classifying the species and breeds of animals, where ruing species further complicate matters and a proper understanding of the relationships between the various populations requires DNA analyses and actually having a clue.

To claim that people magically changed their DNA because their origins were believed to be different by two different people using two different systems without the DNA evidence now available proves that not only do you not have a clue what you're speaking about, you also don't care abut the truth.

You are either Caucasoid or Mongoloid. The only way to be both is to be mixed. The only reason people like you get confused is because you refuse to simply look at the DNA evidence and remain consistent.

The CMN terminology is vague because the three major races are but broad categories used to refer to a number of groups that have various similarities and differences and the persons you speak of did not have DNA analyses and were tentative and cautious when constructing the human family tree.

It's much like classifying the species and breeds of animals, where ruing species further complicate matters and a proper understanding of the relationships between the various populations requires DNA analyses and actually having a clue.

JB, the fact that evolution has affected Homo Sapiens is not proof that race exists as a scientific matter. If "race" were a viable scientific term to apply to us, then it would act on us as "species" does on branches of the evolutionary trees of animals. That is, members of one race would not be able to procreate by mating with members of another, or if they could, their offspring would be infertile.

A person who "looks African" is NOT to a person who "looks Asian" as a horse is to a mule.

We are not different races. We are one race/species with a range of characteristics unevenly distributed among us due to ancestry and migration to which we assign social values.

To claim that people magically changed their DNA because their origins were believed to be different by two different people using two different systems without the DNA evidence now available proves that not only do you not have a clue what you're speaking about, you also don't care abut the truth.

Wish all you want JB. Far be it from me to deprive you of whatever joy it brings you to see humanity as you do.

Don't change reality one little bit, so it's no skin off my nose what you would LIKE to be true.

If "race" were a viable scientific term to apply to us, then it would act on us as "species" does on branches of the evolutionary trees of animals.

jesus-facepalm.jpg

species =/= race, you twit

That is, members of one race would not be able to procreate by mating with members of another, or if they could, their offspring would be infertile.

O RLY?

So a pitbull terrier and a german shepard can't have puppies and grandpuppies? You think species is the only division there is?

You probably think species is a neat dividing line, too, don't you? You don't even understand ring species, do you?
A person who "looks African" is NOT to a person who "looks Asian" as a horse is to a mule.

Nobody said all asians were the mothers of all blacks, you idiot. Except you. Because you're a moron and you have no idea what you're talking about.
We are not different races. We are one race/species

race =/= species, you idiot. Only you are claiming it does.

your sociology professor is an asshat. EOF

Former. I graduated 8 years ago. I was a sociology major. I was convinced upon graduation that I was guilty for being white. I was in fact one of those guilty white liberals for a year or two, until the real world showed me college professors are full of shit. That sociology department was full of professors like him. I remember getting lectures explaining how Karl Marx was a true leader, how George Bernard Shaw should be an example of policy making for all US presidents, on how 90% of current wealth owned by white Americans could be directly linked to trickle-up labor benefits from the slave era, about how if America would abolish it's military, the world would become peaceful, and we could spend that billions of $$$ on health services and infrastructure rather than bombers and ships. It was radical. AND....that was at a Southern Baptist Christian college. I can't fathom what it's like at Columbia, Chicago U, UC-Berkley.

bullshit

your sociology professor is an asshat. EOF

Former. I graduated 8 years ago. I was a sociology major. I was convinced upon graduation that I was guilty for being white. I was in fact one of those guilty white liberals for a year or two, until the real world showed me college professors are full of shit. That sociology department was full of professors like him. I remember getting lectures explaining how Karl Marx was a true leader, how George Bernard Shaw should be an example of policy making for all US presidents, on how 90% of current wealth owned by white Americans could be directly linked to trickle-up labor benefits from the slave era, about how if America would abolish it's military, the world would become peaceful, and we could spend that billions of $$$ on health services and infrastructure rather than bombers and ships. It was radical. AND....that was at a Southern Baptist Christian college. I can't fathom what it's like at Columbia, Chicago U, UC-Berkley.

bullshit
:eusa_shhh: Most of the cons lap this up...it's almost biblical to them.

So a pitbull terrier and a german shepard can't have puppies and grandpuppies? You think species is the only division there is?

This has become preposterous, JB. We have been at this point for days now.

DOGS are not a GROUP of species. Cat and dogs would an example of two different species. Genus, mammals.

Biology 101 just sorta sailed past you unnoticed huh?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/h/homo_(genus).htm

So now you've gone from calling asians a hybrid between black men and another species to pulling a cat out your ass and throwing in the middle of the conversation?

Again, you're the only one who ever said the different races were different species.

So now you've gone from calling asians a hybrid between black men and another species to pulling a cat out your ass and throwing in the middle of the conversation?

Again, you're the only one who ever said the different races were different species.

JB this "debate: with you is now sounding to me like this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29dqZs3a6Gc]YouTube - PeanutGallery[/ame]

Forum List

Back