Do white baby boomers want the days of ozzie & harriet back?

casper4020322

Dec 20, 2009
Seriously, when the days of Ozzie and Harriette with Ricky Nelson were popular it was the time that white teenagers only hung with their own kind. Black, Mexican or any other culture was not accepted into their group of friends b/c they were taught not to associate with those kinds of people and so they didn't. Remember the Andy Griffith Show? Not one black, latino or asian face was shown in the crowd when they had parades and founders day events. When the show went to color I saw a Black man and woman once, and they were in the back of the crowd. How many of you White people wish to be back in the day of Andy Griffith, Leave it to Beaver, Father Knows Best, etc. the days when people of color were totally excluded? Just asking?

Last edited:

Sure...some of them.

A whole lot more don't want that though, I suspect.

We were the generation which changed society from that Ozzie and Harriet world to the one we have now, after all.

I actually think the generations who followed ours are a tad more racist than we are.

And, given some of the excesses of our generations' limo liberal leadership, I can understand why that happened, too.

Sure...some of them.

We were the generation which changed society from that Ozzie and Harriet world to the one we have now, after all.

I actually think the generations who followed ours are a tad more racist than we are.

And, given some of the excesses of our generations' limo liberal leadership, I can understand why that happened, too.

Good assessment, Editec. I'm not a boomer, but a return to a calmer more civilized society would be welcomed by many.

This one wants the daze of Ozzy and Debbie Harry back,:cool:

Are you also down with the 90% top tax bracket we had?

How about the strength our unions had and how those unions created conditions wherein most full workers actually made a living wage?

How about going back to those days when American industries were protected from foreign inports by tariffs?

All those above things were in large part responsible (but not the entire story about) why the American Middle CLass was once so much more wealthy and happy than it is today.

You want the social benefits of that society, but without the economic and regulatory and tax structures that created that time, that kind of society will never again return.

If you want an OZZIE and Harriet kind of society, you also have to support that KIND of government we used to have.

Oh no, things are much better today.

70% Illegitimacy rate for blacks.
50% H.S. drop out rate.
Weak dollar.
14 Trillion deficit.

I would never want to go back to those "bad times".

That world never exsisted.

It was a TV show and the real life people were living at the time were not so rosey.

They just tried to HIDE everything that didnt fit the image back then.

It harmed all sorts of people and people lived many lies.

I don't think they want those days back. I think perhaps they think we have become a 'have it now' society whose expectations are unrealistic. I suspect they want us to see the value of a moral society and not the immoral, greedy, selfish, arrogant society that we currently encourage.

That isn't true. I had black friend's and Mexican friend's. My black friend from the 3rd grade and my Mexican friend from the 1st grade are still friend's to this day.
You are forgetting Lucy and Cuban hubby from the 50's.
Plenty of Black shows started in the late 60's and really took off in the 70's.
But, I would like to see civility come back. When you did not do certain things while you are out and about in the public.
I would like real comedy to come back without so much swearing. Red Skelton was hilarious and the man never used profanity.

I'm not sure what you are asking, caspar. IRL, in the 1950's I lived in a Catholic orphanage...Protestants and Jews were alien to me, nevermind blacks and Puerto Ricans. But I had had a pair of wonderful parents, and I watched the tv news. The Selma March broke my heart -- as did many things, back then. I never accepted the "us against them" mentality.....even when Kennedy was elected. (Or killed.)

I wouldn't turn back the clock.

That isn't true. I had black friend's and Mexican friend's. My black friend from the 3rd grade and my Mexican friend from the 1st grade are still friend's to this day.
You are forgetting Lucy and Cuban hubby from the 50's.
Plenty of Black shows started in the late 60's and really took off in the 70's.
But, I would like to see civility come back. When you did not do certain things while you are out and about in the public.
I would like real comedy to come back without so much swearing. Red Skelton was hilarious and the man never used profanity.

What is 'true' for one person, is not necessarily 'true' for another. We each had different experiences that help form our opinions. I grew up with black and hispanic friends. That doesn't mean that's the case for everyone.

Seriously, when the days of Ozzie and Harriette with Ricky Nelson were popular it was the time that white teenagers only hung with their own kind. Black, Mexican or any other culture was not accepted into their group of friends b/c they were taught not to associate with those kinds of people and so they didn't. Remember the Andy Griffith Show? Not one black, latino or asian face was shown in the crowd when they had parades and founders day events. When the show went to color I saw a Black man and woman once, and they were in the back of the crowd. How many of you White people wish to be back in the day of Andy Griffith, Leave it to Beaver, Father Knows Best, etc. the days when people of color were totally excluded? Just asking?

I dont want to live in a fantasy land. Why do you think the sixties happened?

Sure...some of them.

Good assessment, Editec. I'm not a boomer, but a return to a calmer more civilized society would be welcomed by many.

Calmer? The Korean war happened. The cold war was going full bore. The Red Scare was happening. It wasnt really calm.

I'd like to see two parent families if that's what you mean.

I agree, it would be really nice if women or men could stay at home and raise the kids like my mom did. The economy keeps this from happening.

I don't think they want those days back. I think perhaps they think we have become a 'have it now' society whose expectations are unrealistic. I suspect they want us to see the value of a moral society and not the immoral, greedy, selfish, arrogant society that we currently encourage.

People were just as immoral, greedy, selfish and arrogant then.

I dont want to live in a fantasy land. Why do you think the sixties happened?

It was indeed a peculiar time. One would live in an all white neighborhood, have only white friends, and yet sit around the television and cheer for baseball teams that featured several black baseball players! Or watch television replays of the boxing of Floyd Patterson (a black athlete). These black athletes "entered your living room" via TV, although not in person.

It startles me a bit, this wish by some to idealize the 1950's and want to return to that era. Life-killing sexual repression, the McCarthy Hearings, anxiety about the Atom Bomb, the Rosenbergs trial, Jim Crow laws, the KKK, etc., etc., etc. For some -- not all, by any means -- Americans, the period was one of great economic success, but that is because the Second World War had destroyed the economies and manufacturing power of Europe, leaving the US in a position to dominate world markets. T'aint like that'll be happening again -- EVER.

It startles me a bit, this wish by some to idealize the 1950's and want to return to that era. Life-killing sexual repression, the McCarthy Hearings, anxiety about the Atom Bomb, the Rosenbergs trial, Jim Crow laws, the KKK, etc., etc., etc. For some -- not all, by any means -- Americans, the period was one of great economic success, but that is because the Second World War had destroyed the economies and manufacturing power of Europe, leaving the US in a position to dominate world markets. T'aint like that'll be happening again -- EVER.

You just never know. Things are starting to get "sticky" world wide at the present time. Anything could happen. I try to be optimistic but you just never know.

the days when people of color were totally excluded? Just asking?
Todays people of color have the highest rates of STD's, unemployment, dropouts, teen pregnacys, abortions, obesity, prison population, ect.......

Maybe the colored people miss the 50's too?

Forum List

Back