Do we want a Democracy, or a Republic?

even my flamin'-lib father-in-law recognized that mob rule (i.e., pure democracy) is a bad thing...

his favorite saying was "The masses are asses and not fit to govern themselves"...

I'm happy with living in a democratic republic.

Which one do we want and why?

We are a democratic republic based on a constitution.

I'm fine with it as it is.

First two responses are wrong... No surprise to me.

We live in a representative republic.... Not a democracy. (And it needs to be repaired)

Our elected representatives go to the nations capital and vote for the people they "represent" back at home.

Last edited:

We live in a representative republic.... Not a democracy. (And it needs to be repaired)

Our elected representatives go to the nations capital and vote for the people they "represent" back at home.

Are you being serious right now?

Why do you ask?

Why do you ask?

We are a Democratic Representative Republic. We the people democratically elect our Representative.

What do you think a democratic republic is?

We vote for the representative to go to DC and represent us and our collective values.
So yes we democratically vote them into office, but we are a representative republic and not a democracy.
Plain and simple.... How many times will this question be asked on this site?

It does not matter what we want. We have a democratic Republic. If you want a pure Democracy you need to rewrite the Constitution in its entirety.

In a Total Democracy, Impulse, "The Flavor Of The Day" rules, through the control of the Majority,not a Constitution, which wouldn't be worth the price of the paper it is written on.

Funny, there was a time when a Constitutional Amendment required a 2/3 Super Majority to be brought to the floor for debate, and a 3/4 Super Majority to ratify it. I guess that was too difficult to do, compared to being able to buy off a Supreme Court Justice or 2.

Forum List

Back