Do we really want a discussion on racism?

bornright

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Texas
I know there are many threads on this subject but I did not want to look around to see where my thoughts would best fit. I have listened to this being brought up a lot but only one side really talks. When only one side gets to speak and you are called a racist if you have a different opinion it is not a discussion. I am a white male and my personal view is that most racism today is self inflicted.

The likes of Al Sharpton and many others speak of oppression as being the cause of the black race as a whole not doing well economically. What if you were on a football team and your coach tells the team there is no need to practice because the other team has better uniforms and the ref's always will rule against you? How much effort would you put out or would you just hate the coach or perhaps hate the other team and want to do violence on them? The individuals that want to succeed continue to train and put forth much effort. The likes of Al Sharpton have been preaching such for generations and is what seems to be implanted in the mind set of the black race. There are a large amount of black and white children today that are being raised by parents that have just given up in life. These kids are raised on the streets. One would have to believe that if you are raised on the streets your chances of being involved in crime and going to jail are much higher than if you are at home with loving parents that discipline you and encourage you. How can anyone expect anything but failure from them? Education is the only escape from this life that has been placed on them. Children of all races need to realize that obedience and making good grades in school is a good thing. I have been told by blacks that they are made fun of by other blacks if they make good grades. They are accused of wanting to be white.

Blacks must accept that there are some blacks that are just no good, just as there are in every other race. If you walk around all the time with a chip on your shoulder it will be knocked off sometimes. People of every race have unfair things happen to them. We all have. Suck it up and get over it.

The question is, do we need a discussion on racism?

Whites by and large are the least racist people. We tend to judge people on their character and their actions and not by the color of their skin.

this is a serious topic that is long over due. in fact, the only reason i visit this forum is in hopes for just that- a serious discussion about race relations.

from my limited perspective, this can only happen if/when we all try our best to leave our pre-conceived ideas at the door and open our minds to an intimate discussion that is free of anyone/everyone going on the defensive and hurling insults back and forth.

unfortunately, and much to my dismay, most of what i've read so far on this forum is just a bunch of incessant bickering back and forth over each and every topic raised.

i know and accept the fact that i inevitably bring my own biases, thoughts and ideas to the conversation, but I'm willing to put all my preconceived ideas on the back burner to honestly try to have a conversation.

i still sincerely hope this is possible, otherwise, i don't see a lot of hope that this forum will accomplish anything other than allow folks on all sides of any issues to vigorously defend their on preconceived ideas.

one of my favorite quotes is uniquely applicable here: "nothing can keep a man in ever lasting ignorance any more than contempt prior to investigation" (not verbatim).

if anyone on this forum is willing to have a true two-way discussion about race relations, i will actively participate, but if all i see is the defensive posturing and insults, i lose interest - life's too short to participate in an argument where everyone thinks they are 100% right (it's senseless and fruitless - a colossal waste of time).

No conversation needed. The black community will be fine in a couple of generations. Racists are being marginalized and are reduced to posting their impotent rage on internet forums. Everyone will be better off once they've passed.

As long as blacks tend to perform poorly on all the mental aptitude tests however they are designed, in school, and on jobs requiring superior intelligence, as long as they have a crime rate that is about seven times the white crime rate, and an illegitimacy rate that is about three times the white rate, white racism will persist.

Blacks turn whites into racists with their performance and behavior.

No conversation needed. The black community will be fine in a couple of generations. Racists are being marginalized and are reduced to posting their impotent rage on internet forums. Everyone will be better off once they've passed.

Unfortunately, every social measure says your wrong. Whites have largely taken responsibility for the wrongs of the past and have taken legal steps to correct those wrongs.

So tell me.....what have blacks done to take responsibility for problems in their community?

Exactly....I didn't think so. That's why we cannot have an "honest" conversation about race. Pretty tough when only one side is always considered wrong. :(

Unfortunately, every social measure says your wrong. Whites have largely taken responsibility for the wrongs of the past and have taken legal steps to correct those wrongs.

So tell me.....what have blacks done to take responsibility for problems in their community?

Exactly....I didn't think so. That's why we cannot have an "honest" conversation about race. Pretty tough when only one side is always considered wrong. :(
Black crime has dropped dramatically in the last couple decades, we have the most black doctors, lawyers, politicians, etc. in all of history.

Black people have been free less than 50 years. Sorry they're inconveniencing you.

Black crime has dropped dramatically in the last couple decades, we have the most black doctors, lawyers, politicians, etc. in all of history.

Black people have been free less than 50 years. Sorry they're inconveniencing you.

Why have black rates of crime and illegitimacy risen since the civil rights legislation was signed?

One of the arguments in favor of the civil rights legislation was that if blacks were given equal rights they would begin to perform and behave as well as whites. This has obviously not happened.

Why have black rates of crime and illegitimacy risen since the civil rights legislation was signed?

One of the arguments in favor of the civil rights legislation was that if blacks were given equal rights they would begin to perform and behave as well as whites. This has obviously not happened.
You should look at more current trends. It doesn't really matter if you do or don't though, the world will move on with or without you. :thup:

Not an inconvenience. And yes...there are some successful blacks. Crime rates have dropped because 1 in 7 black men are incarcerated. Even so, half of all murders in the U.S. are still committed by blacks who comprise 12.5% of the population.

Blacks are 3x more likely to commit a violent crime than any other race.

Black poverty rates, crime, lack of education, child illegitimacy, etc are vastly worse than whites.

School....you know all of this. So why the deflection? That isn't an "honest" discussion about race. :(

You should look at more current trends. It doesn't really matter if you do or don't though, the world will move on with or without you. :thup:

Current trends are much worse, School. Much, much worse. If you are ignorant about this please look up the data. Again....what are blacks doing to take responsibility regarding issues in their own community.

If we want to have an honest discussion about race that would probably be a real good place to start. :)

Not an inconvenience. And yes...there are some successful blacks. Crime rates have dropped because 1 in 7 black men are incarcerated. Even so, half of all murders in the U.S. are still committed by blacks who comprise 12.5% of the population.

Black poverty rates, crime, lack of education, child illegitimacy, etc are vastly worse than whites.

School....you know all of this. So why the deflection? That isn't an "honest" discussion about race. :(
1 in 7 black men are not in jail. That's bullshit. Half of all murders are not committed by blacks. That is bullshit.
FactCheck do black Americans commit more crime

I don't know if blacks are 3x more likely to commit crime. I'm going to bed soon and don't feel like looking that up.

Lastly, of course black poverty rates, crime, lack of education, child illegitimacy, ect are vastly worse than whites. Whites have only allowed blacks to be free for less than 50 years after all.

Current trends are much worse, School. Much, much worse. If you are ignorant about this please look up the data. Again....what are blacks doing to take responsibility regarding issues in their own community.

If we want to have an honest discussion about race that would probably be a real good place to start. :)
Current trends are not worse. You have a prejudice against black people. That prevents you from having an honest conversation.

Current trends are not worse. You have a prejudice against black people. That prevents you from having an honest conversation.

So you know what is in my heart? You must be psychic. :) Using the racism card is just sad, School. Real sad. :(

1 in 7 black men are not in jail. That's bullshit. Half of all murders are not committed by blacks. That is bullshit.
FactCheck do black Americans commit more crime

I don't know if blacks are 3x more likely to commit crime. I'm going to bed soon and don't feel like looking that up.

Lastly, of course black poverty rates, crime, lack of education, child illegitimacy, ect are vastly worse than whites. Whites have only allowed blacks to be free for less than 50 years after all.

Schoolio.....do you even read your own links. Per your link:

"And yes, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, black offenders committed 52 per cent of homicides recorded in the data between 1980 and 2008. Only 45 per cent of the offenders were white. Homicide is a broader category than “murder” but let’s not split hairs."

Some more facts for you Schoolio. :D

"According to the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), African Americans constitute nearly 1 million of the total 2.3 million incarcerated population, and have nearly six times the rate of whites."

"In an August 2013, Sentencing Project report on Racial Disparities in the United States Criminal Justice System, submitted to the United Nations, "one of every three black American males born today can expect to go to prison in his lifetime".[4][5]

• A black male born in 1991 has a 29% chance of spending time in prison at some point in his life.[6]
  • One out of nine African American men will be incarcerated between the ages of 20 and 34.
  • Black males ages 30 to 34 have the highest incarceration rate of any race/ethnicity.

Statistics of incarcerated African-American males - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

So School....I'll ask a final time. What are blacks doing to take responsibility for problems in their own communities?

Thanks in advance for your answer. :)

Forum List

Back