Do We Need Religion?

I already explained that, Anne. it's a coping mechanism they resorted to when faced with their lack of understanding, much like yourself. For a scientific mind to reach the limits of comprehension and not know the answer is infuriating, so many weaker hearts have grasped for an escape in the form of religion

That's one individual's opinion. It certainly not mne, nor is that close to any perception I have of a divine being, or existence.

Sorry...

Anne Marie

So, JB, you are also challenging the likes of Albert Einstein, Issac Newton, and the likes of hundreds of Nobel Laureates on Physics, Chemistry, Medicine, Psychiatry, Astonomy, Geometry and an array of Scientifically based professions who have exceeded the common criteria of excellence in their field. 50 Nobel Laureates and Other Great Scientists Who Believe in God

Sheesh, if I had to choose a simpleton in this crowd solely on credibility, it would have to be you, Sir.

Anne Marie

So, JB, you are also challenging the likes of Albert Einstein, Issac Newton, and the likes of hundreds of Nobel Laureates on Physics, Chemistry, Medicine, Psychiatry, Astonomy, Geometry and an array of Scientifically based professions who have exceeded the common criteria of excellence in their field. 50 Nobel Laureates and Other Great Scientists Who Believe in God

Sheesh, if I had to choose a simpleton in this crowd solely on credibility, it would have to be you, Sir.

Anne Marie

There is only one flaw, minor, and it's more of a grammatical error, should be "a god" ...

So, JB, you are also challenging the likes of Albert Einstein,

Tell me, are you a liar or justuninformed? Which is it?

Einstein did not believe in a personal god.

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.
-(Albert Einstein, 1954)

Issac Newton

Newton reached the limits of his understanding and turned to religion and alchemy for the answers he did not have.

and the likes of hundreds of Nobel Laureates on Physics, Chemistry, Medicine, Psychiatry, Astonomy, Geometry and an array of Scientifically based professions who have exceeded the common criteria of excellence in their field.

The majority of highly respected scientists, including those in the Royal Academy and it's American equivalent (the name of whchi ch I can't seem to recall at the moment) are not religious. Most are agnostic atheists by their own admissions. That is why there is no 'ID debate' in the halls of science; the greatest minds have dismissed such fairy tales and superstition.

Your source is lies. I have cited Einstein himself as refuting their claim.

Coming from an uninformed foo like you, that's not saying much.

-The Reverend James Teunis Beukema

Anne Marie

There is only one flaw, minor, and it's more of a grammatical error, should be "a god" ...

that, and the fact that her 'information' is false :eusa_whistle:

So we're supposed to believe it because they do?

It doesn't matter how intelligent you are, you can still be weak. Just because they figured out something about the universe doesn't mean they have some knowledge we don't. They just think differently than most other people. Who cares about Nobel prize winners in economics and other such categories with no relevance to the religion vs science fight? How many of those nobel prize winners are in quantum mechanics?

You have to rememeber as well that if the people back in the day didn't proclaim Jesus as the number 1 scientist they were never taken seriously, and sometimes killed. My point being that a historical record may be inaccurate of someones true beliefs and scientists like Newton Da Vinci etc be left out.

The more I see from organized religions, the more I believe that religious organizations should be treated the same as urban gangs.

I don't take any individual's word about anything unless I'm about to buy "the farm." At that point, it's a huge can of worms...

In any case, I've already explained my position on matters concerning religion and that of genuine faith. The rest of the majority of the remarks, as was fully expected, is predicated on idle supposition, unsubstantiated conjecture, and a dash of diatribe.

Anne Marie

Should it be I that keeps swinging, or should it be We that keeps swinging. Just trying to clear that up since you seem to be confused on those two words and their meanings.

It is you that should keep swinging. But as long as keep your blindfold on, I don't hold out much hope that you'll ever hit anything.

Well unlike you I hold on to the hope that someday you know what "We" is.

I do. So consider your hopes fulfilled.

And please, do keep swinging. :lol:

The only thing religion does is bring people of different backgrounds together. So when a rich man says I'm one of you, I'm christian, you believe it. When really he has no idea of your life is or who you are. Religion is what lets the people in power exploit the people without power.

So, JB, you are also challenging the likes of Albert Einstein,

Tell me, are you a liar or justuninformed? Which is it?

Einstein did not believe in a personal god.

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.
-(Albert Einstein, 1954)

Newton reached the limits of his understanding and turned to religion and alchemy for the answers he did not have.

The majority of highly respected scientists, including those in the Royal Academy and it's American equivalent (the name of whchi ch I can't seem to recall at the moment) are not religious. Most are agnostic atheists by their own admissions. That is why there is no 'ID debate' in the halls of science; the greatest minds have dismissed such fairy tales and superstition.

Your source is lies. I have cited Einstein himself as refuting their claim.

Coming from an uninformed foo like you, that's not saying much.

-The Reverend James Teunis Beukema

JB I have here 5 quotes by Einstein. I found them at Collected Quotes from Albert Einstein

Here are the 5.
"I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details."

"I am convinced that He (God) does not play dice." (disliked quantum mechanics)

"God is subtle but he is not malicious."

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically."

So? What kind of a God did Einstein believe in? Light?

do we need religion?

Individually, no. There are plenty of people who get by just fine without religion.

As a species, probably. Capacity for abstract thought inevitably leads one to the somewhat cliched BIG QUESTIONS. Why are we here? What is the meaning of life? How the universe begin? etc. Religion provides answers to these questions and believers accept them on faith regardless of lack of proof. Having answers, even unproven ones, can be reasureing.

[

JB I have here 5 quotes by Einstein. I found them at Collected Quotes from Albert Einstein

Here are the 5.
"I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details."

He explained this in the conte4xt of physics explaining the proverbial 'mind of god'
"I am convinced that He (God) does not play dice." (disliked quantum mechanics)

Again, one need not be atheist to use easily understood idoms or images. Einstein had personal issues excepting the Uncertainty Principle and elements of Chaos Theory. he was human, and he had his moments of weakness like us all.

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

Again, he spoke often of what he meant by 'religion' Much like Russel and others, Einstein made the error of using common language to be understood, which inadvertently led to misinterpretations and confusion in simple minds like yours,
"

So? What kind of a God did Einstein believe in? Light?

It is misrepresentations like yours that he was referring to in the quotation i cited.

I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings.
-Albert Einstein

Wiki:
Spinoza viewed God and Nature as two names for the same reality....
It is a sort of philisophical deism

Anne Marie

There is a problem with this arguement.

First off, they are scientists and not Theologians. You can use the "If she/he is smart/logical in this subject, then she/he is smart/logical in all subject."

But that arguement is not logical!

Second, their ideas on religion and GOD may differ significantly from each other--so any consensus they may come up with will be the most brittle of consensus!!

Third--God is used sparingly between believers of any religious concept. So you have to find their dairy and notes on the subject just to come up with what religion(if any) each scientist believed.

Now to the question--Do we need Religion. Some individuals do in the sense they cannot roll out of Bed without some kind of faith, belief, hope that will get them through the day. If religion was to go away, those individuals may be undone.

So it is not a question if we need religion or not, because that question can not be answered by any collection of people. The question should be "Do you need religion?"

To Each his own....

Forum List

Back