Do We Need A Fathers' Rights Movement?

Well, I did say almost. I don't think there is a forum where that can be done without both parents agreeing but no, it would not defeat the purpose. The parents are not the ones that are on 'trial' here, it is the child. The sentence is not for the parents. You may feel differently if your child is taken away but it is not you that live out the ruling, it is the child and that really should be the main concern here.

I agree and therein lies one of the problems. This part of the discussion did begin with the statement:

and an independent council would not help that situation whatsoever. There really is no other way around that but typically in a custody case there will be character witnesses and that helps alleviate the he said/she said problem. In my custody case, the judge was INCREDIBLY biased to the mother in previous cases but my father showed up with a 1200 page document of character witnesses from landlords to friends for both parties and that did help make the judge see the light of day. There is a concern that the judge may not give the weight they should to such evidence but that is another matter.

The biggest problem I think that custody cases have is the time and cost involved. I think that needs to be addressed because some very good parents are left by the wayside from simple lack of funds and cases take 2+ years. Sometimes the case cannot be resolved before the child grows up and that is bullshit. A case should be resolved cheaply and quickly (under 6 months) with simple appeals processes for changing custody rules. I almost feel that the process would be better served without legal counsel at all. That can cloud the issue as this is not a criminal matter.

without legal counsel ? well that would defeat the whole purpose wouldn't it ? :cool:

A man, or a woman, would be a damned fool to enter into a child custody agreement without legal representation.

yes--attorney's have stacked the deck against us. These laws accomplish nothing other than to line the pockets of lawyers.

Well, I did say almost. I don't think there is a forum where that can be done without both parents agreeing but no, it would not defeat the purpose. The parents are not the ones that are on 'trial' here, it is the child. The sentence is not for the parents. You may feel differently if your child is taken away but it is not you that live out the ruling, it is the child and that really should be the main concern here.

I agree the child should come first, but they rarely do. Invariably there is one parent, at least, who is pissed off and uses the child as a weapon. Mostly that is the woman, and the court systems are CLEARLY biased towards them in this regard.

Forum List

Back