CDZ Do We Have A Right To Know What's In Our Food?

Of course. Simple self protection.

But thinking that forcing McDonald's etc. to post the info or limiting 7-11 drink portions by law will change anyone's diet is a lost cause.
Stick to the OP. Don't go careening off the depend.

Glad to know you believe that we have a right to know what's in our food.

Now why do you think the companies are against this?

I have been researching this for a while ...If we knew everything they put in our food we wouldn't eat it..lol
For instance they put hair from china in bread to keep it fluffy..I found that to be so gross..Daves Bread doesn't.
Link below

The chickens are being sent to China to be processed and they don't have to label it..not to think of what happens to cows or other animals..:sad:

The congress is making it harder to understand labeling, not only in our foods but things we put on our bodies like lotion or hair soap basically everything.

The list goes on, which is why I try to cook from scratch or buy home made lotions soaps. But I have time now, many are so busy they have to go with the convenience of pre-packaged foods / products

There's Human Hair in Your Bread
I'm sorry, this is a ridiculous assertion. there is not human hair in bread.

Do you believe that we have a right to know what's in the food we purchase every day and put into our bodies?

Why/why not?

I think we have a right to know the ingredients. I don't think we have a right to know if the ingredients meet somebody's arbitrary stamp of approval since your OP appears to be a tricky away of getting people to commit to Yes before dropping the "Then why don't you support GMO labeling?" bomb on them.

But thinking that forcing McDonald's etc. to post the info or limiting 7-11 drink portions by law will change anyone's diet is a lost cause.

I have been researching this for a while ...If we knew everything they put in our food we wouldn't eat it..lol
For instance they put hair from china in bread to keep it fluffy..I found that to be so gross..Daves Bread doesn't.
Link below

The chickens are being sent to China to be processed and they don't have to label it..not to think of what happens to cows or other animals..:sad:

The congress is making it harder to understand labeling, not only in our foods but things we put on our bodies like lotion or hair soap basically everything.

The list goes on, which is why I try to cook from scratch or buy home made lotions soaps. But I have time now, many are so busy they have to go with the convenience of pre-packaged foods / products

There may be lots of things in your bread. I know someone who works in the lab at a food processing plant. Says the stuff ground up in the flour is both legal and nasty if you think about it too much. It is just ground so fine, nobody notices, but there isn't much of a way to not have it there and still be able to afford flour.

Link below

There may be lots of things in your bread. I know someone who works in the lab at a food processing plant. Says the stuff ground up in the flour is both legal and nasty if you think about it too much. It is just ground so fine, nobody notices, but there isn't much of a way to not have it there and still be able to afford flour.
im sorry, i understand that there can be impurities and that a certain level is acceptable-and that if we think on it too much we'll be disgusted.

but claiming hair as an ingredient in bread is ridiculous

What kind of food are you buying that you don't know what's in it? What do you think might be in, say, a tomato, butter, eggs, spices and seasonings, cheese, cabbage, liver or chicken? Sugars, proteins and fats. I don't believe I've wondered what more than that is in the food I buy. I know certain fish have mercury in them. I just don't buy that kind of fish. If there are other kinds of fish, or poultry or "whatever" that have harmful and not "normally" found ingredients in them, I would want to know, but absent knowing, I'm not going to have a conniption over my ignorance of such a fact.

To answer you question, I don't know if there we have a right to know what's in food. I know that knowing the ratio of sugars, proteins, and fats in any given food item is conducive to healthy eating, but then I don't need a food producer to tell me those things, for it's widely available on the Internet. I don't have a "beef" to raise about food producers being required to share the ingredients/makeup of the food they sell, but neither do I have a problem with their not being made to do so. I'm certainly not worried that food producers may willfully put harmful ingredients in their products. I am sure they don't aim to do that because doing so goes contrary to their achieving going concern and profit motives.
There are chemicals used in just about every. single. product. you buy at your local supermarket.

I think it's a right to know exactly what the chemicals they put in the food to sell to us.

Don't be so obtuse.

What benefit is loss from knowing? What's the down-side to knowing? Why do you seem to be kicking so hard against this?

Red:
??? "Kicking against it?" How so? Can you not distinguish between indifference and opposition? Didn't I write that I don't have a problem with food producers being required to disclose what is in the food they sell?

im sorry, i understand that there can be impurities and that a certain level is acceptable-and that if we think on it too much we'll be disgusted.

L-cysteine, for example, is an amino acid used to extend shelf-life in things like commercial, factory-made bread, and it's most often synthesised from human hair (as well as duck feathers, cow horns and pig bristles).Sep 11, 2014

Link below

I have heard this L-cysteine argument before. I have seen you deny it a couple times. DO you actually have any source that shows that it is not actually used or is only used in isolation?

Do you believe that we have a right to know what's in the food we purchase every day and put into our bodies?

Why/why not?
Of course you do. You also exercise or wave that right when you make a purchase that has known or unknown ingredients.

You are baiting the board though - perhaps you would simply like to get to the point then rather than stringing out a few questions that I have a suspicion are not directly related.

^speaking of ulterior motives with questions not actually related.

I can think of many reasons off the top of my head however you would have to establish that they actually are against this to even bother.

The reality is that food is already extensively labeled.

Link below

I have heard this L-cysteine argument before. I have seen you deny it a couple times. DO you actually have any source that shows that it is not actually used or is only used in isolation?
Doesn't matter if it's widely used or not - it isn't hair.

No, not necessarily, but I wouldn't be opposed to their being a requirement that all weaponry be of the sort we had to use "way back when." The ranged weapons we use these days make the act of war and its realities comparatively antiseptic. Perhaps folks would "think twice" were they faced with the "in your face" harshness and brutality that truly is war. Additionally, I'm not "knocking" progress; I'm merely saying that we need to keep things in perspective, and one part of that perspective is that we didn't get "here" because we "flipped out" over diseased meat. Heck, I suspect there were plenty of diseases we didn't even know existed and just ate the food and went on to bed and woke the next day to hunt and gather again.

Is the FDA allowing pathogens in our food that it knows will kill people all but outright? I don't think so. Am I going to develop the skills of a veterinarian, bacteriologist or virologist in order to recognize the signs of food infection or test every food item I want to eat, to say nothing of obtaining the materials I'd need to actually test it? Hell, no!

The consequence of that is that I have to trust that the FDA/Dept of Agriculture (DoAg) (or whatever other gov't agency/dept plays a role in the food supply) knows what it's doing far more so than I do. I can live with that consequence, or die by it if I must. There's no limit to the nature and extent of things I can allow to disconcert me, but whether the FDA/DoAg is doing as good a job as it can balancing the risks of harm to the populace with needs for an abundant and safe-to-eat food supply, and one that doesn't require consumers to be outright rich to afford to eat, just aren't among those things.
Well my whole point is that once we know better, we do better. We don't go back to doing things "the old way" simply because folks in the past managed to survive it.

The only thing we take from the past is wisdom from learning from our mistakes. And memories. That's it.

Why/why not?

I think we have a right to know the ingredients. I don't think we have a right to know if the ingredients meet somebody's arbitrary stamp of approval since your OP appears to be a tricky away of getting people to commit to Yes before dropping the "Then why don't you support GMO labeling?" bomb on them.
Let's just stick to the OP, w/o jumping to radical conclusions. Shall we?

Why/why not?

Let's just stick to the OP, w/o jumping to radical conclusions. Shall we?

There is nothing in my post that is not related to the OP so consider it stuck.

L-cysteine, for example, is an amino acid used to extend shelf-life in things like commercial, factory-made bread, and it's most often synthesised from human hair (as well as duck feathers, cow horns and pig bristles).Sep 11, 2014

You know, I really don't care about L-cysteine. After all, it's in most pizza dough, and I have been eating pizza my whole life, as have my parents and my kids. My parents are in their 90s. I don't think L-cysteine has afforded them their longevity, but I also don't think it's the reason they may not live to be 110, say.

Forum List

Back