CDZ Do We Have A Right To Know What's In Our Food?

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
Do you believe that we have a right to know what's in the food we purchase every day and put into our bodies?

Why/why not?

Of course. Simple self protection.

But thinking that forcing McDonald's etc. to post the info or limiting 7-11 drink portions by law will change anyone's diet is a lost cause.

But thinking that forcing McDonald's etc. to post the info or limiting 7-11 drink portions by law will change anyone's diet is a lost cause.
Stick to the OP. Don't go careening off the depend.

Glad to know you believe that we have a right to know what's in our food.

Now why do you think the companies are against this?

Because if people knew they would learn to cook again. So much for TV dinners.

possum thought he had bugs in his balogna sammich...

... till Granny showed him...

... dey was lil' black olive pieces.

I have been researching this for a while ...If we knew everything they put in our food we wouldn't eat it..lol
For instance they put hair from china in bread to keep it fluffy..I found that to be so gross..Daves Bread doesn't.
Link below

The chickens are being sent to China to be processed and they don't have to label it..not to think of what happens to cows or other animals..:sad:

The congress is making it harder to understand labeling, not only in our foods but things we put on our bodies like lotion or hair soap basically everything.

The list goes on, which is why I try to cook from scratch or buy home made lotions soaps. But I have time now, many are so busy they have to go with the convenience of pre-packaged foods / products

There's Human Hair in Your Bread

possum thought he had bugs in his balogna sammich...

... till Granny showed him...

... dey was lil' black olive pieces.
Bologna made from the finest chicken lips and assholes is the bee-knees for jail food....Personally I prefer to know everything that is sold as a food item..After working in several food manufacturing plants I know a lot of what is put into food items, so I never buy prepared foods..

because some companies just might be underhanded assholes and would use rat meat instead of chicken if they could....

I have been researching this for a while ...If we knew everything they put in our food we wouldn't eat it..lol
For instance they put hair from china in bread to keep it fluffy..I found that to be so gross..Daves Bread doesn't.
Link below

The chickens are being sent to China to be processed and they don't have to label it..not to think of what happens to cows or other animals..:sad:

The congress is making it harder to understand labeling, not only in our foods but things we put on our bodies like lotion or hair soap basically everything.

The list goes on, which is why I try to cook from scratch or buy home made lotions soaps. But I have time now, many are so busy they have to go with the convenience of pre-packaged foods / products

There's Human Hair in Your Bread
nothing like a little Chinese hair in that sandwich.....

We have so much information available to us that any literate person easily determine what is in his food. More labeling won't help stupid illiterates.

Just sayin'.

A Constitutional right? No.
Let me push back a little.

Doesn't knowing what food the government allows to be sold in the open market fall under them looking out for our general wellfare? Which is a constitutional right if I'm not mistaken.

We have so much information available to us that any literate person easily determine what is in his food. More labeling won't help stupid illiterates.

Just sayin'.
Where is this information available? The package/product we're about to buy, or some external source? If not on the actual product, why not on, or near, the product itself?

Just sayin'.
Where is this information available? The package/product we're about to buy, or some external source? If not on the actual product, why not on, or near, the product itself?

Food manufacturers are already required to put the ingredients on the package, so all one has to do is read the list. And if you don't trust a restaurant or a butcher to provide quality items as described on the menu or in the butcher case, then don't patronize their businesses.

Food manufacturers are already required to put the ingredients on the package, so all one has to do is read the list. And if you don't trust a restaurant or a butcher to provide quality items as described on the menu or in the butcher case, then don't patronize their businesses.
So according to you, we already have all the ingredients on every food product available to us in the open market via the package/product itself. Is that correct?

A Constitutional right? No.
Let me push back a little.

Doesn't knowing what food the government allows to be sold in the open market fall under them looking out for our general wellfare? Which is a constitutional right if I'm not mistaken.

The federal government has no power over what food is 'allowed' to be sold. General Welfare is perhaps the most abused clause in the document, at least by those that seek to reject the notion of a federal government with limited powers. After all, ANYTHING could be considered controllable by the central planners if it was the fed's job to provide welfare, which was not the original intent. Not even close. In fact, it meant the opposite of what you're implying. General welfare is not giving the government the authority over every area of life, but only those specific powers listed or enumerated in the Constitution.

Let's see what Jame Madison had to say about it:

“With respect to the words general welfare, I have always regarded them as qualified by the detail of powers connected with them. To take them in a literal and unlimited sense would be a metamorphosis of the Constitution into a character which there is a host of proofs was not contemplated by its creator.”

Why so many support the notion of every increasing central control is beyond baffling to me. Are you just naturally inclined to want to be told what to do? I don't get that.

So according to you, we already have all the ingredients on every food product available to us in the open market via the package/product itself. Is that correct?

That would depend on how detailed you define information. I don't need to know that the corn in a tortilla came from Farmer Jones cornfield at such and such latitude and longitude in Kansas.

Forum List

Back