Do We Even Know What Good And Evil Are Anymore??

Thornton said:
Here's my take on it. I think man has love and stuff. Not necessarily from a god, just inside. Like no matter how mad we get some of us just couldn't actually kill someone else. When we get real mad we can say it and some things would even justify it, but we couldn't actually *pull the trigger.* Why some people can cross the line is what we would call evil. It can't be some moral thing cause we're all taught the same things are right and wrong. It has to be something inside.

Technology in medical studies shows more all the time about brain chemistry. So if it's all true and it's how we are born then no decisions we make really come from anywhere except what our own body makes in our brains. If the chemistry is off then people do bad things. That seems to be what separates
people that are considered immoral from those who are moral.

You've seen it where people have a lot of kids all raised in the same house by the same parents under the same circumstances and for some reason one turns into a killer. If it was morals and religion instead of something like brain chemistry, how could that happen?

what if brain chemistry is a form of divine intervention?

dilloduck wrote:

Why would imbalance causing killing, abuse and bad stuff in general be divine intervention?

I think it's just messed up when people develope. Or maybe DNA. But divine intervention? Nah.

Thornton said:
dilloduck wrote:

Why would imbalance causing killing, abuse and bad stuff in general be divine intervention?

I think it's just messed up when people develope. Or maybe DNA. But divine intervention? Nah.

Ok I'm convinced--no possibilty of a God. :rolleyes:

Bonnie said:
True parents are a big force in upbringing, however I would ask where did they get their moral philosophy from?

Well you could go pretty far with that. You could ask where people got morality before Christianity, and before Judaism, and before the advent of religion as a whole. You could ask why morality has changed so much over the last 2000 years.

Why does morality differ from culture to culture? Why does one man get away with murder on a clean conscience and another feel compelled to flog himself for farting audibly in church? If morality comes to us from a universal source why isn't it standardized?

deaddude said:
Well you could go pretty far with that. You could ask where people got morality before Christianity, and before Judaism, and before the advent of religion as a whole. You could ask why morality has changed so much over the last 2000 years.

Why does morality differ from culture to culture? Why does one man get away with murder on a clean conscience and another feel compelled to flog himself for farting audibly in church? If morality comes to us from a universal source why isn't it standardized?

If you ask Christians and Jews, there wasn't anything at all before Judaism. If you believe the Bible, then Judaism started when God gave Adam a single commandment. Now, as for why it's changed so much, let's talk philosophy. According to philosophy, there is a universal truth, but we haven't found it. According to Christians and Jews, there is a universal source of morality, we just don't understand Him. I believe that the more we understand the teachings of Jesus, the more our morality progresses.

dilloduck said:

Now I know why the religious right fights tooth and nail to maintain that homosexuality is a choice. If it is brain chemistry, then God makes gays. That just wouldn't do...no sir, wouldn't do.

MissileMan said:
Now I know why the religious right fights tooth and nail to maintain that homosexuality is a choice. If it is brain chemistry, then God makes gays. That just wouldn't do...no sir, wouldn't do.

Even if it was brain chemistry so what? All those who claim that its natural to be gay seem to have basic misunderstandings of what the gospel is. The fall of adam made us carnal, sensual, devlish, etc all the bad things we have or can do came because man is in a fallen state. We arent in the state God created us in.

We are in the state of the natural man. hatred, intolerance, violence, fear, etc and all the attrbutes the homosexual movement claim to try to be removing from the rest of us are just as natural as well. Its the basic inconsistancy of their argument. We should accept homosexuality because its natural but we should stop hating homosexuals or being intolerant of them or fearing them which is also natural? it makes no sense (note im not saying any really does hate, is intolerant, or fearing homosexuals. Its usually a baseless accusation to begin with. Just pointing out the inconsistancy of what they are trying to argue).

However, the Gospel changes human nature. Thats the whole point of Christ and the Atonement. So we can be born again into new people. Its one of the miracles of God.

The Lord works from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of people, and then they take themselves out of the slums. The world would mold men by changing their environment. Christ changes men, who then change their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature.

So you see it doenst matter if it is natural. Because God can change nature. Though we may be in a fallen natural state our very nature can be changed. That is why people who have experienced such a change are so outspoken about the Gospel. We have felt the miracle in our lives and because of that have found more joy and happiness than is possible without it and want others to feel the same.

Forum List

Back